PDA

View Full Version : DJ Patter

Candybeatdiscos
06-07-2006, 10:11 AM
Come on guys (n Gals) whats your favourite patter lines? one of my favourites i use sometimes is

"Come on ladies get the creases out yer knickers"

whats yours?

screamersTess
06-07-2006, 10:43 AM
Ooh Peter Kay eat your heart out :)

I just find that being a lady I can get away with all sorts of things that the guys can't! :angel:

KrazyKaz
06-07-2006, 10:48 AM
Ooh Peter Kay eat your heart out :)

I just find that being a lady I can get away with all sorts of things that the guys can't! :angel:

I agree, being a girlie has its advantages :omg:

pdarnett
06-07-2006, 11:14 AM
I always like (when playing "simply the best")

You can't beat Tina Turner.....

Unless of course you're Ike Turner!

Shaun
06-07-2006, 11:15 AM
LMAO @ Lewnics & Paul.

Corabar Steve
06-07-2006, 11:42 AM
I seriously hope this is a joke thread!

It's no wonder the general public's perception of mobile DJs is so poor if we do come out with claptrap like this!

Looks like Peter Kay is right after all, unbelievable!

Jiggles
06-07-2006, 11:57 AM
I seriously hope this is a joke thread!

Nope.:sad:

Candybeatdiscos
06-07-2006, 11:59 AM

ouch...i wouldn't attempt that one...sorry i think thats poor taste

Corabar Entertainment
06-07-2006, 12:02 PM
ouch...i wouldn't attempt that one...sorry i think thats poor taste
Have to say, I agree - sorry! :omg:

Shaun
06-07-2006, 12:04 PM
Poor taste yes...would I use it at an event, NEVER!...did it give me a laugh while reading it, I'm afraid so. I admit I like bad jokes.

Corabar Steve
06-07-2006, 12:15 PM
Don't get me wrong, I laughed at both of them, but if DJs are still coming out with stuff like that then we've not progressed in 30 years.

abyssdjhire
06-07-2006, 12:16 PM
i don't reckon i need to comment on this thread....................!

Corabar Steve
06-07-2006, 12:20 PM
i don't reckon i need to comment on this thread....................!
Liam's Dj patter = :zip:

:teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

abyssdjhire
06-07-2006, 12:28 PM
too bloody right! shabba!

Corabar Steve
06-07-2006, 12:29 PM
Lmao!

abyssdjhire
06-07-2006, 12:30 PM
heres a rave from the graaaaaaaaaahahahaaaaaave..... REWIND!

pdarnett
06-07-2006, 12:47 PM
hey people chill, just joking, i'm sure ike turner never beat the living crap out of his wife ever.

mikeee
09-07-2006, 02:35 AM
PMSL

Must remember the Tina Turner (lol)

CRAZY K
09-07-2006, 08:09 AM
30 years Steve---just a beginner then :teeth:

CRAZY K

soundtracker
09-07-2006, 12:01 PM
Tch! bits of kids!!

Corabar Entertainment
09-07-2006, 12:03 PM
Well at least the rest of us don't lie about our ages! ;) :angel:

soundtracker
09-07-2006, 12:05 PM
Look I've explained this before- its not a lie- its my official stage age!

Corabar Steve
09-07-2006, 01:45 PM
PMSL

Must remember the Tina Turner (lol)
Wasn't that funny
30 years Steve---just a beginner then :teeth:

CRAZY KWhoooooooosh, straight over my head???????(I've only just got up :embarasse )

Care to explain?

Look I've explained this before- its not a lie- its my official stage age!
& it's about as believeable as Joan Collins's :teeth:

Jiggles
09-07-2006, 02:29 PM
(I've only just got up :embarasse )

Lazy!! No excues Steve

Have a disco
09-07-2006, 02:37 PM
Don't get me wrong, I laughed at both of them, but if DJs are still coming out with stuff like that then we've not progressed in 30 years.

and I suppose you never come out with any amusing patter to gee the crowd up??? especially if its a quiet nite and a hard to please crowd

Corabar Steve
09-07-2006, 02:40 PM
and I suppose you never come out with any amusing patter to gee the crowd up??? especially if its a quiet nite and a hard to please crowd
I'm not a comedian, I leave telling jokes to people who.....

a) are genuinely funny (left myself wide open there, come on take your best shots guys!)

or

b) get paid to be funny

Corabar Steve
09-07-2006, 02:45 PM
Lazy!! No excues Steve
Callum, let me give you a lesson in Corabar Steve Maths.....

