PDA

View Full Version : Smoker DJ's & Smoking ban

Shaun
27-06-2006, 07:49 PM
The smoking ban is already in full effect here in Scotland. I quit smoking a few years ago and at the time I was a heavy smoker (40 a day). I sometimes wonder how I would have coped if I was still a heavy smoker now that the ban's in place.

Those of you that smoke on the job, have you thought about how this will effect you?. Are you thinking of quitting the ciggies?

KrazyKaz
27-06-2006, 07:56 PM
Although I do smoke, I never light up whilst working.

Solitaire Events Ltd
27-06-2006, 07:56 PM
I hate to tell you this, but I'm sure we had this thread fairly recently....

I smoke and am thinking of quitting next year because of the ban.

Apart from the health issues and expense, it seems pointless having to nip outside for a quick fag!

Shaun
27-06-2006, 08:03 PM
Apologies if this has already been brought up Darren.

KrazyKaz. That's commendable.

How many of you dj's that smoke actually smoke from time to time on the job?

Solitaire Events Ltd
27-06-2006, 08:07 PM
Apologies if this has already been brought up Darren.

KrazyKaz. That's commendable.

How many of you dj's that smoke actually smoke from time to time on the job?

I do - unless of course it's a non smoking venue or party.

I'm also very aware if kids are around too.

I assume that's why Kaz doesn't light up - is it mostly kids parties you do Kaz?

Discodaz
27-06-2006, 08:25 PM
I only smoke if it is allowed in the venue.

And if it isn't, I'll pop out for a 'quickie'. Wahey!

KrazyKaz
27-06-2006, 08:33 PM
I do - unless of course it's a non smoking venue or party.

I'm also very aware if kids are around too.

I assume that's why Kaz doesn't light up - is it mostly kids parties you do Kaz?

Yep, that's right Daz, but also, most of the venues that I do kids parties in (church/village halls) have a non-smoking policy anyway. :sad:

+Scooby+
27-06-2006, 08:42 PM
I spent last week going through all our kit taking covers off cleaning out fans and the like prior to the onslaught of the PAT test. Bearing in mind we are wedding bashers and do mostly hotel stuff what was inside was disgusting. God knows what the kit is like for DJ/KJ’s who do smoking pups.

Have a disco
27-06-2006, 08:46 PM
Afraid Im the same most places council owned have now strangley adopted a non smoking policy on there venues, so a megamix is a life saver during the night sometimes Im down to 5 a day but dread the not being able to hold a pint in one hand fag in t other when relaxing at work lol. Im afraid it helps me concentrate on the job at hand musically. I do feel this is an infringement on my civil liberties I dont force non smokers to frequent a Public premises or venues. What ever was wrong with a smoking only room being introduced. Whole issue has gone totally PC on everything not just smoking

Solitaire Events Ltd
27-06-2006, 08:55 PM
To be honest, I've got used to the idea now anyway of not smoking in venues.

It did bother me to begin with a few years ago, but I'm used to it now and if it's a non smoking party then fair enough.

I think it's only the fact that you can't smoke in certain venues that makes you want to all the more.

I also admit to smoking more if it's a particularly non-eventful type of evening.

+Scooby+
27-06-2006, 09:06 PM
Afraid Im the same most places council owned have now strangley adopted a non smoking policy on there venues, so a megamix is a life saver during the night sometimes Im down to 5 a day but dread the not being able to hold a pint in one hand fag in t other when relaxing at work lol. Im afraid it helps me concentrate on the job at hand musically. I do feel this is an infringement on my civil liberties I dont force non smokers to frequent a Public premises or venues. What ever was wrong with a smoking only room being introduced. Whole issue has gone totally PC on everything not just smoking

The point is when you choose to smoke you are endangering peoples lives through no fault of their own. Smoking is now officially, according to the government, socially unacceptable.

My personal hates are:

Smokers who walk past you in the street and exhale as you walk past
Smokers who indulge the habit in confined spaces
Smokers who smoke in front of children
Smokers who think any part of the planet is an ashtray
We have a busy family and frequent visits and people are allowed to smoke in my back garden and I supply a bucket with sand in for that purpose so I accept the habit.

If smokers think what I have said is out of order consider how you would feel if you were forced to confront something you found offensive every day that endangered your health without getting cross.

This is not a question of being PC, this is a case of health and safety and good business practice.

Have a disco
27-06-2006, 09:26 PM
It was politically acceptable in the 50's & 60's and the governments around the world had no qualms taxing us to death over it and still do now but continually refuse to use it In 1 direction health and safety. how much was used for the health services then

Smokers who walk past you in the street and exhale as you walk past (agreed unnecessary to blow smoke in anyones face but you have a microscopic chance in hell of catching a cold, let alone die of cancer because of smoking in open air and you just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong tim. What next 2000ad judge dredd smokatoriums exteme but could be the next thing) remember even butter could cause you cancer of the lungs?? proven fact many years ago

Smokers who indulge the habit in confined spaces (thats called a smoke room but non smokers still wish to frequent whos stupid now them or us I know the risks and pay exhobitent amounts of tax to cover it)

Smokers who smoke in front of children (actually agree with this and try not to smoke when my kids are about the house)

Smokers who think any part of the planet is an ashtray (always insist on putting butts in an ashtray or bin but am supprised at the amount that just wing them or just stub them on the floor wonder why councils are fining people for it in citys now!!)

Corabar Steve
27-06-2006, 09:58 PM
Dosen't bother me in the slightest if a venue is non smoking, I either don't smoke til the end or pop out for one (if I can see my rig from where I'm soking) For once I actuallu agree whole heartedly with Badger
It was politically acceptable in the 50's & 60's and the governments around the world had no qualms taxing us to death over it and still do now but continually refuse to use it In 1 direction health and safety. how much was used for the health services then

Smokers who walk past you in the street and exhale as you walk past (agreed unnecessary to blow smoke in anyones face You'd have to be a bloody good aim as well :teeth:
Smokers who think any part of the planet is an ashtray (always insist on putting butts in an ashtray or bin but am supprised at the amount that just wing them or just stub them on the floor wonder why councils are fining people for it in citys now!!) It's all bio-degradeable

Anyway I haven't had a cigarette for 2 1/2 weeks, bo have I been grumpy!:teeth:

Have a disco
27-06-2006, 10:00 PM
you have my sympathies

Solitaire Events Ltd
27-06-2006, 10:05 PM
It's all bio-degradeable

Are you sure about that Steve?

I'm sure I read an article that said that the whole of the cigarette wasn't?

I stand corrected though, if I remember wrongly.

Corabar Steve
27-06-2006, 10:16 PM
I read somewhere that the filters are, paper, tobacco & ash certainly are

BeerFunk
27-06-2006, 10:22 PM
I've already given my views on the other thread as mentioned, so I won't get drawn into a debate by some of the silly comments posted here thus far. Scooby - well said :thumbs_up

Possibly the most unprofessional image you can see is a DJ with a fag hanging out his/her mouth, or a pint in their hand.

I am personally extremely grateful to the government for bringing this ban into place, I can go home smelling as nice as I did when I went out, and with no headaches or stinging eyes. I often wonder why they didn't do it earlier :(

ian8limelight
27-06-2006, 10:22 PM
There are now more and more venues (and functions) which are non-smoking. Being one of the 'weed warriors' (cigs) it is sometimes difficult not to be able to have a 'puff'. We'll jut have to see what next year brings.

Corabar Steve
27-06-2006, 10:27 PM
Out of interest, how many of the anti brigade are ex smokers?

BeerFunk
27-06-2006, 10:31 PM
Not an ex smoker, but I can see what it's doing/done to my father, which is why I tend to get a bit personal about it, hence
I've already given my views on the other thread as mentioned, so I won't get drawn into a debate

Shaun
27-06-2006, 10:51 PM
I'm an ex-smoker. I don't care one way or another though.