PDA

View Full Version : Skype advice please ?

Totally Plucked
14-06-2010, 01:44 PM
Ok, since the demise of Tesco internet phone (voip service) I find myself in need of a replacement voip service without massive outlay, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I previously had a Tesco internet adapter that plugged into a usb port and had its own power supply, and then i plugged a cheap cordless handset into the other port on the adapter.

This method did not need the pc to be turned on to make or recieve calls

Therefore I'm looking for a similar replacement service that can be used with the pc turned off (Skype or similar)
If anyone has any suggestions or experiences to share, i will be more than grateful :) :)

Thanks as always ! :D

Vectis
14-06-2010, 02:37 PM
Vonage. Absolutely rock solid and suitable for business use.

Cheapest package is £5.99 a month including a call bundle and IF YOU SUBSCRIBE VIA QUIDCO YOU CAN GET £60 CASHBACK.

With a minimum 12 month contract, that's 12 months for a shade under £12 if you think about it...

nisfo
14-06-2010, 06:29 PM
I use sipgate, with a Linksys Pap2 box, gives your internet connection 2 phone lines, and your it is separate from your PC. It's a PAYG line, but you can receive without toping up.

Caller display and view your calls for free. Best of all you can choose from a list of numbers. look them up ;)

www.sipgate.co.uk

mikeee
14-06-2010, 06:49 PM
I've got Skype free of charge on my mobile.

Rowleys
14-06-2010, 07:01 PM
all i can say is Vonage :D

i use then and also use the call dirvet to my mobile so the house phone rings and my mobile does at the same time .. but when it sent to my mobile i py 12p a min

hope this helps