PDA

View Full Version : Blown Mackies

Ricesnaps
04-07-2006, 10:59 AM
Just interested (as I will probably make some money out of the extra gear hire!). Working with a band on Friday, who have just called to say that there gear was damaged on Saturday due to a poor power source in a marquee. Not a problem as I have my sources and can get them a full rig, but I am bemused. They tell me they used a set of active mackies, which are now unusuable along with there desk, and lighting (which was something like the the isolution colourmixers I think).

Surely when you pay for Mackie gear they have a little more protection than these seem to have?

As I said, only curious as it's not my money, gear or problem!

Solitaire Events Ltd
04-07-2006, 11:23 AM
There must have been a serious problem for all that to happen and I'm guessing that whatever kit was i there, the same thing would have happened.

Personally, I use surge protection and RCDs for safety.

abyssdjhire
04-07-2006, 12:31 PM
you pay for mackie gear, you learn to set it up properly. odds are that they DIDNT learn how to set it up properly and had the amps on full.

Solitaire Events Ltd
04-07-2006, 12:42 PM
But then why would it have blown up a desk and lights too then?

Corabar Steve
04-07-2006, 12:44 PM
:confused: It went back down the cable & up the others :confused:
:teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

Ricesnaps
04-07-2006, 12:52 PM
well, whatever happened, looks like the hire is going to set them back - dry hire of full PA, mics and lighting is up to about £800 delivered!

CRAZY K
04-07-2006, 01:26 PM
Wise words Daz--I now use Surge Protection and RCD even on ordinary gigs in Hotels etc

Getting ready for my gig coming up in a marquee with a generator :sad:

Unless you have surge protection I cant see how setting up makes a blind bit of difference or would protect your kit.

CRAZY K

abyssdjhire
04-07-2006, 02:21 PM
get them to buy new gear from us then.

daz - it would still have been a risk, but if the amps were set properly the drivers wouldnt have taken as much of a punch.... but still, if its blown the amps out not the speakers, then its a bit different

Paul James Promotions
04-07-2006, 02:23 PM
Could have been a number of things, perhaps a generator putting out the wrong voltage.

abyssdjhire
04-07-2006, 02:28 PM
its possible. either way they should have had more protection running between them, so its their own fault really

Alex - Cream Ents
04-07-2006, 03:33 PM
Sounds like a problem most probably stemming from the power source to take everything out. As previously mentioned I would imagine it wouldn't have mattered what was plugged in! Marquee power feeds are never good in my experience, be it genny or mains supplied.

Always a good idea to use surge protect / RCD really - but that said I don't always...

CRAZY K
04-07-2006, 03:51 PM
I dont think we need to call Albert Einstein to work this one out--

Generator in Marquee--all equipment blown to pieces :teeth:

Im just wondering what the heck the cost of replacing that lot will be---apart from enormous :sad:

CRAZY K

abyssdjhire
04-07-2006, 05:26 PM
thats what their insurance is for..

Solitaire Events Ltd
04-07-2006, 05:28 PM
thats what their insurance is for..
If they have any!

abyssdjhire
04-07-2006, 05:35 PM
indeed. hopefully they do, then its not as much of a problem

CRAZY K
04-07-2006, 05:50 PM
Insurance claim eh?

Im checking this tomorrow as im working with a generator shortly.

Im not sure its covered unless you have surge protection BECAUSE you are not complying with the reasonable care condition--

I will let you know when I have spoken to Musicguard,

CRAZY K

Ricesnaps
04-07-2006, 07:58 PM
Well, as I understand it from the band, they are indeed covered by insurance and the insurance company will be paying for the kit hire for Friday night!

Just found there web site - have a look!

http://www.funkification.co.uk/

CRAZY K
04-07-2006, 10:14 PM
Crikey Matt, they are going to need a shed load of kit---I sincerely hope they are insured and covered :teeth:

And how will you get all your kit in the same room as them :teeth:

Or are you playing in a big hall?

CRAZY K

Have a disco
04-07-2006, 10:18 PM
what they given you a corner to hide in LOL

Corabar Entertainment
04-07-2006, 10:19 PM
12 piece band!!!!!!!!!!! Flippin' 'eck! :omg:

Corabar Steve
04-07-2006, 10:21 PM
Why are all the men dressed as Kraftwerk?

Ricesnaps
05-07-2006, 04:46 AM
I believe it's a big hall - RAF base, we're doing the Officers summer ball!

Get the impression it won't be the 12 piece playing, but only talked to the trumbone player, so what would he know! lol!

Anyway, they do sound quite good!