PDA

View Full Version : Haze vs Fogger

+Scooby+
08-07-2006, 02:21 PM
We use Jem ZR12 – AL smoke machines primarily for teenage style gigs, will these machines accept haze as opposed to smoke fluid or are the fundamental workings of the machines different. :lightbulb

Solitaire Events Ltd
08-07-2006, 02:38 PM
I could be completely wrong - but I'm sure I read somewhere that haze fluid is just a bit more watered down?

Don't take my word for that though!

abyssdjhire
08-07-2006, 03:00 PM
dont mix them... depending on the machine itself its not ALWAYS the same type of fluid. better to be safe than sorry - if you want haze, buy a hazer.

most of the time they function on the same basic principle, but thats MOST of the time. its best not to take the risk

+Scooby+
08-07-2006, 03:10 PM
dont mix them... depending on the machine itself its not ALWAYS the same type of fluid. better to be safe than sorry - if you want haze, buy a hazer.

most of the time they function on the same basic principle, but thats MOST of the time. its best not to take the risk

The reason for the post is that we never use the Jems in hotels because of the detector problem but there are quite a few local hotels that will allow haze machines.

We have a number of laser lights and obviously they are wasted without some form of enhancement. :sad:

abyssdjhire
08-07-2006, 03:25 PM
best thing to do would be find a cheap but reliable hazer... you could mess about with desk fans as has been done in the past (lol) but its not really worth it and looks crap anyway...

the way hazers heat and disperse the fluid is usually quite different in a proper hazer.

Ricesnaps
08-07-2006, 11:53 PM
Try the Antari Vivid Hazer:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=46634&criteria=Smoke%20and%20Bubble%20Machines&doy=9m7
(excuse the link, quickest place to find a picture!)

Just changed to one of these about a month ago from a fogger and the difference is huge. Now we never get any complaints about smoke, none of the usual coffing and the spread is superb - Officers mess at RAF honington last night (the only gig so far where we have set up AND pack up in daylight, but on two different days!) it woked a treat, and at that price....

By the way, a carefully placed and hidden fan is actually very effective with a standard fogger, but generally we found that while the dispersal of the fog was much improved and you did away with the thick burst of fog you get, it really didn't seem to thin it out all that much and didn't help with fire alarms.

Haze is the way to go!

Corabar Entertainment
08-07-2006, 11:57 PM
I have asked this before I know, but the response previously was negative, so I am wondering about your experiences Matt: are you finding that venues who did not allow smoke machines are allowing you to use a hazer?

Ricesnaps
09-07-2006, 12:11 AM
I have asked this before I know, but the response previously was negative, so I am wondering about your experiences Matt: are you finding that venues who did not allow smoke machines are allowing you to use a hazer?
Honest answer is that personally I haven't found many venues that have a problem with smoke in general. There are one or two who specifically say no smoke and generally these days I ask the venue and the client if they are OK with it. To that end, using the Fazer has made life a lot easier. You can explain the benefits of haze and it genuinely it is a nicer product to use.

But to answer your question, I personally don't think I've seen much difference - I'm certainly not finding that lots of venues are saying no to smoke or saying yes but only to a haze machine. But I'm sure it's not the same all over the UK

Fresh
10-07-2006, 09:13 AM
has anyone ever set off a fire alarm with a smoke machine (if used sensibly), i never have to date (setting wheels in motion for future problems now)

abyssdjhire
10-07-2006, 11:41 AM
nope, we havent, fresh. the guy stood smoking underneath the sensor did though

Paul James Promotions
10-07-2006, 11:45 AM
has anyone ever set off a fire alarm with a smoke machine (if used sensibly), i never have to date (setting wheels in motion for future problems now)

Once :embarasse

Unfortunately it was 3000 people, who were then evacuated :omg:

+Scooby+
10-07-2006, 11:49 AM

I have in a school.

South Gloucestershire wont permit smoke machines or hazers on any of there premises as of Jan 2006.

Have a disco
10-07-2006, 01:53 PM
only finding places with very old sensors still setting themselves off at silly times or the ultra new ones that are about that go off even if it just gets warm ?? but most other places I never seem to get any hassle

pulsemobiledisco
10-07-2006, 09:11 PM
[QUOTE=Fresh]has anyone ever set off a fire alarm with a smoke machine (if used sensibly), i never have to date (setting wheels in motion for future problems now)[/QUOTE

Yes, once. And it was tipping it down, which went down well with the punters!

I also uses the Vivvid Hazer as shown earlier in the thread. I thought I had the timer set just right, but must have been a bit too much for that venue. I have been back several times since and they have now banned the use of smoke/haze machines.