PDA

View Full Version : DAC 3 Controller

Thames Valley Discos
02-07-2006, 08:02 PM
Has anyone ever used the PCDJ DAC 3 controller. Just wanted to know a few things.
1) can a keyboard/mouse still be used (for searching and artiste/tune)

funkymike
02-07-2006, 08:11 PM
yes paul, I use a dac 3, and its ok, build quality is crap, over priced and the centre beat button is very dodgy to use, and the buttons dont really light up, which is not very helpful in the dark, and they claim is designed by dj's for dj's which I think is a load of crap too, however looks nice, does the job, but its still easier to use 'find' with a keyboard, and use the mouse to wizz around the screen.

hope that helps :teeth:

mike

Thames Valley Discos
02-07-2006, 08:20 PM
um yeah.
might as well stick with keyboard and mouse then.

Solitaire Events Ltd
02-07-2006, 08:45 PM
Paul

Try the DAC-2 - it's a bit cheaper, and doesn't have so many buttons you don't need or use.

I've had mine for a couple of years now, with no problems.

It's so much easier to cue songs etc and it means you don't have to rely on leaving the cursor over the start buttons and pressing it again by mistake.

It's one of those things that as soon as you get, you wonder how you survived without it.

Thames Valley Discos
02-07-2006, 09:08 PM
but do you still need to search the database for tunes useing keyboard. i.e typing in name of song to search for?
Looking at the DAC 3 as it looks easier to start loops etc. one key touch?
Do you not find it harder searching your folders and sub folders with the controller rather than the mouse?
I use a desktop PC dedicated to the disco rather than laptop, so i dont really suffer with the cursor problem.(not as yet anyway)

Solitaire Events Ltd
02-07-2006, 10:09 PM
You can use the jog wheels to search for tunes in your cases, but still need to type in the name if looking for something specific.

I don't use the DAC for looping etc when I'm out working, although I have had a mess around with it at home.

Be honest, would you be using loops, samples and FX when you are doing a wedding reception?

I just really like mine for the cueing and ease of start to be honest. It's also a lot easier to mix with.

Thames Valley Discos
03-07-2006, 06:59 AM
not samples and fx, but i do use loops on some songs. Think i need to have a play with one before i buy, but thanks for the advice. The other thing i notice with the DAC 3 is it uses power from the usb. small point but one less cable.
Are there any other controllers worth looking at that work with PCDJ?
Thanks

Solitaire Events Ltd
03-07-2006, 08:11 AM
not samples and fx, but i do use loops on some songs. Think i need to have a play with one before i buy, but thanks for the advice. The other thing i notice with the DAC 3 is it uses power from the usb. small point but one less cable.
Are there any other controllers worth looking at that work with PCDJ?
Thanks

I think you'll find it comes with a 12V power supply.

I'm not sure about other controllers tbh.

Thames Valley Discos
03-07-2006, 04:54 PM
oh, not according to their description, i,ll check that out

Solitaire Events Ltd
03-07-2006, 05:56 PM
oh, not according to their description, i,ll check that out

Read the specs here http://www.emissionuk.com/prod_dac3.asp

Scroll down and it says 12V power supply. :)

Thames Valley Discos
03-07-2006, 06:25 PM
you are correct. i definately read somewhere yesterday powered from usb.however pcdj site agrees with you. ah well, will take your advice and look at dac 2 instead.
cheers

PCDJ (UK) LTD
18-07-2006, 12:47 PM
Hello all,

New to the forum so hello to all members from the PCDJ team.

Thames Valley - maybe i can be of some help.

Firstly - all information on the DAC 3 can be found at www.pcdj.co.uk - the official international dealer of visiosonic

Solitaire Entertainments shows a link to Emissions’ website for the DAC3 !!!

Emission have nothing to do with PCDJ anymore :)

The description they have is wrong – ;

Here's some points to consider......

DAC 2 USB connection plus 12V power supply

DAC 3 USB connection only, no extra power supply needed

DAC 2 Must be plugged into the same USB port every time or you must re-install the driver

DAC 3 Any available USB port is fine

DAC 2 Needs a driver disk loaded

DAC 3 No drivers – as long as you’re using the latest build of PCDJ (7.3.1001)

DAC 3 Fully MIDI compatible

The lights on the DAC 3 are bright enough, they don’t dazzle, they are just right.

Center beat button dodgy? What center beat button? You must mean something else. Beat match button maybe? Let me know and ill gladley look into it for you.

One other thing, the DAC 3 has free spinning ‘jog’ wheels. The DAC 2 has stepped wheels with an outer jog/shuttle ring. The DAC 3 is designed with future PCDJ software in mind. You’ll be able to do things (like scratching) with the DAC 3 that you can’t do with the DAC 2.

Having said that, the DAC 2 is fine if you’re not doing a lot of remixing or loop work.

Adding a controller to your set up is like a whole new world - try it and let me know

PCDJ (UK) Ltd

****dac 2 only £199.99 for limited time only***
***dac 3 £329.99***

Solitaire Events Ltd
18-07-2006, 01:05 PM
Hello all,

Solitaire Entertainments shows a link to Emissions’ website for the DAC3 !!!

Emission have nothing to do with PCDJ anymore :)

The description they have is wrong – ;

Sorry, I was unaware at the time that Emission were nothing to do with PCDJ anymore, as this wasn't overly well publicised and very confusing for those of us who bought the software from Emission too.

Apologies to Paul (Thames Valley) for giving the wrong info, but I was only going on what I have seen.

Lastly, I am a user of PCDJFX and KJ, but we do have a policy of not advertising products as soon as you come on the forum!!

I'd like to welcome you PCDJ and would hope that you will come on ocassionally to answer some of the more technical aspects of your products. :)

Thames Valley Discos
18-07-2006, 05:13 PM
Did i miss the mention of discount?

Also is the DAC 3 a 3u fitting?

Solitaire Events Ltd
18-07-2006, 05:46 PM
Did i miss the mention of discount?

Also is the DAC 3 a 3u fitting?

Yes, that I do know! :)

PCDJ (UK) LTD
19-07-2006, 10:26 AM
hi all,

yes hopefully we can come on the forums more often and answer all things PCDJ !

Apologies to Big Brother for our blatant rule breaking on our first post - no offence intented

Solitiare is correct -the DAC 3 is 3u so bear this in mind if you were looking to mount in a rack/flight case etc..

Thames Valley - any more questions give us a call 01482 319702 and i will do my best to help out a fellow forum member! :)

cheers all

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-07-2006, 10:41 AM
Apologies to Big Brother for our blatant rule breaking on our first post - no offence intented

Course, if you were to give a discount to forum members on products, I'm sure we wouldn't mind you advertising in the traders section :teeth:

PCDJ (UK) LTD
20-07-2006, 08:23 AM
a great idea solitaire!

we will get our thinking hats on today and come up with something im sure :)

PCDJ (UK) Ltd

Thames Valley Discos
21-07-2006, 06:58 AM
a great idea solitaire!

we will get our thinking hats on today and come up with something im sure :)

PCDJ (UK) Ltd
Did i hear 20% :teeth: :teeth:

Thames Valley Discos
21-07-2006, 07:02 AM
Firstly - all information on the DAC 3 can be found at www.pcdj.co.uk - the official international dealer of visiosonic

Then why does your site state"Lockable Pitch for both players, makes sure you are never out of Sync
12 volt power supply
Works with RED VRM/BLUE VRM/ FX "

Candybeatdiscos
21-07-2006, 07:04 AM
have you tried the hercoles controller?

Thames Valley Discos
21-07-2006, 07:13 AM
The what? oh this (http://www.etcetera.co.uk/products/HERDJVideo.shtml) looks like bedroom kit.

PCDJ (UK) LTD
21-07-2006, 09:04 AM
its a good point and it will be changed - well spotted!

The DAC 3 is definetly USB connection only - no power supply.

Im still in discussion about that discount but Thames Valley give me a call on 01482 319700 and we can discuss further

Many thanks

Jon
pcdj (uk) ltd :)

Paul James Promotions
21-07-2006, 10:18 AM
Did i hear 20% :teeth: :teeth:

I reckon 30 :teeth: :teeth:

Corabar Entertainment
21-07-2006, 10:43 AM
Now now boys..... you know that greed is one of the 7 deadly sins! :omg:

Larry B Entertainment
21-07-2006, 11:22 AM

Stay clear of those. I test drove one and the left hand jog wheel packed up, the drivers can be a pain to install which means the computer doesnt always know the controller is plugged in and the controls are far to fiddly. Wound'nt fancy using one live.

Have a disco
21-07-2006, 04:12 PM
40% discount for MDA members only, sounds fair a discount to me. 25% for non members but forum members of Mobile disco directory covers both ends of site.

I use to sell double glazing for Bowater Zenith and be a sales rep for someone else. So I know how much to sell stuff for, call me an agressive buyer

Paul James Promotions
21-07-2006, 04:17 PM
40% discount for MDA members only, sounds fair a discount to me. 25% for non members but forum members of Mobile disco directory covers both ends of site.

And half price for mods and admin :D:D:D

Solitaire Events Ltd
21-07-2006, 04:20 PM
And free for owners!!!

Corabar Entertainment
21-07-2006, 04:59 PM
I use to sell double glazing for Bowater Zenith ..The most hated, persistent, aggressive and complained about cold-calling company during the '90's!

