PDA

View Full Version : Guests who know better than you...

Solitaire Events Ltd
02-07-2006, 12:02 PM
I was in a marquee last night with a band called Gentlemen of distorted sound (Gods) and after they played their first set, I had to fill in for around 20 minutes, so was just really playing a bit of background music, when I was approached by a woman who told me that I should be playing 80s soul music, because "that will get everyone up"

Even though I was only playing background music and the music would have been completely wrong for the ages, which I told her. (Apart from the fact the band were playing extremely loud Led Zepp, Doors and Deep Purple covers!)

And the reason she knew better than me?

Because she worked behing the bar and saw these people all the time...

That's OK then... :omg:

soundtracker
02-07-2006, 01:10 PM
I was upstairs in a golf club, with a sun terrace overlooking a reservoir. When people put up these new buildings, don't they ever consider air-conditioning? It was hot enough to boils a monkeys bum! (all complaints re bad language to H.R.H) and with the attractiveness of the settring versus colossal heat , it was a no contest. I was soaked to the skin, even with a fan on me constantly! Night started well with a young lady exposing her breasts to me! (this was at 7.45 for gawds sake!) By 10.00pm- she was asleep with her head on a table! (Terrible stuff this vodka, especially when drunk in triples!- pool of vomit later outside front door!) No danceflloor action till after the buffet(excellent) at 10.30pm, then had a good couple of hours- but it was so bleedin hot- I started to feel sorry for them. Starting to wish it would rain!! Got tapped up by the manager for future events, but it'll have to be in the winter!!
Had one woman who was a total pain in the backside during the buffet, kept on to me about getting the dancing going, yeah with all the lights on and a queue of people for the buffet across the dancefloor? Yeah right!

Corabar Steve
02-07-2006, 02:01 PM
Eh??

soundtracker
02-07-2006, 03:51 PM
Yeah thanks, I got interrupted when I was posting and forgot to finish it off!

Rattz
02-07-2006, 04:17 PM
last night was playing some soft rock when this guy comes up and says to put Johnny B. Goode on as that would get the crowd going.

to begin with i couldn't hear him because the whole room was singing along to Here I Go Again by Whitesnake, and i mean the whole room lol did he think the singing was just background noise or something. lol

Alex - Cream Ents
02-07-2006, 04:21 PM
Whilst playing "Sweet Child Of Mine" for the groom last night (really good response lots of air guitar from every male in the room, and everyone else circled around clapping and cheering) I got asked for Damien - Time Warp...as (Quote) "I don't think this is really dancing music".

Rattz
02-07-2006, 04:24 PM
i'm sorry but that version of the song should be stricken from the books and removed from the face of the earth and should never be talked about ever again!!!

:)

Alex - Cream Ents
02-07-2006, 04:28 PM
I couldn't agree more, it was terrible from the get go and its aged worse than Jackie Stallone. Good old Riff...!

Ricesnaps
02-07-2006, 04:28 PM
I was fairly pleasently supprised when asked for "Massive Attack, Unfinished sympathy" to see the floor packed! Great tune, great band, but never thought it a great tune to dance to

A1DL
02-07-2006, 04:30 PM
I was approached by a woman who told me that I should be playing 80s soul music, because "that will get everyone up"

I trust you stated the obvious to her, Daz.......

"I got soul, but I'm not a soldier!" :teeth:

Alex - Cream Ents
02-07-2006, 04:31 PM
Massive Attack - quality, but yes I'd have never had that down as a dancefloor filler - but as has been mentioned so many times before on here there are no "sure fire" floor fillers at all events, nice to see something a bit different working!

Solitaire Events Ltd
02-07-2006, 05:10 PM
I was fairly pleasently supprised when asked for "Massive Attack, Unfinished sympathy" to see the floor packed! Great tune, great band, but never thought it a great tune to dance to

One of my favourite tunes of all time - brilliant!

Solitaire Events Ltd
02-07-2006, 05:12 PM
I trust you stated the obvious to her, Daz.......

"I got soul, but I'm not a soldier!" :teeth:

Yeah, but do you know which song it's from Tony?

(Shaddup Steve :teeth: )

soundtracker
02-07-2006, 06:25 PM
:zip: :zip: :zip: :zip: :teeth:

Corabar Entertainment
02-07-2006, 06:49 PM
"Please Miss! I know, too!!!!!!!" :teeth:

BeerFunk
02-07-2006, 09:00 PM
Is it a song by a band with a 'violent' name? ;)

Solitaire Events Ltd
02-07-2006, 10:06 PM
Is it a song by a band with a 'violent' name? ;)

Might be...

A1DL
02-07-2006, 11:45 PM
Yeah, but do you know which song it's from Tony?

not without a bit of goooogling Daz, I see it's by The Killers, "All these things that I've done", can't say I know it :embarasse

soundtracker
02-07-2006, 11:51 PM
Cracking song- check it out!

Solitaire Events Ltd
03-07-2006, 12:24 AM
Cracking song- check it out!

Agreed Pete.

Not something I'd generally play at a disco (apart fron the indie wedding I did recently), but a great tune :)

Corabar Steve
03-07-2006, 10:24 AM
Sorry Daz couldn't hear you, some of us were out working last night, well I say working more playing songs to an empty room, the bride & her sister, while the rest danced in the garden.

leighinstoke
03-07-2006, 03:35 PM
People who know what the crowd wants (or rather don't) are usually the ones who also ask "Can I have a look at what you've got". Neither should be allowed into a gig.

Leigh...

Corabar Steve
03-07-2006, 05:41 PM
This week's I know what you need to get them dancing was Usher, when they were already dancing & very much into cheese & out & out party music. Needless to say I didn't play any, especially as urban was on the list of not to plays

ian8limelight
03-07-2006, 05:42 PM
Sorry Daz couldn't hear you, some of us were out working last night, well I say working more playing songs to an empty room, the bride & her sister, while the rest danced in the garden.

Did you play "Hot in here" ?

Corabar Steve
03-07-2006, 05:45 PM
Did you play "Hot in here" ?
Should've, couldn't, shame :teeth: . See above.

Solitaire Events Ltd
03-07-2006, 05:51 PM
People who know what the crowd wants (or rather don't) are usually the ones who also ask "Can I have a look at what you've got". Neither should be allowed into a gig.

Leigh...

I also had that on Saturday, to which I replied erm, no, it's on a computer.

Well can you play something faster?

Ahhhhhhh!!!

Corabar Steve
03-07-2006, 05:57 PM
I also had that on Saturday, to which I replied erm, no, it's on a computer.

Well can you play something faster?

Ahhhhhhh!!!
Depending on my mood that would possibly have prompted:

Motorhead - Ace of spade
Something gentle & serene by Napalm Death, maybe Scum?
or possibly Technohead - I wanna be a hippy :teeth:

Solitaire Events Ltd
03-07-2006, 06:01 PM
Depending on my mood that would possibly have prompted:

Motorhead - Ace of spade
Something gentle & serene by Napalm Death, maybe Scum?
or possibly Technohead - I wanna be a hippy :teeth:

Or anything by Nine inch nails? :teeth:

Corabar Steve
03-07-2006, 06:22 PM
Or anything by Nine inch nails? :teeth:
Nah, most of it's too slow :teeth:

leighinstoke
03-07-2006, 07:23 PM
I must admit, when I've had a persistant requester who won't let up, I've played their request, watched the dancefloor clear then found the person in the crowd or sitting at their table and asked if they'd like to use the dancefloor now. Usually though, they are at the bar or in the loo.

Leigh....