PDA

View Full Version : Fax to PC

Solitaire Events Ltd
15-05-2010, 12:15 PM
I currently have a dedicated fax number and line which probably only gets used half a dozen times a month and this costs me about £11, which is not a lot but it seems a waste of money really.

Anyone tried a fax to PC type solution?

Vectis
15-05-2010, 12:20 PM
I've tried a few of the freebie ones but met a bit of customer resistance to the fact they use 08xx numbers. They worked OK, emailing TIF versions of received faxes. You have to use it so many times per month for it to remain free (as they get a slice of the call charges).

Why not get a Vonage VOIP box, pay £6 a month including a large local call bundle and plug your fax machine into it? It runs over your broadband router. Then you won't lose the outgoing capability either, and you can use it as a spare normal phone line if you like.

Corabar Entertainment
15-05-2010, 12:31 PM
Never used one on my own business or home, but I have worked at a couple of companies who tried the 'fax direct from your PC' set up, and IT could never get the damn things set up properly so that has kind of put me off them.

CRAZY K
16-05-2010, 10:44 AM
Never used one on my own business or home, but I have worked at a couple of companies who tried the 'fax direct from your PC' set up, and IT could never get the damn things set up properly so that has kind of put me off them.

FAX :confused:

Stopped using one about 10 years ago

Does anyone use one anymore--everyone I deal with use email/scanning.

Dynamic Entertainment
16-05-2010, 10:53 AM
Yep, ive got fax to email. Its easy to set up and easy to use imo. I get an email with the .pdf and it doesnt cost me a penny.

Solitaire Events Ltd
16-05-2010, 02:46 PM
FAX :confused:

Stopped using one about 10 years ago

Does anyone use one anymore--everyone I deal with use email/scanning.

You don't deal with corporates or venues obviously.

Solitaire Events Ltd
16-05-2010, 02:47 PM
Yep, ive got fax to email. Its easy to set up and easy to use imo. I get an email with the .pdf and it doesnt cost me a penny.

Linky then please?

CRAZY K
16-05-2010, 05:55 PM

Yes we deal with Corporates all the the time--

They all do email and scanning--I got into that method because a Corporate wanted that and since then we have used that as the only method of dealing.

We dont do cards though;)

No we dont deal with Hotels--so cant comment.

I suppose Corporates are business to business whereas Hotels deal with Joe Public a fair bit.

Dynamic Entertainment
16-05-2010, 06:11 PM
Linky then please?

http://www.freefaxtoemail.net/Default.aspx

:)

Steve the DJ
16-05-2010, 06:38 PM

Plenty of us deal with corporates and venues, it's just ours aren't stuck in 1987.

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-05-2010, 12:01 AM
Plenty of us deal with corporates and venues, it's just ours aren't stuck in 1987.

If you did deal with any amount of Hotels or venues Steve, then you'd know a lot of them still use fax machines.

I think some people are in a dream business world sometimes, not a real one.

Dynamic Entertainment
17-05-2010, 12:04 AM
I must admit, alot of my venues like to fax things, although some are moving over to scan and email, but not all.

Steve the DJ
17-05-2010, 12:29 PM
If you did deal with any amount of Hotels or venues Steve, then you'd know a lot of them still use fax machines.

I did try and reply to your condescending post this morning but I was too angry to get anything past the "swearing filter"... :evelgrin:

I deal with a number of venues and companies that I do work for on a regular basis, none of them require anything to be faxed and all of them prefer to receive paperwork via email.

I accept that your venues prefer to use a fax, for whatever reasons, but don't automatically assume that is the case for every company or venue, because you are wrong.

And for the record, just because people have different experiences to you it doesn't mean they live in some sort of "fantasy". ;)

Now, as I find it very hard to be moody for long, I will be helpful!

Have a look at Faxtastic.co.uk (http://www.faxtastic.co.uk/). There are many free services but they all insist on using specific numbers that charge the sender.

With Faxtastic you can choose a geographic number (https://www.faxtastic.co.uk/signup/) to match your landline for 30 quid a year and then just buy credits to send and receive.

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-05-2010, 01:26 PM
I did try and reply to your condescending post this morning but I was too angry to get anything past the "swearing filter"... :evelgrin:

Yes, and if you hadn't put a dig about me being in 1987 then you wouldn't have got the reply you did. :mad:

And I didn't say 'all' venues use fax either. I said a lot of them use faxes still.

Steve the DJ
17-05-2010, 02:24 PM
Yes, and if you hadn't put a dig about me being in 1987 then you wouldn't have got the reply you did. :mad:

I didn't, I said the venues were:

;)

By the way, don't confuse Faxtastic.co.uk with a free programme called Faxtastic (that you download to your PC) as that is, in a word, poo.

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-05-2010, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the link - looks good.

CRAZY K
17-05-2010, 04:27 PM

Although we deal with Corporates who dont do fax anymore I entirely agree that Hotels DO from my limited experience--and obviously you would know because of the nature of your business.

WHY is another completely different question ;)

Perhaps Hotel admin is stuck in the 80s:confused:

To put the record straight I know from personal experience that faxes came into general usage from around 1985 when I worked for a very large Insurance Company and died out in that Company towards the end of the 90s.

I ditched mine around 2003 :D

Corabar Entertainment
09-09-2010, 05:10 PM
After receiving more bloody spam by fax, I,too, have decided to phase out the physical fax machine too (save the waste of paper and ink :lol:) It's something I've been meaning to do for ages and ages, but today's spam and the ink running out during receipt of it that has prompted me in to action.

So very rarely send a fax these days, but still receive the occasional one, so definitely want to keep some form of fax availability.

So, Darren - did you ever decide on a provider for this? What made you choose that particular provider? and Have you been happy with the service?

Anyone else?

(I've been spending the last hour or two looking at providers and I'm going goggle-eyed.... really can't see much between them in all honesty.)

PS: Just read back over this thread. Faxtastic are on my short-list already, so it's good to see someone has already recommended them :thumbsup:

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-09-2010, 07:41 PM
No, still haven't decided what to do - I really must get onto it as I need to sort all my communications, phone lines and broadband out.