PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Advice for a wedding!

ronedjs
24-05-2010, 09:15 PM
Hello, Im doing my first wedding on saturday (nothing too fancy and for people i work with)

Ive had a meeting with them and got all the songs and what they want to happen. But im starting to freak out on the timeings.

When do you do the first dance, farther daughter dance and farther mother dance.

Was going to start with backgroung music while people arrived. Then move onto the moder stuff. Open the buffet, Speackers and all that then. And then move onto the first dance followed by all the rest. IS THIS RIGHT? (probaby is just me freaking out like usual).

HELP is greatly appreciated.

THANKS
ELLIOTT :o

Penfold42
24-05-2010, 09:20 PM
Go with the flow.
Background music for around the 1st hour or so.
Then ask when they would like the 1st dance etc, etc......

Then let it rip..........:p :D

thex-faders
24-05-2010, 09:22 PM
Everyone does it differnetly, just ask the bride and groom when they feel confortable as they will orobably want to mingle etc during buffet and then maybe kick off after buffet when people have finished.

soundmaster mobile disco
24-05-2010, 09:28 PM
Hi eliot stop worrying,im sure everything will be fine.Weddings that i have experienced mostly never run on time.if they tell you they want the first dance at 7.30,what happens if you cannot get access to trhe function hall to set up untill they have finished the meal\speeches ect.

Once you have set up it may be closer to 8pm,ask the bride and groom if everyone is here,and if not suggest waiting another 10 to 15 mins.make an announcement over the mic to say the first dance will be in approx 10 to 15 mins.

Again check with b&g before starting first dance.get the names of the best man\bridesmaid ect also the parents,this is so you can introduce them to the dancefloor.After the 2nd or 3rd waltz again say on the mic about the father and bride are now about to dance.

As long as you communicate with the bride and groom and the venue funnction manager regarding times.start\buffet\when finishing ect you cannot go wrong.

Enjoy yourself and stop worrying

ronedjs
24-05-2010, 09:33 PM
Thanks for your help everyone, should be ok. Ill keep you all posted!

robbiedj
25-05-2010, 07:04 PM
Even if you are given times for dances, don't take it as gospel. Most weddings run later than planned on paper. The one we did Saturday was only about 45 mins late, which is pretty good compared to some. :D

Just play it by ear and ask the B&G or Bestman when they feel it is right. Too early and some evening guests may miss it. Too late, and some may start leaving (small children or elderly to get home)

Charlie Brown
25-05-2010, 07:06 PM
Relax.

Treat it like any other disco - except it's not.

Liaise with the couple on the night.
Be flexible.
Be kind/polite to venue staff.
Work with them.

And you'll be fine. Let us know how you get on with videos and pictures! :beer1:

Kernow
25-05-2010, 09:52 PM
Hello, Im doing my first wedding on saturday (nothing too fancy and for people i work with)

Ive had a meeting with them and got all the songs and what they want to happen. But im starting to freak out on the timeings.

When do you do the first dance, farther daughter dance and farther mother dance.

Was going to start with backgroung music while people arrived. Then move onto the moder stuff. Open the buffet, Speackers and all that then. And then move onto the first dance followed by all the rest. IS THIS RIGHT? (probaby is just me freaking out like usual).

HELP is greatly appreciated.

THANKS
ELLIOTT :o

Hi Elliott
I think you have got the plan just about right.
Remember it's their first dance as a married couple, not the opening dance of the evening. Start with background as guests arrive and ,if any kids are present, play some charty stuff or whatever they respond to right up to the buffet. (The more of their energy you can sap, the less problematical they become later ;) ). You may be surpised at how many adults will join in ! ;) . Announce the buffet & go back to background. Ideally the first dance should be as soon as possible after the buffet but be prepared to be flexible and ask the B&G to tell you when they feel ready. Afterwards use the mic to ask for three cheers or similar & follow it up with the other requested 'slowies'. As folk drift away from the floor and the number dwindles it's time to get the dancey stuff up & running.
I'm sure you'll have a great night :)

Babybob
25-05-2010, 10:07 PM
Relax.

Treat it like any other disco - except it's not.

Liaise with the couple on the night.
Be flexible.
Be kind/polite to venue staff.
Work with them.

And you'll be fine. Let us know how you get on with videos and pictures! :beer1:

Incoming..........:sofa: ;)

leelive
26-05-2010, 08:43 AM
Hi Elliot

I do nearly 70 Weddings per year.

A suggested format that I find works well is:

7:00pm Background Music and Cake Cutting; 7:30pm First Dances; 7:35pm Disco; 9:00pm Buffet + Background Songs; 9:30pm Disco till late.

Not all B&Gs want the traditional introduction of their Bridal Party so you can simply ask them if they want an open invite - first for the Bridal Party and then for everyone to join them on the dancefloor.

Ask them couple if they would you like their friends and family to join them half-way through the First Dance or if they will be having a Second Dance.

If they are Canadian then they will want to do the Father Daughter Dance as the Second Dance. Otherwise save it for later after 10pm.

