PDA

View Full Version : Digital DJ License, new laws

jwpentgroup
29-06-2006, 11:02 PM
Came across this in another thread:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/5053658.stm

Does this mean we no longer need the digital dj licence?

Shaun
29-06-2006, 11:07 PM
UK music fans no longer face the threat of prosecution for copying their own CDs on to PCs or MP3 players, as long as the songs are only for personal use.

Personal use wouldn't apply to working dj's. The quest continues.....

jwpentgroup
29-06-2006, 11:10 PM
Yep but... CDs we buy are also for personal use...

Shaun
29-06-2006, 11:28 PM
Copying the cd's for personal use will be fine. Copying them for "public performance" use is still a grey area.

I'll leave it to the people onthe forum that are better informed on the legalities to chime in :)

Solitaire Events Ltd
29-06-2006, 11:29 PM
Personal use wouldn't apply to working dj's. The quest continues.....

This is what we (LWP) are going to speak to the relevant people about.

CDs are classed as a domestic product, so there shouldn't be any difference when you are using them at a gig, as long as you or the venue (in most cases) has the relevant performance licence.

mikeee
30-06-2006, 12:59 AM
The question is: are you being paid for the pleasure of playing them, or, do you play them to yourself where no one else can hear them (in the car etc). This will be the point of law.

Corabar Entertainment
30-06-2006, 02:20 AM
The question is: are you being paid for the pleasure of playing them, or, do you play them to yourself where no one else can hear them (in the car etc). This will be the point of law.Sorry to disagree Mikeee, but that is not the point of law: there is no point of law here.

Without a change in legislation, it IS illegal to make a copy. What the BPI have said is that they "will not persue" members of the public who make copies for their own use..... they have not said that it is legal for them to do so. (They can't, because it isn't!)

The only point in question, is how they intend to treat DJs. ie, do they intend to enforce the law against DJs when they have said they will not enforce it against members of the public?

Of course, with the whole situation being looked at in parliament, the law will almost certainly change in the future, but that is the situation at the moment, and everyone is trying to 'fudge' their way through it until the law catches up with technology.

Have a disco
30-06-2006, 01:01 PM
So I can play my music I bought for my own usage and copy it to what ever format I like as long as thats all I do. But when I take it around a mates or hold a party at my own house I can get done???. And to top it off If I work with my CDs in a club or disco, I can get done as well there

As ever I feel like Im being treated like a mushroom fed a load of double dutch bullsugar (sneaked that one round sensors LOL) and expected to comply with PPL & MCPS silly rules

What everyone wants is clarity This is what the DJ licence was meant to do, obviously with all going on and the BPI fudging things up with dafter and dafter comments...... Wake up guys the water is opaque look at this with clearer eyes.

I (a) will not pay anything more for music already paid for again unless its for PUBLIC performance not private parties
(b) want the ability to be able to transfer any material to any format I desire. I will pay 1 payment thats my lot for a 5 year period this is more than fair as I AM an UNPAID advertiser/sales person of the record companies.. Of course if they would like to recompence me for the past 22 years then I may reconsider.
(c) that all venue holders should be forced in to complying with the rules or be shut down ie only be able to employ DJ's with the DJ Licences

Just a few gripes but I hope the (LWP) is listening

Corabar Steve
30-06-2006, 02:04 PM
Just a few gripes but I hope the (LWP) is listeningWe all want the same thing & the LWP has our interests at heart, but they have to have reasonable goals. Even if that means getting what we want the same way as Johnny Cash got his car, one piece at a time.

Have a disco
30-06-2006, 03:39 PM
Yeah lets prise their tight little fingers apart in a painful way LOL

music-2-play
01-07-2006, 01:44 AM
Sorry to disagree Mikeee, but that is not the point of law: there is no point of law here.

Without a change in legislation, it IS illegal to make a copy. What the BPI have said is that they "will not persue" members of the public who make copies for their own use..... they have not said that it is legal for them to do so. (They can't, because it isn't!)

The only point in question, is how they intend to treat DJs. ie, do they intend to enforce the law against DJs when they have said they will not enforce it against members of the public?

Of course, with the whole situation being looked at in parliament, the law will almost certainly change in the future, but that is the situation at the moment, and everyone is trying to 'fudge' their way through it until the law catches up with technology.

I had a lecture a few weeks ago from the head of Global Legal Policy for the I.F.P.I (International Federation for the Phonographic Industry). She commented briefly on the B.P.I's statement, saying (though i paraphrase) that it was essentially a 'carrot' for the public, shortly before 'the big stick' of seriously pursuing illegal p2p users. More on thie topic of this thread, another of my lecturers said he felt the b.p.i's statement was a first step in having a statutory private copying exemption (which France already has). If this was to become law, there'd be no legal justification for having a seperate Digital DJ license and persecuting anyone who embraces technology.

Creature
01-07-2006, 09:19 AM
im just glad i dont use MP3's so i dont need this licence ...

shame if it had been properly thought out and they had spoken to the dj's could have been a good thing - as things stand i think its virtually unworkable, as no one seems to know what it covers and what it doesnt