PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Charger/Adaptor Toshiba Laptop

Megamix
09-06-2010, 12:27 PM
Can anyone recommend a good source/supplier of supply for a replacement charger please? - trying to help out a relative.
She bought a very cheap one on ebay - no good and then Currys sold her an igo adaptor which works when it feels like it - (and it doesn’t feel like it very often)
The prices tend to be about £18-30 everywhere - but I'm more concerned in getting a compatible one that actually works this time.
TIA

(TOSHIBA SATELLITE PRO L300)

CRAZY K
09-06-2010, 01:19 PM
Can anyone recommend a good source/supplier of supply for a replacement charger please? - trying to help out a relative.
She bought a very cheap one on ebay - no good and then Currys sold her an igo adaptor which works when it feels like it - (and it doesn’t feel like it very often)
The prices tend to be about £18-30 everywhere - but I'm more concerned in getting a compatible one that actually works this time.
TIA

(TOSHIBA SATELLITE PRO L300)

Doing better than me--my Tosh Sattelite has just died on me after 18 months:eek:

May I suggest get a proper replacement, dont bother with e bay or even pattern parts ( copies of original ) tried that waste of money.

The real thing will cost more ---thinks-- a no brainer smilie needed again ;)

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-06-2010, 01:24 PM
I have a couple of generic chargers for laptops and they've been fine. I'm not sure why original parts would be better in this case though?

I bought one on Ebay and another from http://www.laptopbits.co.uk/ or somewhere similar and haven't had any issues.

Megamix
09-06-2010, 01:31 PM
I have a couple of generic chargers for laptops and they've been fine. I'm not sure why original parts would be better in this case though?

Yes I'm sure there are some good ones about (but all made in Taiwan it seems) - and as Crazy Ks original (laptop/charger?) lasted 18 months (a bit longer than the owner of this one's did) you have to wonder if original parts are any better in this case. :confused:

Charlie Brown
09-06-2010, 01:38 PM
Be-careful,

I've brought a few generic charges and they haven't worked. PC world, eBay, John Lewis.

It's because my laptop uses a lot of power - they can't handle it.

eBay do some good deals. Make sure you buy from the UK and they're original.

Marc J
09-06-2010, 01:40 PM
I've used http://www.laptopsandspares.com/ before without any problems, and that was for a very power hungry Acer laptop which nothing else would power.

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-06-2010, 01:49 PM
Be-careful,

I've brought a few generic charges and they haven't worked. PC world, eBay, John Lewis.

It's because my laptop uses a lot of power - they can't handle it.

If you buy a charger that isn't specifically for your laptop, then it probably wouldn't handle it. If you get a replacement charger specifically for your laptop, original parts or not, you shouldn't have a problem.

Megamix
09-06-2010, 02:17 PM
thanks folks - gone for http://www.laptopsandspares -£30 ish - the sort of option I was looking for - I guess just a bit more peace of mind!

Charlie Brown
09-06-2010, 02:28 PM
My HP charger must have broke - 5 times now?

Excalibur
09-06-2010, 04:04 PM
If you buy a charger that isn't specifically for your laptop, then it probably wouldn't handle it. If you get a replacement charger specifically for your laptop, original parts or not, you shouldn't have a problem.

If you've got a 100watt power requirement for your laptop, then it's no good buying a 50 watt power supply.

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-06-2010, 04:19 PM
If you've got a 100watt power requirement for your laptop, then it's no good buying a 50 watt power supply.

Er, yes, that is what I said. :bang:

Excalibur
09-06-2010, 04:46 PM

Er, yes, that is what I said. :bang:

Err, no it wasn't. It may have been what you meant, but it wasn't what you said.
I see no mention of power requirements in your post. Granted, the phrase " specifically for " could be deemed to imply that, but I wouldn't have said it followed as a result. Grey area, I feel. Splitting hairs ( even though I've got naff all to spare. :( :( ) I'd totally accept.

It is of course possible to buy power supplies which are supplied with adaptors enabling them to be used with many different makes and models. The most important specification in this case would be to buy one with a suitably large enough output for the machine in question.

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-06-2010, 04:57 PM
Err, no it wasn't. It may have been what you meant, but it wasn't what you said.
I see no mention of power requirements in your post. Granted, the phrase " specifically for " could be deemed to imply that, but I wouldn't have said it followed as a result. Grey area, I feel. Splitting hairs ( even though I've got naff all to spare. :( :( ) I'd totally accept.

It is of course possible to buy power supplies which are supplied with adaptors enabling them to be used with many different makes and models. The most important specification in this case would be to buy one with a suitably large enough output for the machine in question.

Which is what I meant by getting one specifically for your laptop

DazzyD
10-06-2010, 01:43 PM
We got my step-daughter a power supply with the interchangeable connectors as Peter mentioned above. There are some good ones and bad ones out there, though. The first one we got lasted about a fortnight before the cable broke (just normal use as well :eek: ) but the replacement we got (a different model after a refund) worked well.

When I had a Dell I bought a Dell-branded replacement and it cost £60 only to find out that it wasn't the power supply that had failed but the actual power socket had come loose off the motherboard. PC World said I'd need a new motherboard but it'd be simpler buying a new laptop (cue Toshiba!).

Marc J
10-06-2010, 01:58 PM
it wasn't the power supply that had failed but the actual power socket had come loose off the motherboard.

This is the single most common fault on laptops. Pushing in too hard, or tilting upwards / sideways while it's inserted....not a good idea :eek:

Vectis
10-06-2010, 02:16 PM
This is the single most common fault on laptops. Pushing in too hard, or tilting upwards / sideways while it's inserted....not a good idea :eek:

Another very good reason to choose Mac :) MagSafe rocks :D

DazzyD
10-06-2010, 09:57 PM

I know that now. Only wish I did before I parted with the £60 for a new power supply! :( I thought it was the power cable as if you wiggled it a little it seemed to work. Now I know that was just because the actual socket was temporarily making a contact with the motherboard and wiggling the cable was actually making things worse.

I think the problem with me was the way I sat with a laptop on my knees. I've got quite longs legs so my when I sit my knees are usually higher than the tops of my legs so this caused my knees to push up on the power cable if you can picture what I mean.

The Acer gets quite hot when it's working so I wouldn't even consider using that on my legs!

DazzyD
10-06-2010, 09:59 PM
Another very good reason to choose Mac :) MagSafe rocks :D

I often wonder if Steve Jobs rewards you for all the Mac promotion work you do, Martin! ;)

Vectis
10-06-2010, 10:12 PM
The Acer gets quite hot when it's working so I wouldn't even consider using that on my legs!

Another reason for getting a Mac :)

I often wonder if Steve Jobs rewards you for all the Mac promotion work you do, Martin! ;)

Yeah, right.... :fp:

Jiggles
10-06-2010, 10:17 PM
haha PSU on a mac if it goes its a nice bill for £70 for a new one! >.<

Vectis
10-06-2010, 10:52 PM
haha PSU on a mac if it goes its a nice bill for £70 for a new one! >.<

Not so. From £49 (http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MC461B/A?fnode=MTY1NDEwMQ&mco=MTMzODAwMDI) to £59 (http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MC556B/A?fnode=MTY1NDEwMQ&mco=MTc0NzA0MjY) will cover the vast majority of models and that's at Apple Store prices.... Pretty comparable to most notebooks PSUs. Except they don't weigh a ton or neatly fill a hole the size of a breezeblock :D

Jiggles
10-06-2010, 11:01 PM
Not so. From £49 (http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MC461B/A?fnode=MTY1NDEwMQ&mco=MTMzODAwMDI) to £59 (http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MC556B/A?fnode=MTY1NDEwMQ&mco=MTc0NzA0MjY) will cover the vast majority of models and that's at Apple Store prices.... Pretty comparable to most notebooks PSUs. Except they don't weigh a ton or neatly fill a hole the size of a breezeblock :D

Must of came down in price! My last one cost me £70. :bang: