PDA

View Full Version : Health & Safety

Corabar Entertainment
07-07-2006, 04:50 PM
Going on from a couple of things which have been said recently, what Health & Safety precautions do you take?

Obviously, most of us do the equipment inspection & PAT testing thing, but what about things like working hours without breaks? Written risk assessments at every gig? Announcements/notices at gigs? First Aid Kits? Fire Extinguishers? Anything else?

Shaun
07-07-2006, 05:08 PM
Annual PAT test

I carry a first aid kit as well as a CO2 fire extinguisher to all events. I do an inspection (walk through) of the event to check on fire exits, I also try to find out the venue procedures in the event of an emergency.

I've never made announcements with regards to safety (I'd be interested to hear what announcements you make if you do this)

Working over 6 hours is rare in my area so no need to stop for breaks.

Thames Valley Discos
07-07-2006, 05:32 PM
Martindale,RCD,LED sign for any announcements,Fire extinguisher in trailer, visual inspection of plugs and access to fire doors etc. Oh and PAT test gear!
Oh and regular fag breaks!

Jiggles
07-07-2006, 05:36 PM
Oh and regular fag breaks!

Tut Tut this thread is about Health & Safety. :teeth:

Thames Valley Discos
07-07-2006, 05:41 PM
yeah i know! if i dont have a fag break i might kill someone, now that is HEALTH and SAFETY!

Jiggles
07-07-2006, 05:43 PM
Then we shall put you in to a strate jacket!!!! :teeth:

ian8limelight
07-07-2006, 06:10 PM
I acquaint myself with the Fire Exits and speak to the function staff about Fire evacuation points. I carry out a Risk Assessment on arrival at any new/current venue (including the above) and talk to their staff about any safety issues that I may have (this has, in the past, included inspection of their PLI insurance).

As far as announcements are concerned, I will certainly advise the guests (I would have previously discussed this with Bride & groom, Function organiser, Venue staff) not to drink or smoke on the dance floor area.

In my opinion, this is one of the most common areas of injury plus I don't want drink all over my equipment when they get too close with their glass/bottle. I'm not being a 'party pooper' with this one but I have seen it go badly wrong on a couple of ocaasions and I have learnt from my experiences.

Other announcements may also include the location of the toilets and where smoking is permitted (if required).

Have a disco
07-07-2006, 07:49 PM
Are not the premises owner meant to do a risk assesment with you at every attendance, you are supposed to check each others lists etc etc and walk around assessing possible problems together

Have yet to meet anyone wanting to do this in 22 years of DJing. I carry a fire extinguisher. the premises can and should carry a first aid kit and first aider should be on site at all premises I am a qualified first aider but Know where the first aid kit at most venues is.

Warning signs dont make me laugh no warnings required its a disco

I announce before they hire that I use strobe rarely and smoke is non toxic and bubbles are water based and used as required... and that liability is covered should the worst happen.. which 99.99999999% ''more a chance they drunkenly fall arse over :Censored::Censored::Censored: without any of the before'' hells chance.

Even my Laser is only a class 3b which dont require any warning signs as it is a diode based laser and would not blind even a bat.

This is why I have PLI as to back up the basic checks I do before a disco, and ensure all is safe before I start even playing. Im still awaiting the plebb from hell to do something completely stupid, but to this date 22yrs down the road has (fingers crossed) never happened.....!!! as ever its all getting to daft with EU rubbish making us record wether we can breath or not

Corabar Steve
08-07-2006, 01:55 AM
Fire extinguisher in trailer,
In case your trailer catches fire???? Not much good in the trailer :teeth:

Thames Valley Discos
08-07-2006, 08:20 AM
Is if my trailer catches fire. Venue should by law have fire extinguishers

Candybeatdiscos
08-07-2006, 08:50 AM
ooops, i never actually ever given H&S a thought...ok so general consensus of what i should do/have is....

Fire extingusher
Note fire exits (is it up to the DJ to announce these?)
Carry out a risk Assessment....is that our job? surley we are responsible for DJ booth/stage area only

Corabar Steve
08-07-2006, 08:52 AM
Is if my trailer catches fire. Venue should by law have fire extinguishers
& if you don't know where they are? Or your kit goes up? Or if it's in a marquee? haven't see many fire extinguishers in marquees & 9 times out of 10 they've got candles on the tables

Corabar Steve
08-07-2006, 09:21 AM
Swiped this off a post on DJU (http://www.warninglabelgenerator.com/), thought it migh help with some of the points in this thread.