Here are a couple of tips.
Ask them to ensure their folks are in the room before the First Dance.
Check if any coaches are arriving to take guests away. You'll be surprised how many book coaches for BEFORE the official end!!
Make sure you ask the older/maturer folks what music they would like. If you keep them happy first then the B&G won't be worrying about if they are enjoying the evening.
Check what songs the B&G do not want playing. ie. Football songs, Boybands etc.

Hope it goes well.

Lee

yourdj
26-05-2010, 08:59 AM
1. background (chill as nothing runs on time - tell them that too) sometimes they cut cake at some point in the evening? this will require announcing.

2. first dance (obviously announce this and get everyone to dance floor - no lazy people sitting down!) - announce this five mins before so people are primed. ask them if they want people to join them and get names of key people (best men, brides maids etc. invite them on second verse or something)

3. father daughter if they want it? I often get the groom to dancing with his mum too.

4. few slow tracks - if they have a modern fd choose a classic or vice verser

5. party (if there is a buffet i out lights on a bit and slow the music)

6. last dance - i usually get people together when people start to leave (get the bride to give you the nod at this point) all night long is a killer track for this!

7. some slower tracks straight after as you have a packed floor then hit them with sex on fire or something like that.

8. classics all night and new york or something at the end (do a false ending ten mins before the actual end and then hot them with three great tracks.

Thats it i think? just take it easy and communicate with bride groom and staff (for example buffet time).
best men can be great tools too at getting people going and rounding people up.

Some are just complete tools so do not use them if that is the case!

have a good one.

ronedjs
30-05-2010, 06:33 PM
Hi Eveyone, Thanks for all your help. Overall the Wedding went well. Few problems my end with computer and camera but that dident affect the night. We didnt do the first dance till 10pm but thats what the B&G wanted. Got eveyone up dancing but once we did someone would ask us to do something else like presents and that, so couldent keep them dancing for long.

I enjoyed it but probably wont be going down that road I prefer the schools, and birthdays.

Once agin thanks for all your help really usefull.

Elliott

P.S. Sorry i havent got any pics camera was broken :(

DeckstarDeluxe
30-05-2010, 06:39 PM
Hi Eveyone, Thanks for all your help. Overall the Wedding went well. Few problems my end with computer and camera but that dident affect the night. We didnt do the first dance till 10pm but thats what the B&G wanted. Got eveyone up dancing but once we did someone would ask us to do something else like presents and that, so couldent keep them dancing for long.

I enjoyed it but probably wont be going down that road I prefer the schools, and birthdays.

Elliott

That is one point I get at some weddings which really annoy me when you get some sort of flow going and you have to start over again.

STEVE HANLEY
30-05-2010, 06:48 PM
[QUOTE=leelive;443162]

[I do nearly 70 Weddings per year.]

I am impressed mate. Care to share your secret?

Corabar Entertainment
30-05-2010, 06:50 PM
Which is why we try and get an itinerary of some sort. The night might not run to time, but if you know they are planning a 'stop-start' evening, you can offer your expertise and advice before the night.

They may decide to take your advice and change the timings - allowing you to make the evening flow better; or they may decide to ignore your advice, but at least they will have been warned that their plans are likely to make for a bit of a stilted evening.

Excalibur
30-05-2010, 07:18 PM
Which is why we try and get an itinerary of some sort. The night might not run to time, but if you know they are planning a 'stop-start' evening, you can offer your expertise and advice before the night.

They may decide to take your advice and change the timings - allowing you to make the evening flow better; or they may decide to ignore your advice, but at least they will have been warned that their plans are likely to make for a bit of a stilted evening.

Angela, I've got to admire your optimism immensely. I think it's the object of every person involved except the DJ to ensure that as soon as you get more than five people on the dancefloor, they have to cut the cake/have speeches/go home/stop proceedings in some way. :bang:

deltaforce
30-05-2010, 07:18 PM

Elliott

gotta say after the weekend like you my first wedding i would prefer weddings all the time they seem more up for it as the drinks been flowing all day

deltaforce
30-05-2010, 07:22 PM
also to add i thought the classics would all work at a wedding some did but not many they wanted upto date stuff when down a treat
i think older generation listen to the charts more now than they use to
had some in there 50's loving rianna = rude boy and dirty picture:eek: :eek:

Corabar Entertainment
30-05-2010, 07:29 PM
Angela, I've got to admire your optimism immensely. I think it's the object of every person involved except the DJ to ensure that as soon as you get more than five people on the dancefloor, they have to cut the cake/have speeches/go home/stop proceedings in some way. :bang:
Well, all I can say is that 99 times out of 100, it works for us - and those that don't take the advice were warned what would happen!

Excalibur
30-05-2010, 08:09 PM
Well, all I can say is that 99 times out of 100, it works for us - and those that don't take the advice were warned what would happen!

I can't believe that anybody would ever have the temerity to go against your advice! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Corabar Entertainment
30-05-2010, 08:10 PM
:ner:

Excalibur
30-05-2010, 08:15 PM
:ner:

You don't know just how many rejoinders to your previous post were available to me, which would have resulted in a far more severe response than :ner:

Then again, perhaps you do. ;) ;) :D :D :D

thomsonmwdj
20-08-2010, 04:35 PM
Deffo just go with the flow, there is no rule, but what you said is pretty much how all mine go.