PDA

View Full Version : Charges

Candybeatdiscos
05-07-2006, 10:14 PM
Hi all,

New to the forum, and to my own business...

Wondering whats best to charge, a lot of the companies round here will charge 60-120 quid for an evenings entertainment...

my packages look to start at £200 for adult disco's, and 100-250 for kids (have three packages - the more expensive includes entertainer)

tell me your thoughts and add to the poll if you can

Corabar Entertainment
05-07-2006, 10:24 PM
Hi there and welcome along to the forum :teeth:

I certainly think this is the first time that a Newbie has posted a poll in their first post!

..... the age old question of pricing! We have had this one several times on here, and it really is difficult to tell anyone else what they should charge.

There are so many factors! Apart from the differences in service between one DJ and another, there are the outside factors - ie location. What is reasonable in one area is not in another.

Shaun (EliteDJ) is in your neck of the woods and can no doubt help in telling us what the 'local' market is like.

What type of client are you targeting?

Corabar Entertainment
05-07-2006, 10:25 PM
PS - I think most of the answers you will get is that there is no such thing as a 'standard' 5 hour gig! :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

Jiggles
05-07-2006, 10:28 PM
I hope this isnt going to turn like when i asked it :zip::zip::eek:

Candybeatdiscos
05-07-2006, 10:28 PM
I will take any and every client, there are too many beer money DJ's in the area - in fact i can only thinkl of two reputable companies within the Dunfermline area who charge upwards of £120, but the going rate in Dunfermline 15 years ago was £100 lol, I am looking at offering that little bit extra and really blowing everyone else away.

My big selling point is 100% guarantee that the customer will enjoy the evening or they get all thier money back. - check my website for terms

BeerFunk
05-07-2006, 10:30 PM
Well I'm just over the water from you, and I don't go out for less than £100

Candybeatdiscos
05-07-2006, 10:34 PM
PS - I think most of the answers you will get is that there is no such thing as a 'standard' 5 hour gig! :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

Ok lets say a 30th birthday lasting 7pm-12 midnight for 80 people at a local pub/hotel

Corabar Entertainment
05-07-2006, 10:40 PM
Have a little nosey at this thread: http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1001&highlight=charging

A similar poll and discussion last December.

Shaun
05-07-2006, 10:46 PM
Hi all,

New to the forum, and to my own business...

Wondering whats best to charge, a lot of the companies round here will charge 60-120 quid for an evenings entertainment...

my packages look to start at £200 for adult disco's, and 100-250 for kids (have three packages - the more expensive includes entertainer)

tell me your thoughts and add to the poll if you can

Howdy neighbour...I'm just along the road from you (Methil).

The prices you mentioned you will be charging are in the right range of what to charge. How right you are about the £60 - £120 companies in the locality. Glad to see you've set your sets higher and set yourself apart from the "cheapies" :). A man after my own heart.

Welcome to the community mate...looking forward to chatting (and networking) with you.

(Shaun)

Candybeatdiscos
05-07-2006, 10:49 PM
hmmmm interesting...I have to agree with Darren though...I am wanting to quit my job, run my own business (perhaps set up a shop selling DJ Equiptment/Music/Ipod's etc for day to day running) as well as running basically a Disco/Entertainments agency covering the whole of Scotland but paying a fair price for the DJ's.

In May my work had a end of (tax) year party (at Edinburgh Corn Exchange) and the DJ was being paid £80, for 7pm-2am (Band on for Hour, Equiptment supplied) but the agency were charging the venue £300 (there was perhaps 200 people there). If i were to work as an agency I would charge say £350, my DJ would be paid £170 as well as transported to and from the gig and my own equiptment used....does this sound daft?

Candybeatdiscos
05-07-2006, 10:51 PM
Howdy neighbour...I'm just along the road from you (Methil).

The prices you mentioned you will be charging are in the right range of what to charge. How right you are about the £60 - £120 companies in the locality. Glad to see you've set your sets higher and set yourself apart from the "cheapies" :). A man after my own heart.

Welcome to the community mate...looking forward to chatting (and networking) with you.

Hi Shaun, nice to meet ya, keep a note of my numbers if you require anyone to cover a gig then please feel free to give me a shout :)

Corabar Entertainment
05-07-2006, 10:52 PM
Just be careful - if you run an agency, there is an awful lot of legislation you need to get on top of and comply with! :omg:

Shaun
05-07-2006, 10:55 PM
Hi Shaun, nice to meet ya, keep a note of my numbers if you require anyone to cover a gig then please feel free to give me a shout :)

Absolutely...I've already saved your contact details (from your website) :)
You can grab my details from my site...just click on the banner under my posts.

Glad you've found your way to the MDD forums.

Jiggles
05-07-2006, 10:56 PM
Im the cheapest of the cheap £20 to £40 :embarasse

And everyone knows why... :teeth:

Candybeatdiscos
Just be careful - if you run an agency, there is an awful lot of legislation you need to get on top of and comply with! :omg:

Yeah I am aware of some of it - that idea is away in the future lol i wanna just establish myself first and get rid of the beer money DJ's who dont have PLI or PAT, as too many guys out there are ripping off the public and i would hate to see what would happen if a speaker or light fell on top of someone and they got seriously hurt...they wouldn't (excuse the pun) have a leg to stand on when it came to sueing the DJ/Disco Company.

Plus not only that - i have went legal, got my tax sorted etc, i run about in a clapped out van (can't afford a new one yet), I have spent just under a grand changing my karaoke from copies to original discs... I dont wanna be a beer money DJ i wanna be reputable business

Solitaire Events Ltd
Welcome Lewnics!

Were you referring to me earlier?

Corabar Entertainment
05-07-2006, 10:57 PM
I dont wanna be a beer money DJ i wanna be reputable businessWell you've come to the right place :teeth: :teeth:

Callum: your time will come!!!! :teeth: :teeth:

Candybeatdiscos
05-07-2006, 10:58 PM
yes Darren i was...regarding your postin in the december thread about charges lol

Jiggles
05-07-2006, 10:59 PM
Callum: your time will come!!!! :teeth: :teeth:

Ye in a years time :teeth::teeth::teeth:

Shaun
05-07-2006, 11:00 PM
Ok lets say a 30th birthday lasting 7pm-12 midnight for 80 people at a local pub/hotel

My price would start at £200 for the above details..basic set-up ( more if there's stairs involved in the load-in)

Solitaire Events Ltd
05-07-2006, 11:02 PM
yes Darren i was...regarding your postin in the december thread about charges lol

Cool.

I was just wondering how I came into the equation, when I hadn't posted in the thread!

Must concentrate more... :beer: :beer:

Shaun
05-07-2006, 11:02 PM
i wanna just establish myself first and get rid of the beer money DJ's who dont have PLI or PAT, as too many guys out there are ripping off the public

I Like Ya Already!!!

You're going to fit in just fine here.

Paul James Promotions
05-07-2006, 11:04 PM
Welcome to the forum.

For weddings and corporate shows we do ourself, we have a standard fee of £275.00 + VAT for the first 3 hours, then £50.00 + VAT per extra hour.

Corabar Entertainment
05-07-2006, 11:04 PM
Ye in a years time :teeth::teeth::teeth:Hmmm - more like 3-4 years before you are fully independent, up and running fully (small matter of driving?) :teeth:

Still, just think how much further ahead of your peers you will be by that time! :omg:

Jiggles
05-07-2006, 11:10 PM
Hmmm - more like 3-4 years before you are fully independent, up and running fully (small matter of driving?) :teeth:

Still, just think how much further ahead of your peers you will be by that time! :omg:

I mean for the grant.:teeth:

Solitaire Events Ltd
05-07-2006, 11:10 PM
Welcome to the forum.

For weddings and corporate shows we do ourself, we have a standard fee of £275.00 + VAT for the first 3 hours, then £50.00 + VAT per extra hour.

Why 3 hours J?

Standard show is normally at least 4.

Paul James Promotions
05-07-2006, 11:12 PM
Minimum of 3 hours.

Solitaire Events Ltd
05-07-2006, 11:13 PM
Minimum of 3 hours.

Ah! :)

Corabar Entertainment
05-07-2006, 11:17 PM
I mean for the grant.:teeth:You are getting a grant when you are 15? For what, exactly? (Not being sarcastic - seriously interested)

Jiggles
05-07-2006, 11:20 PM
You are getting a grant when you are 15? For what, exactly? (Not being sarcastic - seriously interested)

No i mean for the grant that i got at the start of the year the £1400 one

Candybeatdiscos
05-07-2006, 11:21 PM
You are getting a grant when you are 15? For what, exactly? (Not being sarcastic - seriously interested)

Community radio perhaps? I was trying to set up a community radio station last year - started off well with loads of volunteers till they realised we wanted a committee set up first - obtain £500k in sponsorships for 5 year license etc and had basically two years to go before we would even begin broadcasting....then it was left to me and a mate :(

so i set up my own company instead ....

Corabar Entertainment
05-07-2006, 11:22 PM
Sorry Callum - I forgot...... also just noticed under your tag under your forum ID...... PMSL!!!!! :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

Daz - you've got a lot to answer for!!!!!!!

Jiggles
05-07-2006, 11:23 PM
I know he has he changed it for me

Paul James Promotions
05-07-2006, 11:24 PM
LMAO :teeth:

Candybeatdiscos
05-07-2006, 11:28 PM
not bad going for my first post eh? i have amassed 4 pages worth of replys etc ...lol

Shaun
05-07-2006, 11:36 PM
Not too bad at all ;)

Solitaire Events Ltd
05-07-2006, 11:49 PM
Sorry Callum - I forgot...... also just noticed under your tag under your forum ID...... PMSL!!!!! :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

Daz - you've got a lot to answer for!!!!!!!

Not guilty m'lady...

I was asked :)

Corabar Entertainment
05-07-2006, 11:51 PM
Yes but it's your fault he wanted it changed! :)

Solitaire Events Ltd
05-07-2006, 11:54 PM
Yes but it's your fault he wanted it changed! :)

Sorry, I was feeling a little skittish... :)

(No, not Scottish)