PDA

View Full Version : Cambridge Audio DacMagic with Virtual DJ?

leelive
19-04-2010, 12:12 PM
Hi
I use Virtual DJ on 2 laptops
1 with an Echo Indigo DJ (24bit/96kHz) soundcard and the other with the Native Instruments Audio Kontrol1 (24bit/192kHz)
While both of these cards have Dual Stereo outputs I only use one laptop for that purpose.
I have just seen the Cambridge Audio DacMagic (24bit/192kHz) and wonder if this is worth considering to replace the Echo Indigo card? Have anyone bought one of these upscalers and do they work with Virtual DJ?
Lee

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-04-2010, 12:26 PM
I'm not sure I understand here.....why would you want to replace the Echo card for?

leelive
19-04-2010, 12:34 PM
The Echo Indigo isn't 192kHz output.
I have read some rave reviews about the DacMagic and wonder if the upscaling will make my PCM Audio Wave files sound even better.
The NI card is far better than the Echo Indigo so I have been thinking of replacing it for sometime.
The DacMagic says it doesn't have drivers so I am unsure if Virtual DJ with recognise it. May be I will have to take my laptop into the shop to test before buying. If anyone has tried to connect one already it will save me the trip.
Many thanks
Lee

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-04-2010, 12:47 PM
The Echo Indigo isn't 192kHz output.

Do you honestly think this will make any difference when you are outputting through a cheap Behringer mixer?

MagicMusic
19-04-2010, 01:33 PM
Do you honestly think this will make any difference when you are outputting through a cheap Behringer mixer?

Every little helps :)

MagicMusic
19-04-2010, 02:11 PM
Here's an interesting article on Upsampling which seems to be the Cambridge units main selling point.

http://www.audioholics.com/education/audio-formats-technology/upsampling-vs-oversampling-for-digital-audio

It makes sense to keep quality of the output as high as possible.

Do you run both laptops at the same time or is one a back up?

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-04-2010, 02:37 PM
Every little helps :)

Yes, but to me it's like using a Pioneer mixer and Maplin speakers.

MagicMusic
19-04-2010, 02:40 PM
Yes, but to me it's like using a Pioneer mixer and Maplin speakers.

Lol. I know what you mean, the aim should be for the quality to be consistent throughout the signal chain. Something I am currently reviewing with my own equipment.

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-04-2010, 02:42 PM
Don't get me wrong - there is more budget gear that is more than capable for what we do - it just seem strange to be worried about the soundcard when the mixer is so cheap.

MagicMusic
19-04-2010, 02:55 PM
I know not much about these types of mixer other than how to use them. :(

I am quite angry at myself actually as I spent 2 years really studying digital audio and it feels like half of it is lost in my brain somewhere never to be found. I really need to get back into the technical stuff again instead of all this arty crap I've been wasting my time with at uni.

Regarding the OP it is difficult to offer advice without understanding the way he works.

If both laptops are running simultaneously it is likely that there is an audible difference between the quality of both cards.

I would be inclined to suggest that since the cambridge unit is designed for home use it may not be suitable for life on the road. I'd probably opt for another NI soundcard that is, at least then there would be parity between systems.

leelive
19-04-2010, 03:27 PM
Thanks. I will look at Pioneer Mixing Desk and another NI Card.
I am using the second laptop as a back-up. Also to play music on during the buffet while the 9hour battery charges a little on the main laptop. I don't like the sound via a ground loop so run off battery to avoid electrical interference.

leelive
19-04-2010, 03:46 PM
Actually, not sure if a Pioneer Mixing Desk is the answer for me as a I use quite a lot of channels.
1 x Sennheiser ew-100 Radio Mic (for singing)
1 x Shure Beta SM58a
2 x balanced for L & R on first Laptop
2 x balanced for L & R on second Laptop

Any suggestions on a Rackmountable mixer? May be I should look at a Mackie so it is the same as my speakers? Ideally one with a graphic EQ and built in Effects. The Behringer Xenyx 1832FX ticked all the right boxes.

Lee

MagicMusic
19-04-2010, 04:29 PM
Thanks. I will look at Pioneer Mixing Desk and another NI Card.
I am using the second laptop as a back-up. Also to play music on during the buffet while the 9hour battery charges a little on the main laptop. I don't like the sound via a ground loop so run off battery to avoid electrical interference.

I hadn't considered that issue, its something I fortunately haven't experienced. You can buy ground loop isolators, maybe that would help? If I were you I'd save money by only using 1 laptop and the Audio Kontrol 1.

You could then invest that money in a different area, perhaps a new mixer as you suggest.

Actually, not sure if a Pioneer Mixing Desk is the answer for me as a I use quite a lot of channels.
1 x Sennheiser ew-100 Radio Mic (for singing)
1 x Shure Beta SM58a
2 x balanced for L & R on first Laptop
2 x balanced for L & R on second Laptop

Any suggestions on a Rackmountable mixer? May be I should look at a Mackie so it is the same as my speakers? Ideally one with a graphic EQ and built in Effects. The Behringer Xenyx 1832FX ticked all the right boxes.

Lee

In general I wouldn't worry about matching the badges on equipment but given the amount of inputs you require a traditional desk is the only answer.

It affords flexibility as well should you be working alonside musicians etc. Mr A1 is the man to speak to I'd imagine.

My personal experience with many different DJ mixers over the years from brands like Soundlab, Gemini, Citronic, Allen & Heath, Pioneer is that there isn't much of a noticeable difference in audio quality. It tends to be build quality, the quality of the fx, crackly faders, reliabilty etc that come into question with cheaper units rather than the actual sound quality.

That said, I've never actually A / B'ed any of them.