Have a disco
21-07-2006, 06:22 PM
I know I left them after a year don't agree with their sales techniques but I also found out how much overpriced goods are on average most businesses overcharge by 80% and are willing to drop by 40% and still make an enourmous profit most items in the shops are marked up by 250%

look at heinz baked beans for instance 1 tin can cost 1p manufacturing and putting recipie in can cost 2p the rest is boosted to 10p thats 7p to the manufacturers in profit, who's in the right game, wholesalers sell them at 15p a can thats still for the retailers 8p profit.....so a can that costs 3p goes all the way to 22p rrp what a rip off

Corabar Entertainment
21-07-2006, 06:33 PM
... most items in the shops are marked up by 250% Sorry, but in my experience that simply is not the case. If it were, do you think that so many businesses would go under? I can only assume that you have come across some pretty unscrupulous shop owners!

Have a disco
21-07-2006, 06:39 PM
I use to sell to thrift shops end of line products and the mark up is enourmous with most of them they would buy a 28p item and sell it for £1 as std and that was an air freshener 4p for the can with lid and sprayer from russia, and 6p for the gas and liquid from Italy, 1p from for the cardboard box or shrink wrapping thats 11p for the manufacturer in total costs, 17p profit. please think about it when you next buy an air freshener or even a deodorant like sure or lynx

Most businesses are going under due to high shop rents and council taxes and this year due to high fuel costs... Everything has a knock on effect

Corabar Entertainment
21-07-2006, 07:08 PM
That is exactly the same logic that people use say that DJs make £50 an hour by saying that all you need to do is buy a couple of CDs each week.

28p to buy an item of stock.... but what about pemises costs? staff costs? phones? stationery? insurance? electricity? etc..... hardly a huge margin per item once that lot is taken into account.

Anyway - we're WAY off topic here

Have a disco
21-07-2006, 07:33 PM
Yes very true and I kmow all the ins and outs on this subject trust me I know it from top too bottom and yes Back on trak sorry. What I was trying to say is that regardless of new technology the price for a DAC 3 is ridiculous, considering its more than likely manufactured in china like everything else is these days. I know everyone has to make a profit as such but even then PCDJ can not justify the price diferencial with the USA site as you once said before 329 in usa dollars ends up being 329 pounds regardless of exchange rates or transpotation costs????

funkymike
25-07-2006, 09:34 PM
Right Mr PCDJ man, reference the beat button, I mean the mix now button, When you press it, yes it mixes the tracks in, but cuts the music of the channel its been mixed from and if you dont use the internal mixer ( using a separate mixer) it does not come back on, so you lose one channel, until you reset the the program, so if you hit it accidently during a gig, your stuffed!

So wheres the "built by dj" theory there then?

Just asking

cheers

mike

Thames Valley Discos
25-07-2006, 09:41 PM
Right Mr PCDJ man, reference the beat button, I mean the mix now button, When you press it, yes it mixes the tracks in, but cuts the music of the channel its been mixed from and if you dont use the internal mixer ( using a separate mixer) it does not come back on, so you lose one channel, until you reset the the program, so if you hit it accidently during a gig, your stuffed!

So wheres the "built by dj" theory there then?

Just asking

cheers

mike
But the mix now button uses internal mixer, regardless of wether you have it displayed or not. doesnt it?

funkymike
25-07-2006, 09:46 PM
But the mix now button uses internal mixer, regardless of wether you have it displayed or not. doesnt it?

yes it does,if you use the internal mixer, which according to pcdj if your a pro you dont, hence why we have to use a proper duel sound card costing 100 ish pound. so as i say, if you hit the button in a dark room, bingo you lose one channel, and if pcdj is plsying you cant display the internal mixer.

mike

pcdj user for 3 yrs

Thames Valley Discos
25-07-2006, 09:53 PM
yes it does,if you use the internal mixer, which according to pcdj if your a pro you dont, hence why we have to use a proper duel sound card costing 100 ish pound. so as i say, if you hit the button in a dark room, bingo you lose one channel, and if pcdj is plsying you cant display the internal mixer.

mike

pcdj user for 3 yrs
But, like i say, wether internal mixer is displayed or not, the mix now button still uses internal mixer. It still fades one of the players out on pcdj. Have you got the fade in/out set correct in CFG page?The £100 for a sound card is more for the quality of sound.

funkymike
25-07-2006, 10:08 PM
But, like i say, wether internal mixer is displayed or not, the mix now button still uses internal mixer. It still fades one of the players out on pcdj. Have you got the fade in/out set correct in CFG page?The £100 for a sound card is more for the quality of sound.

nope, fraid not

unless

what is fade in/out?

Thames Valley Discos
25-07-2006, 10:13 PM
there is your answer