PDA

View Full Version : MP3: Advanced query

Excalibur
04-04-2010, 06:33 PM
Right folks, I know I should have dione this first, but when I did this, I went for fastest option. I have not levelled the volume across the tracks. Is there a program which can level an entire HD? Will MM do this?

New rippers be warned: Level and tag first. :Naughty:

WWDJ
04-04-2010, 06:38 PM
MP3GAIN is your friend.

Excalibur
04-04-2010, 06:43 PM
MP3GAIN is your friend.

Ta for that, I will investigate.

Mark Wild
04-04-2010, 06:51 PM
VDJ has automatic gain. :p

Excalibur
04-04-2010, 07:04 PM

Listen smartbottom, I know what VDJ is. :p :p After using it at a function of Justin's, I now know how to make a track play. :eek: :eek: :eek:

BeerFunk
04-04-2010, 08:22 PM
Pre-listen on headphones... :sofa:

Excalibur
04-04-2010, 08:28 PM
Pre-listen on headphones... :sofa:

Sir, while I note with gratitude your well meaning, helpful and well intentioned advice, it will be of no use whatsoever in the two scenarios I have in mind.
1) Loading onto the newly acquired MP3 player for Mrs Excalibur.
2) Playing continuously on hands free rig, if I can ever work out how to create a playlist.

Thanks anyway.

Totally Plucked
05-04-2010, 07:03 AM
I use MP3GAIN (freebie) and set level at 92db and this seems to work well for me

Alchemy
05-04-2010, 07:07 AM

As has Traktor Pro :D

Excalibur
05-04-2010, 10:18 AM
As has Traktor Pro :D

Come on lads, I can only deal with one DJ program at a time, gimme a chance! I'm a DJ of very little brain, you know. :o :o
And anyway, I've noticed that the tried and trusted MM can level on playback also. ;) :D :D :D ( Which still doesn't help when copying to another machine) :( :(

ppentertainments
05-04-2010, 10:34 AM
Off Topic - why are you levelling all the tracks ?? I have never bothered too. :D :D

Excalibur
05-04-2010, 11:32 AM
Off Topic - why are you levelling all the tracks ?? I have never bothered too. :D :D

In a disco situation, due to my ultra sensitive ears, and lightning fast fingers on the faders, it is of virtually zero importance. However, when loaded onto Jeanette's new mp3 player, and lashed into the hi fi in the kitchen, a wide divergence in volume would be a bad thing. :( :(

James
05-04-2010, 11:57 AM
Get yourself a program called soundforge (http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/soundforgesoftware)

It can do what you want to do, plus a whole lot more. really good

BeerFunk
05-04-2010, 01:09 PM
I'm pretty sure Soundforge doesn't do batch editing though?

I've tried MP3 Gain, and although it kind of does what it says it does most of the time, the perceived volume still isn't quite right in some cases. Could be to do with the way certain tracks are produced, I suppose.

I do like the fact that it doesn't involve any further encoding.

sgldisco
05-04-2010, 01:47 PM
Itunes does it. Thats how I do it...:D :D

Anything you drag an drop into itunes gets set by the sound check feature.. Easy Peasy..:D

Alchemy
05-04-2010, 02:34 PM
Have you tried www.supermp3normalizer.com

James
05-04-2010, 03:08 PM
I'm pretty sure Soundforge doesn't do batch editing though?

I've tried MP3 Gain, and although it kind of does what it says it does most of the time, the perceived volume still isn't quite right in some cases. Could be to do with the way certain tracks are produced, I suppose.

I do like the fact that it doesn't involve any further encoding.

Soundforge Batch Processing (http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/news/article.asp?articleid=34&keycode=3502)

you can do pretty much anything to an audio file with soundforge

Same with Steinberg wavelab, they're the two major players i think in the Audio editing field