I was in Ascot last night.

Ascot to Barnet + unpack van + unwind/beer/natter = Late night

Late night + 7am start = me going to bed at 10am

Me going to bed at 10am + Late night = Me getting up at 2:30pm :teeth:

Groove Spinner
09-07-2006, 03:19 PM
I always stay quiet when I'm DJing.- There's just no need for any patter - it has the majority of guests cringing in their seats! If they want a comedian, they will book one!

The only exceptions are kids' parties, when I go mobile with the radio mic and join in the fun on the dance floor. Although I'm certainly not Ant or Dec, I've done quite a few pantomimes in my time, so find it easy to relate to the kids (or is it that I've never really grown up?)

Have a disco
09-07-2006, 04:06 PM
The joys of different styled DJ's Im a personality DJ its my personality and music that helps sel more nights ie continued family bookings, so a certain amount of patter is always necessary, especially when I was working at chicago's where winding a crowd up is essential to get more booze sold etc etc and a good crowd dancing. It dont always mean being a 'Peter Kay' Image but is a lot of hard work in the preparation of a nights entertainment.

Classic Patter DJ's include the likes of Kenny Everett, Mike Reid & Noel Edmunds

Peter Kay adverts only pinch a snippet of some disasterous comments made at disco's that some DJ's have come out with and look funny after the actual events. Many comedians have parodied DJ's at one time or another the worst to date alan partridge LOL if thats his real name

+Scooby+
09-07-2006, 04:10 PM

ROFLMAO

Sorry ladies

Corabar Steve
09-07-2006, 04:12 PM
The joys of different styled DJ's Im a personality DJ its my personality and music that helps sel more nights How would it sell more nights at a wedding disco for example?? The bulk of guests want to dance / listen to the music not listen to some Neil Fox wannabe padding out their own ego.
Classic Patter DJ's include the likes of Kenny Everett, Mike Reid & Noel Edmunds All radio DJs, doesn' that tell you something??????
worst to date alan partridge LOL if thats his real nameWhat Steve Coogan?

leighinstoke
09-07-2006, 06:11 PM
Every crowd is different.

If I feel the event needs a lot of talking, I'll talk whereas if it doesn't, I keep shut and just make whatever announcements are needed. If it's a booking for people I know, I do chat but more to them than as a DJ as they expect it (picking one or two out, etc).

Kids parties are different - get out there and do it - and the missus often helps so she has the radio mic on the go.

Have a disco
09-07-2006, 09:39 PM
Please I do weigh up each andevry night sometime more patter is needed than others including blooming weddings(a definite sense of humour is requred) then everything can and will go out the window

Corabar Steve
09-07-2006, 09:48 PM
everything can and will go out the window
Including your rig? :teeth:

Candybeatdiscos
09-07-2006, 10:55 PM
I have to admit that i cannot personally stand a silent DJ, i really feel that the DJ should put his personality into his work, have a chat with people, not in a seat cringing way, more of a enthusiastic way...really work the crowd up and make them feel really special - people tend to complain if the DJ doesn't say nowt

soundtracker
09-07-2006, 10:59 PM
its a thin line indeed between what is and isn't acceptable. I think the old Smashey & Nicey type 80's patter is a definite no-no!

abyssdjhire
09-07-2006, 11:21 PM
I have to admit that i cannot personally stand a silent DJ, i really feel that the DJ should put his personality into his work, have a chat with people, not in a seat cringing way, more of a enthusiastic way...really work the crowd up and make them feel really special - people tend to complain if the DJ doesn't say nowt

we've never had a complaint... we prefer to talk to the people there in person rather than get on peoples nerves with a mic..

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-07-2006, 11:32 PM
we've never had a complaint... we prefer to talk to the people there in person rather than get on peoples nerves with a mic..

But there are certain times and situations where having the ability to use the mic is crucial, so even if you don't feel you need to use it, you must have the ability to if needed.

abyssdjhire
09-07-2006, 11:34 PM
well yeah obviously :) i dont think anyone could argue with that one... shabba :p

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-07-2006, 11:34 PM
well yeah obviously :) i dont think anyone could argue with that one... shabba :p

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewind.... :teeth:

abyssdjhire
09-07-2006, 11:38 PM
and i quote -

yeeeeeeah.... welcome to part two.... as were takin you on a jooooooourney... ten years of jungle drum and bass... mixed down... by the true jungle veterans... nicky blackmarket... and the micky finn! as were takin it.... to all four corners of the globe..... drum and bass... the universal worldwide music.... international business... time to get with this... goin out to all the crews bearing witness... nicky blackmarket micky finn mixin down with this!