Thames Valley Discos
08-07-2006, 09:43 AM
But my gear is insured. If a candle provided by the hirer catches the marque on fire, then i will claim off them. It kind of gets to how far do you go to take precautions. Next we will hire a medic and fire engine for the night just incase.
All venues carry their own insurance. If my equipment is PAT tested, covered by PLI, then i really feel i have done my part. If it catches fire then thats when i make use of this money i spend each year on insurance and PLI. This whole what if, just becomes too far reaching these days.
Do we insist on every person at the venue signing a disclaimer that they accept full responsibillity for being drunk and stupid?
Do we hang warning signs instead of lights. Do all DJ,s that use goalpost sytems know if they are CE approved.(the answer is all these far east brands do not). We could go on. Most H and S is commond sense.

Corabar Steve
08-07-2006, 10:00 AM
So, your kit goes up in smoke in a marquee with say 250 people in there, you don't have a fire extinguisher with you (but it's ok there's one in the trailer, which happens to be the only one on site). By the time you get out get it & get back the marquee is a pile of smoldering ashes with 2 corpses. What's your PLI going to do then?

I realise that this is an extreme scenario, but if you have one why not keep it with you?

Candybeatdiscos
08-07-2006, 10:08 AM
i agree that the fire extingusher if you have one should be kept near you, not in the trailer - i also see the point that we need to watch that we aren't going overboard...
would i be right in thinking that at the minimum you should have:

1. Fire Extingusher (Electrical Based)
2. PLI
3. PAT
4. A Standard First Aid Kit (For yourself & your Staff)

Surley that would suffice

Thames Valley Discos
08-07-2006, 10:08 AM
So really you need a large one, as these small car type would just about extinguish my fag. The venue, marquee or other have the duty to abide by health and safety themselves. They should provide fire exits(signed),Fire extinguishers(labeled),Insurance etc.
Have you ever been pushed into a tight corner blocking access for both yourself and guests? I,m sure we have all been in poor locations before, and i,m sure we have all just accepted it and done the job. But this is itself breaking H and S.
No matter what you do to cover yourself, a good lawyer will always be able to prove you broke some H and S law. Common sense needed. In my opinion this H and S is just beyond a joke!

Thames Valley Discos
08-07-2006, 10:11 AM
i agree that the fire extingusher if you have one should be kept near you, not in the trailer - i also see the point that we need to watch that we aren't going overboard...
would i be right in thinking that at the minimum you should have:

1. Fire Extingusher (Electrical Based)
2. PLI
3. PAT
4. A Standard First Aid Kit (For yourself & your Staff)

Surley that would suffice
And be qualified to use them. First aid trained,Fire safety trained,Warning signs,cable matts to cover cables. CE approved light rigs.(that means all the giraffe,etc gear stays in shed!) RCD,Martindale,Wet floor signs, access to isolation switch at venue for mains etc

Corabar Steve
08-07-2006, 10:11 AM
Is it a big one then Paul? (if you pardon the expression) A car CO2 extinguisher would suffice if an item of your kit went up, electrical fires tend not to start off very big.

Thames Valley Discos
08-07-2006, 10:15 AM
Is it a big one then Paul? (if you pardon the expression) A car CO2 extinguisher would suffice if an item of your kit went up, electrical fires tend not to start off very big.
What if the marquee has a curtain next to your gear,or a ladies dress catches fire,or a cable burns etc. Would this car extinguisher be upto it, I doubt it. If you need a fire extinguisher take the Large type so as to fire fight the venue, just incase
No mine is a small one(Sorry ladies). Great for fire fighting my trailer.

Candybeatdiscos
08-07-2006, 10:17 AM
I always tape my cables to the floor, out the way, and feel that my duty only extends to my staff & myself, the venue has a duty to ensure everyone has adequate H&S risks assesed. Also I need to ensure that lights, speakers etc are secure and wont fall on someones head, so as long as i have the aforementioned stuff then everything should be ok. We already have the smoking ban in place so the only real liklihood of fire within the area of responsibility would be an electrical one so as long as i do not use a water based fire extingusher then everything should be covered on my end

Thames Valley Discos
08-07-2006, 10:19 AM
Think you will find that taping cables will break a european H and S act. What if cable peels up,what if you mark the floor etc You need a platic cable matt designed to have trailing cables across the floor

Corabar Steve
08-07-2006, 10:20 AM
What if the marquee has a curtain next to your gear,or a ladies dress catches fire,or a cable burns etc.
Hopefully you would notice it beore the curtain caught or cable started acting like a fuse. What was the lady in the dress doing on your equipment anyway??

Thames Valley Discos
08-07-2006, 10:21 AM
Hopefully you would notice it beore the curtain caught or cable started acting like a fuse. What was the lady in the dress doing on your equipment anyway??
Leaning over my gear with a fag and drink, asking for" relight my fire".
As for the curtain, i was in the toilet, thought i could smell something

Candybeatdiscos
08-07-2006, 10:22 AM
If you need a fire extinguisher take the Large type so as to fire fight the venue, just incase

I cannot agree to this one, i pay insuurance etc on my own gear - why should i need to take adequate fire extingushers for the venue??? Its up to them to provide that...

They have thier own H&S risk assessments etc, by all means if i am the hirer of the marquee etc then yes i would then take that precaution, but if i am hired to entertain then i will only ensure that my area is covered - does that sound selfish?

Thames Valley Discos
08-07-2006, 10:23 AM
I cannot agree to this one, i pay insuurance etc on my own gear - why should i need to take adequate fire extingushers for the venue??? Its up to them to provide that...

They have thier own H&S risk assessments etc, by all means if i am the hirer of the marquee etc then yes i would then take that precaution, but if i am hired to entertain then i will only ensure that my area is covered - does that sound selfish?
I,m taliking tongue in cheek!

Candybeatdiscos
08-07-2006, 10:24 AM
oh lol

Corabar Steve
08-07-2006, 10:26 AM
& I've been playing Devil's advocate

Thames Valley Discos
08-07-2006, 10:36 AM
Would we be liable if while dancing a person twisted their ankle that prevented them from working. After all we encouraged them to dance?
OK I,LL GET MY COAT!

Corabar Steve
08-07-2006, 10:39 AM
Strictly speaking, as long as you haven't said something along the lines of get up & strut your stuff or somesuch then playing music is not encouragement to dance :teeth:

Thames Valley Discos
08-07-2006, 10:42 AM
Thats my excuse too and i,m sticking to it. At the end of the night when no one has danced, i,m just telling the client that the music was played to new EU H and S. i.e to prevent serious injury to your guests. LOL :)

Candybeatdiscos
08-07-2006, 10:43 AM
Strictly speaking, as long as you haven't said something along the lines of get up & strut your stuff or somesuch then playing music is not encouragement to dance :teeth:

so we should refrain from saying "playing the very best from the 60's to modern day, wanna see ya up on the dancefloor at some point - taking you away with good ol abba & dancing queen"

Thames Valley Discos
08-07-2006, 10:45 AM
so we should refrain from saying "playing the very best from the 60's to modern day, wanna see ya up on the dancefloor at some point - taking you away with good ol abba & dancing queen"
I think there should be a seperate law covering speaches like that!

Candybeatdiscos
08-07-2006, 10:54 AM
lol....

Solitaire Events Ltd
08-07-2006, 12:47 PM
What a strange old subject....

I make my gear as safe as possible with surge protectors and RCDs. I don't set up in front of doorways or emergency exits. My cables are out of sight, and either stuck down or I use velcro ties.

My goalpost is CE approved.

If kids get near the stuff, then I ask them or their parents to move them away.

I don't carry a fire extinguisher or a first aid kit though....what a load of ********..

Common sense prevails.

Thames Valley Discos
08-07-2006, 12:52 PM
What a strange old subject....

I make my gear as safe as possible with surge protectors and RCDs. I don't set up in front of doorways or emergency exits. My cables are out of sight, and either stuck down or I use velcro ties.

My goalpost is CE approved.

If kids get near the stuff, then I ask them or their parents to move them away.

I don't carry a fire extinguisher or a first aid kit though....what a load of ********..

Common sense prevails.
My thoughts too. Total tosh