PDA

View Full Version : Do You Think I'm Silly

Candybeatdiscos
06-07-2006, 07:18 PM
Like many businesses you need something that helps you stand out from the crowd, i mean if we were all to go into a room and the customer was to come and ask ok why should i choose you to provide my entertainment...we would all shout that we had the best equiptment, the most music, we had loads of experiance etc - there is nothing to set us apart from the rest

Well i have now stated that if someone books a gig, and they don't have an enjoyable night then i don't deserve thier cash...so i offer a 100% money back guarantee so that if they book me (i aint the cheapest option) they feel that they are getting something special (well the are...they get me lol)

However a few guys in the business up here are saying that i am stupid for offering such a gusrantee...what do you think?

Fresh
06-07-2006, 07:23 PM
Well i have now stated that if someone books a gig, and they don't have an enjoyable night then i don't deserve thier cash...so i offer a 100% money back guarantee so that if they book me (i aint the cheapest option) they feel that they are getting something special (well the are...they get me lol)

However a few guys in the business up here are saying that i am stupid for offering such a gusrantee...what do you think?

you could never ensure this happened just like a comedian can never guarentee to make you laugh.

the problem aslo comes from claw backs, i can book you whenever i want, dance all night and then say i did not enjoy myself .... how can you counter-claim

Solitaire Events Ltd
06-07-2006, 07:24 PM
The trouble is with that, is if you get a dodgy customer who is looking for a way not to pay.

You could of had a brilliant night, full dance floor etc etc and then they come up and start making excuses why they didn't like you or what you did, just so they get a free disco.

The chances of this happening are probably very small, but it could happen.

Have a disco
06-07-2006, 07:26 PM
I will have to agree with your mates you would be silly to return all of the money a maximum of 10% would seem fairer as you have done the job at hand as booked. There are always continuous whiners looking to cut costs, or get a refund because they didnt get what they were expecting.

It comes down to how much you are going out for if your charging £250 then a refund could be justified.. But If your going out for £130 the you went out and paid for peanuts thats what you got comes to mind. I dare say your not that daft

Candybeatdiscos
06-07-2006, 07:28 PM
yeah well i thought about that - but at the end of the day they would need to come up through the night and explain why they are not enjoying it in order for me to change the way its going, i ensure this is on the booking form.

Also if the place is jumping then i can could say to the guy/gal look at the end of the day everyone is enjoying themselves - if the dancefloor is full tyou can't argue with that.

Also the booking form states:
"Every disco we perform is backed up by our no quibble, no backtrack, no hidden clauses, 100% money back guarantee.

If you're not thoroughly delighted with our service, for whatever reason, we'll refund your money - all of it.

Let's face it; you've probably gone through enough stress as it is just by organising this function without having to worry about the standard of the DJ's performance as well.

How we perform could very well make the difference between your event being a storming success, or fizzling out like a faulty firework on a rainy night.

Obviously, there are certain things that are impossible to guarantee against...

We can't guarantee that absolutely everyone will love everything we play.
We can't guarantee that everyone will pack the dance floor. Sorry, parties are just not like that. Sometimes folks just want to chat or prop up the bar, and even the world's best DJ wouldn't budge them.

However, we can guarantee that

we will always do our utmost to create the best possible atmosphere for you and your guests
We will always act in a friendly and professional manner.
We will approach every function with 100% enthusiasm.

You can't get much more reassuring than that.

We would only ask one small favour...
If, during our performance, there is something you're not happy with, just let us know and give us a chance to put it right.
Apart from that small thing, if you aren’t happy, we don't deserve your money."

ian8limelight
06-07-2006, 07:28 PM
I can see where you're coming from, and commend you for doing it, but I would suggest you don't for the same reasons that have already been pointed out.

Candybeatdiscos
06-07-2006, 07:29 PM
I don't think i will ever need to give people thier money back... and i think its a brilliant selling tool.

Fresh
06-07-2006, 07:46 PM
go for it then

Candybeatdiscos
06-07-2006, 08:20 PM
it seems to be working so far - mind you just trying to work out the best way to let people know i am on the scene - at the moment only have a resident karaoke at local pub

Shaun
06-07-2006, 08:33 PM
Like many businesses you need something that helps you stand out from the crowd, i mean if we were all to go into a room and the customer was to come and ask ok why should i choose you to provide my entertainment...we would all shout that we had the best equiptment, the most music, we had loads of experiance etc - there is nothing to set us apart from the rest

I know of some U.S companies that offer a money back guarantee....but they only guarantee their standards

For instance....

1. they'll be set-up and ready to start on time.
2. they'll have all pre-requested songs on the night.
3. they'll be dressed appropriately.
4. They'll be courteous and professional throughout.

etc etc...

If you operate a blanket statement that you'll provide them with a full refund if they don't have "fun" then your opening yourself up to trouble at some point (in my opinion)

Fun is 'subjective' What's fun to one person might not be to the other. You may have a full dancefloor and happy guests but all it needs is the person that's paying to say "I didn't enjoy myself" then you go home with no pay.

Guaruntee your standards..

Just my thoughts my friend :)

Candybeatdiscos
06-07-2006, 08:34 PM
yeah better idea i think

cheers

Shaun
06-07-2006, 08:43 PM
I found an example of a standards gurantee used by a dj company.

* I do not hire DJs, so you will not be sent a less experienced entertainer that you have never met. From our first contact to your last dance, you deal with only with me.
* I will not transfer or sell off your wedding to another DJ company.
* I will be set up at the specified time, and start on time.
* I only use professional equipment.
* I will be dressed smartly in a suit, unless you request otherwise.
* You will have all of your details confirmed in writing.
* I do not drink alcohol or smoke.
* You will be in control of the volume.

Just an example of the kind of things others offer. Hopefully it'll be of some help to you.

Candybeatdiscos
06-07-2006, 08:49 PM
website and terms changed - cheers

Shaun
06-07-2006, 08:51 PM
Your'e welcome. Glad it helped.

Candybeatdiscos
06-07-2006, 08:52 PM
it has shaun cheers

CRAZY K
06-07-2006, 09:04 PM
Personally I think your not being sensible--your almost suggesting that something MIGHT go wrong with your show.

If you get paid after the gig like I do (apart from a Booking fee in advance) then if the performance is not to the satisfaction of the client there is a problem irrespective of your terms and conditions--always remembering to take digital photos of the gig as evidence in your County Court summons for non payment :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

To the magistrate or official of the Court---Do these people look like they are enjoying themselves or what ? :)

If you need to pick up business there are other ways of being different---
offering to hand back money at the whim of the customer as Daz says is asking for trouble, its so easy--spoke to a fellow DJ this week who was asked for a track by the Ramones first dance at a Wedding--turns out they have recorded two different versions and he got the wrong one--boom boom :sad: 100 percent refund :sad:

Usual suspects-Granny at the front of the hall by the big speakers says--its too loud!
boom boom :sad: 100 per cent refund-I could go on --I wont!

This is a very slippery slope--I would get off it personally---but its your business so in the words of Ol Blue eyes--I did it my way!

Remember the only things guaranteed in Life are taxes and death--plus England not winning the World Cup again of course!

CRAZY K

Candybeatdiscos
06-07-2006, 09:09 PM
by offering the guarantee i feel that its not saying things will go wrong, its saying i am so certain that things wont go wrong that i am willing to stake my wages on it...

regarding the rest - granny sitting too close to speakers is something i can resolve apart from asking her to move seats - it states in the guarantee that i gaurantee enthusiam etc

Candybeatdiscos
06-07-2006, 09:18 PM
just had the following email from Darren at Bigmix entertainment who i have based my company on slightly -

I've never had anyone ask for a refund or even attempt to get their money back.

I make it very clear that we can't guarantee a full dance floor or that everyone will enjoy themselves, we can only do so much and if someone is determined to not have a good time, even the best DJ in the world can't alter that.

Also, I make it very clear that they just can't come up to us at the end of the night and say it was crap, they have to make it known to us during the evening that they don't feel we're doing all we can to perform which gives us a chance to put things right.

Solitaire Events Ltd
06-07-2006, 09:21 PM
just had the following email from Darren at Bigmix entertainment who i have based my company on slightly -

Is Darren the blind DJ, who recently did a DJ-a-thon type thing (or is going to do it)

Candybeatdiscos
06-07-2006, 09:22 PM
pass i do not know - his site is www.bigmixentertainment.co.uk

Solitaire Events Ltd
06-07-2006, 09:25 PM
pass i do not know - his site is www.bigmixentertainment.co.uk

Yup, the same chap.

Paul James Promotions
06-07-2006, 10:04 PM
I don't really see why customers would choose you because you offer a money back guarantee. Just my opinion :D