SAAAAADDDDD ACT!!!!! get the HELL off the mic, im TRYING to listen to this cd!!!!!!

BeerFunk
09-07-2006, 11:55 PM
SAAAAADDDDD ACT!!!!! get the HELL off the mic, im TRYING to listen to this cd!!!!!!What... on... earth..... ?? :confused:

I only use the mic when necessary - I try to keep the music going. I try to know every track I play, and where it is possible to talk over the music (when there is a breakdown in the tune) - I avoid cutting the music out to talk if possible (of course it isn't possible half the time)

abyssdjhire
10-07-2006, 12:01 AM
the drum & bass cd im listening to currently has some stupid arse of an "MC" blabbering over a good portion of it in a stupid voice. the above is a quote from him, and i wish he'd just shut the hell up

BeerFunk
10-07-2006, 12:05 AM
the drum & bass cd im listening to currently has some stupid arse of an "MC" blabbering over a good portion of it in a stupid voice. the above is a quote from him, and i wish he'd just shut the hell up
Oh yeah, I hate when they do that! :mad:

Most DJs hate having to work with an MC, unless they get a particularly good one, who works with the music

abyssdjhire
10-07-2006, 12:18 AM
most of them are just tosspots. MC's suit drum & bass, oldskool.. that kind of thing... but they definately have to be a decent MC, not some scrawny chav complete with burberry, spittin' hiz rhymes ova da choons, yeh?

BeerFunk
10-07-2006, 01:54 AM
J'agree

flatliners
15-09-2007, 12:37 PM
i some times say here is a burner from turner
or if i am playing melba moore this is it a little bit before she says this its it i say 1976 here is the super sound of melba moore then she says one the song this is it
or y.m.c.a just before the lyrics start i say here is the sound of the village people and yyy mmmm cccc aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
or here is 12345 star
or for the slow records if it is a really cheesey disco then i say now its time for the erection section

rob1963
15-09-2007, 12:48 PM
...or "Now it's time for your ration of passion" :rolleyes:

Dragonfly
15-09-2007, 12:51 PM
i think im going to be sick :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

Solitaire Events Ltd
15-09-2007, 12:55 PM
i some times say here is a burner from turner
or if i am playing melba moore this is it a little bit before she says this its it i say 1976 here is the super sound of melba moore then she says one the song this is it
or y.m.c.a just before the lyrics start i say here is the sound of the village people and yyy mmmm cccc aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
or here is 12345 star
or for the slow records if it is a really cheesey disco then i say now its time for the erection section

I'm sorry to say that I reckon it's phrases like that, that give us a bad name these days.

It used to be alright 20 years ago...

rob1963
15-09-2007, 01:02 PM
I'm sorry to say that I reckon it's phrases like that, that give us a bad name these days.

It used to be alright 20 years ago...

I agree...hence the sarcastic smiley after my suggestion!

Solitaire Events Ltd
15-09-2007, 01:03 PM
I agree...hence the sarcastic smiley after my suggestion!

I better concentrate next Friday then....don't want to appear to be a hypocrite :D

rob1963
15-09-2007, 01:04 PM
I better concentrate next Friday then....don't want to appear to be a hypocrite :D

:Laugh:

Dragonfly
15-09-2007, 01:14 PM

dont concentrate too hard though Daz it will spoil the fun for you when youre waving your hands in the air like you just dont care and screaming because you want to go faster :D :D :D :D

Solitaire Events Ltd
15-09-2007, 01:15 PM
Everybody say HO!

Dragonfly
15-09-2007, 01:17 PM
HOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!

The DJ above is a legend :D

PropellerHeadCase
15-09-2007, 09:30 PM
Lets all chant?

It's funny I know I need to speak more on the mic, not a lot more, but a bit. None of this cheesy rubbish though, just functional "feel free to make a request" type stuff, but in a way that sounds polished - I do it, just not as much as some gigs require.

I have been known to make the odd funny at gigs, like when everyone's clapping in the breakdown of the Grease Megamix and there are a few rhythmically challenged individuals... "One tempo/rhythm at a time, please".

I did get a laugh on one occasion when this guy was spinning his daughter (10ish) around at speed and I commented, "Dancers should please be aware of low-flying children."

spin mobile disco
16-09-2007, 01:44 AM
I use a few tag lines for some songs. Sometimes you just have to put people at their ease . This means they are less self conscious and makes you more approciable when they want a request etc.
Sometimes though the best definition of a DJ is knowing what to say and when to say it. And when to let the music do the talking. (hate that expression but it does fit)

Dillmiester
16-09-2007, 02:50 AM
"Everyone get on the dance floor to come on Ilene"

always make me laugh but im a bit twisted like that!

Dragonfly
16-09-2007, 07:14 AM
"Everyone get on the dance floor to come on Ilene"

always make me laugh but im a bit twisted like that!

indeed come on eileen one of the only songs I know you can get arrested for doing the actions to :D :D :D

wensleydale
16-09-2007, 12:10 PM
"Classic Patter DJ's include the likes of Kenny Everett, Mike Reid & Noel Edmunds"

Is that what we are aiming for these days.
Might as well give up now.
Did you see the documentary about the radio station Read is working on now?
He should be ashamed of himself.

axeman
16-09-2007, 02:47 PM
Its like everything else, every gig is different, and we are all different too, some DJ's have quick wits and can ad-lib very quickly and some are less able to do so! sometime its appropriate and sometimes not.

Ive found that a few lines of welcome etc, early on in the night relaxes the crowd and can warm them to you. so i generally dont say anything until around 8pmish then make a little speech about the bars hours, my name, any requests etc even sometimes where the toilets are.

and i have a load of lines i've picked up or made up over the years, some more cheesy than others, but more often than not they get the desired effect
eg. towards the end of a wedding, with tina turner cued up, I leave a little gap in the music to get peoples attention, then say "the groom (name) has asked me to play a special song for his family and friends, to thank you all so much, and to let you know he thinks you are all, especially his new & beautiful bride, he thinks you are simply the best" pressing play at the appropriate time...

the effect this can have is awesome, peolpe patting him on the back -shaking his hand and even crying,

the power of some well thought out "patter" is a tool we have in our DJ locker, whether we use it or not is up to the individual, on the night.

Dragonfly
16-09-2007, 02:49 PM
Its like everything else, every gig is different, and we are all different too, some DJ's have quick wits and can ad-lib very quickly and some are less able to do so! sometime its appropriate and sometimes not.

Ive found that a few lines of welcome etc, early on in the night relaxes the crowd and can warm them to you. so i generally dont say anything until around 8pmish then make a little speech about the bars hours, my name, any requests etc even sometimes where the toilets are.

and i have a load of lines i've picked up or made up over the years, some more cheesy than others, but more often than not they get the desired effect
eg. towards the end of a wedding, with tina turner cued up, I leave a little gap in the music to get peoples attention, then say "the groom (name) has asked me to play a special song for his family and friends, to thank you all so much, and to let you know he thinks you are all, especially his new & beautiful bride, he thinks you are simply the best" pressing play at the appropriate time...

the effect this can have is awesome, peolpe patting him on the back -shaking his hand and even crying,

the power of some well thought out "patter" is a tool we have in our DJ locker, whether we use it or not is up to the individual, on the night.

pretty much spot on id say.

wensleydale
16-09-2007, 03:19 PM

people crying.
i see.
some of the earlier phrases in this thread made me cry too.

PropellerHeadCase
16-09-2007, 04:07 PM
Of course if said groom hates Tina Turner... :eek:

axeman
16-09-2007, 05:29 PM
Of course if said groom hates Tina Turner...

lol, nice one alan, that is something that crosses my mind frequently

another cheesy classic - when the first dance is just finishing

"ladies and gentlemen a beautiful song for a beautiful couple, angela and dave or should i say the brand new mr and mrs porter"

building up from quiet to start to loud on the mr and mrs bit.

djsteve10
16-09-2007, 07:02 PM
I always try and keep away from the cheesy disco lines, i don't want to be stereotyped as a "peter kay" Dj lol

Vectis
16-09-2007, 07:13 PM
I ALWAYS ask clients how chatty & cheesy they want the patter to be. I offer them a scale of 0-10 where 0 is say nothing, nada, nowt and 10 is Smashey & Nicey / Peter Kay etc.

Folks tend to fall into two camps. Most folks ask for '2 or 3' - ie. introductions, essentials, occasional encouragement, MC any speeches or presentations. The remainder usually ask for '5 or 6' - ie. a bit of chatter but not cheesey or cringeworthy or OTT.

Whatever they want, I'm happy to oblige!

Can't remember the last time I did a 6+ gig though so read into that what you will :beer1: