PDA

View Full Version : What precautions should I be taking?

Jonathan Ford
27-05-2010, 11:48 AM
Hi Guys

As a relative newbie to this digital lark, what precautions should I be taking with my music collection? It's all stored on one laptop, as part of iTunes, and it's occurred to me that if the laptop dies or is stolen, my music collection, and therefore my business, goes with it.

Cheers

Jon

Solitaire Events Ltd
27-05-2010, 11:56 AM
Back it up is the obvious answer.

djdave01
27-05-2010, 11:56 AM
make sure you have a backup copy of your music drive, hard drives are the most likely thing to pack in as there the only moving part of a pc.

i have an ipod with me at all gigs loaded with the most commonly used music, just incase my pc plays up.

i got my pc custom build, its way more powerful than is required but if your not pushing the computer, its less likely to have problems. Since i got the pc 2 years ago, ive not had a single issue at a gig (touch wood)

over the years ive tried most of the dj software thats available, but ive stuck with virtual dj for the last few years with zero problems.

dave

Dynamic Entertainment
27-05-2010, 12:17 PM
Also, make sure you keep your laptop for djing only. Strip it out of everything it doesnt need to run your dj program and OS. If your shoving usb sticks and external HDDs between different machines and your laptop, its good to run virus scans on them every now and again, and i would suggest you dont use your djing laptop for surfing the net.

Larry B Entertainment
27-05-2010, 02:06 PM
Backup then Backup and then Backup again.

Keep a complete backup at a different site aswell, ie Friends house. That way if your house burns down or is broken into then you have a safety net.
Equipment can be replaced easier than a music collection that has taken years and years to build.

Corabar Entertainment
27-05-2010, 02:17 PM
But don't forget the terms of your ProDub licence :)

Jason
27-05-2010, 02:59 PM
Backups are important, but also good backups.. No point in not having the 1st dance only on your failed drive...

Assuming your using Windows, there is a free program called SyncToy that will ensure all your Drives are the same;
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=C26EFA36-98E0-4EE9-A7C5-98D0592D8C52&displaylang=en

It will only copy what is needed (and so fairly quick once its been done once).

Its also a good idea to look at every major part of your rig; Mixer, Amp (if on passives), Playback, Cables, and work out what you would do if they failed (or were stolen/lost).

Multiple failures can be hard to cover, but knowing what you'd do will really help one day!

rob1963
27-05-2010, 04:41 PM
But don't forget the terms of your ProDub licence :)

In case he was wondering, from the ProDub website:

15. Does my ProDub Licence allow me to make a back-up of the copies I make?

Yes it does. Furthermore, the additional copies that constitute your back-up database do not count as extra copies when calculating your licence fee, however, these back-up copies may not be used for your performances.

:)

Jonathan Ford
27-05-2010, 04:57 PM
I thought it was impossible to move iTunes music / copy the folder / back it up or whatever? I'm a complete and utter technophobe. How would I do that?

Solitaire Events Ltd
27-05-2010, 05:02 PM
Click on music - Itunes - Itunes music and then copy that folder or folders within.

StarZSoundS
27-05-2010, 05:45 PM
Hi Guys

As a relative newbie to this digital lark, what precautions should I be taking with my music collection? It's all stored on one laptop, as part of iTunes, and it's occurred to me that if the laptop dies or is stolen, my music collection, and therefore my business, goes with it.

Cheers

Jon

When your actually doing a function make sure you have a long enough lead so that it can sit somewhere comfortable...preferably on the floor.

You can't break wind near them....let alone drop 'em....:eek: :eek: :eek:

Excalibur
27-05-2010, 06:49 PM
Back it up is the obvious answer.
Oh no it isn't. ;)

Backup then Backup and then Backup again.
That is. :p :D :D :D

Backups are important, but also good backups.. No point in not having the 1st dance only on your failed drive...

Assuming your using Windows, there is a free program called SyncToy that will ensure all your Drives are the same;
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=C26EFA36-98E0-4EE9-A7C5-98D0592D8C52&displaylang=en

It will only copy what is needed (and so fairly quick once its been done once).

Its also a good idea to look at every major part of your rig; Mixer, Amp (if on passives), Playback, Cables, and work out what you would do if they failed (or were stolen/lost).

Multiple failures can be hard to cover, but knowing what you'd do will really help one day!
Fantastic. Now that sounds exactly what I need. Ta.

In case he was wondering, from the ProDub website:

15. Does my ProDub Licence allow me to make a back-up of the copies I make?

Yes it does. Furthermore, the additional copies that constitute your back-up database do not count as extra copies when calculating your licence fee, however, these back-up copies may not be used for your performances.

:)
Thanks Rob, no matter how many times that is stated, it seems to be overlooked. As I understand it, you can have as many copies and backups as you like, as long as you don't use them for playout.
Lord knows what happens if the playout drive dies, I suppose as long as you destroy it immediately after, then the first backup becomes the Produb drive, and the licence terms are unchanged? :confused:

Next week I'm going to explain the finer points of particle physics with relevance to the Hadron Collider. It's got to be easier than Produb. :( :( :( :(

rob1963
27-05-2010, 06:56 PM
As I understand it, you can have as many copies and backups as you like, as long as you don't use them for playout.

That's also my understanding, and I hope I'm right, as I have FIVE copies of all my music...three on ipods (only one of which I connect to my system & use at gigs), one on this desktop computer & one on an external hard drive which my computer gets backed up to once a month & which is kept off site.

Excalibur
27-05-2010, 07:00 PM
That's also my understanding, and I hope I'm right, as I have FIVE copies of all my music...three on ipods (only one of which I connect to my system & use at gigs), one on this desktop computer & one on an external hard drive which my computer gets backed up to once a month & which is kept off site.

I can't believe I'm going to type this, but: I agree completely with Rob, and follow an almost identical policy!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

rob1963
27-05-2010, 07:02 PM
I agree completely with Rob, and follow an almost identical policy!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

:jawdrop: