PDA

View Full Version : Hmmm Dilema

Candybeatdiscos
06-07-2006, 04:39 PM
Hi all,

I am based in Fife and have been asked by the wifes cousin to do his wedding (in Wrexham in 2007) Now i have always maintained that for family and close friends i wont give them preferentisal prices - i think if you do it for one you do it for them all.

The cousin has advised that he wants to pay but obviously not too much.
Now i would be there as a guest anyway (we are close and he visits us 3 or 4 times a year)
how much should i charge? My normal for that here would be £250

Paul James Promotions
06-07-2006, 04:44 PM
£100 plus drinks all night for you and your family :thumbs_up

Solitaire Events Ltd
06-07-2006, 04:45 PM
Hi all,

I am based in Fife and have been asked by the wifes cousin to do his wedding (in Wrexham in 2007) Now i have always maintained that for family and close friends i wont give them preferentisal prices - i think if you do it for one you do it for them all.

The cousin has advised that he wants to pay but obviously not too much.
Now i would be there as a guest anyway (we are close and he visits us 3 or 4 times a year)
how much should i charge? My normal for that here would be £250

I would charge your normal price, plus a nominal amount for fuel and ask that he pays for accommodation.

music-2-play
06-07-2006, 04:46 PM
Like you, I avoid doing parties for friends and family wherever possible because 1) I could be earning more money elsewhere and 2) I'd probably rather be out on the dancefloor with my friends than stuck behind the decks. Even so, I think a £30 discount is the most you should reasonably discount....unless they've given you a kidney in the past.

Matt

Candybeatdiscos
06-07-2006, 04:58 PM
cheers for the thoughts guys...i am now going to have to take both the van and car (van needed for equiptment) so still unsure what to do

Shaun
06-07-2006, 05:03 PM
Tell them how much you would love to attend the wedding as a GUEST. Let them know that they are so close to you you would prefer to just kick back and enjoy the day/evening with them in a non work capacity. They'll understand.

Candybeatdiscos
06-07-2006, 05:57 PM
mmmm but he has specifically requested me...not for favours but because he wants a scottish dj for his welsh wedding (he is english by the way lol)

Corabar Entertainment
06-07-2006, 06:06 PM
Difficult one...... I suppose the first question you need to answer before 'how much?' is are you happy to be working rather than being the other side of the decks?

BeerFunk
06-07-2006, 06:50 PM
Well, what does your wife feel you should do? I reckon she plays a big part in your decision, seeing as it's someone from her side of the family. Personally, if it was someone close to me, I'd do it for half price.

I would charge your normal price, plus a nominal amount for fuel and ask that he pays for accommodation.Er... doesn't that work out as quite a bit more than he charges a regular client?! :confused:

Solitaire Events Ltd
06-07-2006, 06:53 PM
Well, what does your wife feel you should do? I reckon she plays a big part in your decision, seeing as it's someone from her side of the family. Personally, if it was someone close to me, I'd do it for half price.

Er... doesn't that work out as quite a bit more than he charges a regular client?! :confused:

Yes, but he did specify that he didn't do any family or friends special prices.

How much would it cost in fuel driving from Scotland to Wales, plus staying in a Hotel?

It doubt anyone would want to make a loss..

ian8limelight
06-07-2006, 06:58 PM
There are some questions to be asked here:-

1. Would you normally have to take 2 vehicles to the wedding ? If no, then charge for the 2nd one.

2. Would you evaluate your decision and make a discount/no charge for the disco ?

3. Would you have to pay for the accomodation if you were going to the wedding anyway ?

I personally (and I may have to do a similar one myself ....... but not in Wrexham !) would charge for the additional fuel/vehicle wear & tear (xxxx pence per mile) + pay for your accomodation + your beer)

Candybeatdiscos
06-07-2006, 07:03 PM
the accomodation is already sorted - we will be staying at his place whilst he buggers off to Paris, i dont mind working cause my whole social life has always been behind the decks, plus if someone else was to do it i would sit and crticise them all night - which would infutriate the wife...

ian8limelight
06-07-2006, 07:05 PM
the accomodation is already sorted - we will be staying at his place whilst he buggers off to Paris, i dont mind working cause my whole social life has always been behind the decks, plus if someone else was to do it i would sit and crticise them all night - which would infutriate the wife...

and you would have to BUY the :beer: :beer: :beer:

Candybeatdiscos
06-07-2006, 07:23 PM
oh no - they know i am scots and being tight fisted is par for the course so i have a free bar lol

ian8limelight
06-07-2006, 07:31 PM
Oh well, it's just the additional vehicle cost if it applies.

Have a disco
06-07-2006, 07:33 PM
Suggest £200 fine enough and class the rest as his wedding gift to him from you, also think of taking another DJ to do the warm up etc etc. you do the main set and the warm up does all the end party stuff and slowies, you get too spend time with misses as well as do main part of night everyone will be happy

Candybeatdiscos
06-07-2006, 07:38 PM
yeah cool idea actually...i think i may just do that...ok £200, and i take my wee trainee along with tme for the ride...that way i dont need to get all sweaty doing the setting up and packing away lol...

cheers guys

Solitaire Events Ltd
06-07-2006, 07:40 PM
WOW! A forum first, someone taking Badgers advice!!:D

Only joking Badger!;):D

Candybeatdiscos
06-07-2006, 08:21 PM
is that a bad sign? Should i look at other poeples ideas lol

Solitaire Events Ltd
06-07-2006, 08:28 PM
is that a bad sign? Should i look at other poeples ideas lol

You haven't been here long...you'll learn :teeth: