PDA

View Full Version : Dancing...or not

Shaun
05-07-2006, 12:41 PM
All too often dj's make the mistake of thinking that the dance-floor has to be busy all night for the event to be succesful.

Not all crowds are dancng crowds though!. A lot can be established from reading the body language of the guests. Feet tapping, faces smiling, heads-a-bopping and happy chattering between guests can all be indications that they are enjoying themselves.

The old saying "the only time families get together are at weddings and funerals" is true in many cases. A lot of the time guests may not have seen each other for years and just want to "catch up on old times". So don't be dismayed if you're dance-floor is not packed.

Seasoned veterans will know this anyway, but I thought I'd mention it as a point of reference to people that are just starting up. :beer:

Corabar Entertainment
05-07-2006, 12:47 PM
Yes - can be the hardest thing to get across to new DJs we have had over the years.

There have been a number of times that people have come up to the DJ and apologised that not many people were dancing, but everyone enjoyed themselves, the music was fantastic, etc etc, but that people hadn't seen each other for a long time, etc, etc.

Like you said, you have to keep an eye on the audience to see if they are enjoying themselves even if they are not dancing. Mind you, even at those events where this happens, it is rare that it lasts the entire night: once people have caught up a bit, and had a few drinks, they usually get going on the dancefloor - even if it is only for the latter part of the evening! :teeth:

Paul James Promotions
05-07-2006, 12:47 PM
Agreed.

There have been times when it appeared to be an un-enjoyable night, but guests have come up and thanked me for a great night.

Then i've had nights where nobody has said a word, but the floor has been full or night.

dj andy allwood
05-07-2006, 12:53 PM
as soon as the drinks get into there system normally after 9 then they normslly get up lol

Solitaire Events Ltd
05-07-2006, 12:54 PM
I agree with most of the above statements.

AS long as you've done your job in the most professional way possible, then you shouldn't worry.

Have a disco
05-07-2006, 12:57 PM
As a Club DJ and disco DJ I can see both sides of this problem

In a club you are rated on the amount of people in the place dancing and drinking, you can be hired or fired, for not completing the owners requirements at a blink of an eyelid. Even if you have played a blinder you could still have not done enough. Its a dog eat dog world in a club enviroment, your easily replaced if you do not do as paid

In a private party you are there to entertain maybe a handfull of people to 200+ people at a range of events you would never meet normally in a club, each has to be read differently, and Many a time I have played my heart out only to get a handle of dancers up, but still been told by the hirer that they had a great time and even been apologised too for the lack of dancing in the end you are just providing a service to the customers needs

dj andy allwood
05-07-2006, 01:03 PM
i just play a different song from different genres til i get it right plus i have a lot of mastermix cd's where old songs are mashed up with new songs and most of them make people smile which is a good thing and its funny when there waiting for the words of the tune then all of a sudden different vocals come on ha ha tricked them lol

Have a disco
05-07-2006, 01:33 PM
I take each night wether club or disco as a personal challenge to get at least 50 - 75% dancing in the night as an overall total but you can soon figure out a crowd within 10 - 15 tunes, but even that can go pear shaped sometimes. Sometimes its just a reason to catch up on the gossip with the relations, and have some music in the back ground, till the last hour. once they are lubricated up with plonk ready to dance then its non stop til night end

dj andy allwood
05-07-2006, 01:40 PM
yeah then they normally say one more song one more song cos by then there up for a party lol

Corabar Steve
05-07-2006, 02:04 PM
and Many a time I have played my heart out only to get a handle of dancers up, Is that like a pride of lions or a gaggle of geese?

dj andy allwood
05-07-2006, 02:08 PM
Is that like a pride of lions or a gaggle of geese?

yeah lets start some new termonology lol

i love the way these threads start on one particular subject and then by the end is something totally different lol :teeth:

Have a disco
05-07-2006, 06:08 PM
oooops hand ful to quick for me own good but boy it does sound good now I think of it LOL

Have a disco
05-07-2006, 06:09 PM
I know moderators are normally this slack LOL

Alex - Cream Ents
05-07-2006, 06:29 PM
I know that at some events you won't have a busy dance floor all night. I consider every gig a challenge if you like, from the point of view that I want to see people dancing and staying on the dance floor. However there are, of course, occasions where you don't get people dancing until late on etc etc (Points previously covered) but have still had people come up and say thank you the music was fantastic etc.

I don't take things as "personally" as I used to, I'm confident that I always look professional, play to the crowd and give my all, therefore I can always end the night with a positive attitude.

leighinstoke
05-07-2006, 09:16 PM
I rarely take it personally when the crowd don't want to dance - not all crowds are dancers (I had my milkmen who sat all night and were so friendly and allowed me to play whatever I wanted as they just appreciated me being there) and sometimes you'll not see the polish on the floor all night for bodies.

As others have said, as long as you do the most professional job you can do, you're not to blame for what the crowd do - sadly some organisers/clients don't realise this.

Leigh....

ian8limelight
05-07-2006, 09:24 PM
I rarely take it personally when the crowd don't want to dance - not all crowds are dancers (I had my milkmen who sat all night and were so friendly and allowed me to play whatever I wanted as they just appreciated me being there) and sometimes you'll not see the polish on the floor all night for bodies.

As others have said, as long as you do the most professional job you can do, you're not to blame for what the crowd do - sadly some organisers/clients don't realise this.

Leigh....

I quite agree. I did a function a few years ago where no-one danced whatever I played (although the odd foot was tapping !) At the end of the evening, I got a £50 tip as they really enjoyed the music.

Corabar Steve
06-07-2006, 12:00 AM
I had one tonight, the chap whose party it was, was absolutely ecstatic about the whole night & the only thing that got them up was the Macarena!

Mind there was a lot of stuff like Smoke on the water, Voodoo Chile, Fat bottom girls & similar. Not really the stuff of your average 18th, but as I say the client was happy

Candybeatdiscos
06-07-2006, 10:08 AM
i don't aim to keep folk on the dancefloor all the time...its par for the course that folk wont always get up - i am too long in the tooth for that carry on now lol, i put in 100% enthusiasm, fun, and when required interactivity. The knowledge of music is usually enough, i will always through out random questions just for fun and that gets people going.

screamersTess
06-07-2006, 10:47 AM
I agree that a full dance floor all night is not necessary to have a good evening.

When you have loads of different age groups sometimes you will have 'pockets' of people up at different times. Also the foot tapping and 'wiggling' in chairs is a good indicator that people are enjoying themselves.

ian8limelight
06-07-2006, 07:12 PM
I had one tonight, the chap whose party it was, was absolutely ecstatic about the whole night & the only thing that got them up was the Macarena!

Mind there was a lot of stuff like Smoke on the water, Voodoo Chile, Fat bottom girls & similar. Not really the stuff of your average 18th, but as I say the client was happy

I heard, cheers matey.

Corabar Steve
07-07-2006, 12:57 PM
Any time :teeth: