PDA

View Full Version : Steinberg: Cubase

steven alan
19-05-2010, 11:19 PM
anyone on here use
Steinberg: Cubase
got myself a copy of it including dongle ,but just cannot get to grips with it:bang:
any help welcomed

steven

funkymook
19-05-2010, 11:38 PM
I used it years ago - must admit never got past the most basic sequencing, there's loads of tutorials on YouTube though.

What are you trying to do with it? Maybe a different programme would suit you better? I find Garageband very intuitive to use and you can get good results very quickly (again lots on YouTube).

MagicMusic
19-05-2010, 11:50 PM
Youtube is your friend :)

I'm a Pro Tools / Reason / Logic man myself but most of the general principles are the same so gimme a shout if you have any general queries.

Shakermaker Promotions
19-05-2010, 11:52 PM
If you are making your own stuff then most of the programs work around the same principles as said above. I use both Orion Pro and Adobe Audition (mainly the former). I tried Cubase years ago and could'nt get to grips with it.

Adam_F
19-05-2010, 11:53 PM
anyone on here use
Steinberg: Cubase

Yes, Cubase 5

any help welcomed

There's no easy way of learning, it's a very in-depth and complex program. I'd advise buying a few books on the chosen areas of how you want to use Cubase to be honest. People go to Uni for years to study it, and wouldn't know it inside out.

This book (http://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR322037) is quite good to get you started.

SC Events
20-05-2010, 12:50 AM
I did A-Level Music Technology and I used Sibelius, Cubase & Reason.

However, with Cubase we only used it to record on the multi-tracking from the recording studio rather than creating loops and samples, sequences etc.

My Grandad has recently finished a 'Technology of Music' course with the Open University and he used Cubase pretty all of the way through it.

steven alan
21-05-2010, 10:27 PM
thanks for the replys lads. I know why he let me have it now, want to remix singles, overlay dif vocals on inst tracks make own tracks etc .Looks like I,ll go for something a (well a lot ) less demanding. any sugestions?
tha nks
steven
ps cannot do it yet but once post reach a limit will be getting rid of it along with the dongle,but not yet as dont want to breach any site rules.

MagicMusic
22-05-2010, 09:57 AM
thanks for the replys lads. I know why he let me have it now, want to remix singles, overlay dif vocals on inst tracks make own tracks etc .Looks like I,ll go for something a (well a lot ) less demanding. any sugestions?
tha nks
steven
ps cannot do it yet but once post reach a limit will be getting rid of it along with the dongle,but not yet as dont want to breach any site rules.

My advice would be stick with it it. The pro software - and even the "easier" to use non pro alternatives all work in the same way.

There is no quick fix but for what you are suggesting Ableton Live may be a good option as its 'Warp' feature simplifies an awkward process regarding tempo adjustment when time stretching vocals to fit with a track.

James
22-05-2010, 10:45 AM
I'd say stick with it as well, but, if you're really struggling with it, then try Sony Acid Pro instead.

The interface is a lot more user friendly imho.

Grind it out though if you can, you're not going to become George Martin overnight.

steven alan
25-05-2010, 10:12 PM
many thanks to all for the advice

Squelch
27-05-2010, 01:01 AM
If you really get into this sort of thing get yourself a Apple mac and get Logic 9...its amazing ;)

http://www.apple.com/logicstudio/