PDA

View Full Version : Mackie SRM1801 18" Powered Subwoofer

DJ Tony McQue
29-06-2010, 02:14 PM
Has anyone heard one of these bad boys in action? A 500 watt Mackie sub for £559 seems a bit cheap but I won't be complaining if it is any good.

http://www.mackie.com/products/srm1801/

A1DL
29-06-2010, 02:29 PM
hhmmmm 124dB/1m... as 18" subs go that ain't great, is it? I see the manufacturer talks of "intense LF extension" and goes on about "powerful chest tumping lows". :confused:

Boom shake shake the room? No, I think not.

DJ Tony McQue
29-06-2010, 02:46 PM
hhmmmm 124dB/1m... as 18" subs go that ain't great, is it? I see the manufacturer talks of "intense LF extension" and goes on about "powerful chest tumping lows". :confused:

Boom shake shake the room? No, I think not.

The marketing spiel sounds like it was written by an exciteable teenager. I think I am going to have to hear one in action before purchasing. Although I have a bad habit of buying stuff and then just selling it if I don't like it, I wouldn't like to try sending a sub through the mail..

Vectis
29-06-2010, 03:03 PM
There are lots of tales of woe on this very forum about the 15" version the ?1501?

If they're based on the same design (which it sounds like they might be given the model number) I'd do some searching to turn up the old threads before parting with any cash.

You could start here (http://www.forum.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16890&highlight=SWA1501) but there are plenty more

Leicester Ben
29-06-2010, 03:06 PM
I have had the 1501's for the last 5 years or so and before that they were Jeff Woods, they are goos subs. Heavy but for larger gigs they have never let me down!

leelive
29-06-2010, 03:17 PM
Mackie informed me that they are just a rebadged version of the Thump TH-18.

NKR
29-06-2010, 05:55 PM
I have had the 1501's for the last 5 years or so and before that they were Jeff Woods, they are goos subs. Heavy but for larger gigs they have never let me down!

I have 1801s and despite one being out of action waiting a new fuse carrier (the fuse carriers are rubbish) they are fab. Running off just one at present and it is suffice for most rooms where we use bass, which isn't always.

I must add I have SWA1801's not SRM1801.

paulg
30-06-2010, 11:59 AM
Hi

I'm taking delivery of an HK Audio XBA18 in 2weeks. It offers much higher SPL's than the mackie and is direct radiating - it's a a fair few quid more though but you would almost certainly get away with one rather than a pair If you can wait, I'll gladly give you the lowdown on it for comparison.

DJ Tony McQue
30-06-2010, 01:35 PM
Hi

I'm taking delivery of an HK Audio XBA18 in 2weeks. It offers much higher SPL's than the mackie and is direct radiating - it's a a fair few quid more though but you would almost certainly get away with one rather than a pair If you can wait, I'll gladly give you the lowdown on it for comparison.

Probably a bit out of my price range just now but please do report back on how you find it. The other sub I have my eye on is this:

http://www.decks.co.uk/products/db_technologies/SUB15_D

Vectis
30-06-2010, 01:43 PM
Probably a bit out of my price range just now but please do report back on how you find it. The other sub I have my eye on is this:

Now for the money that is a very respectable piece of kit.

Big thumbs up here and you'll no doubt get a few more saying the same.

As well as the "spend a couple more quid and get the RCF" brigade who'll be along shortly... :p

Shaun
30-06-2010, 02:21 PM
I've heard a lot of good feedback on the db tech' subs.

I spent a couple of more quid and got the RCF subs. (there you go Martin, I didn't want to let you down. :D)

Dynamic Entertainment
30-06-2010, 03:14 PM
Whilst not that DB sub, i have used one before (one of the old 3 stack systems, cant mind the name of it). Suffice to say, i actually placed an order with HTFR for said sysyem...and it was out of stock and being discontinued.

If the sub i used is anything to go by, the new one will be a cracker :)

Mark Wild
30-06-2010, 03:37 PM
I use the non-digital DB Sub 15 (just 1) and it's been a God send tbh, I'd highly recommend them (in that price range anyway.)

Excalibur
30-06-2010, 05:51 PM
Now for the money that is a very respectable piece of kit.

Big thumbs up here and you'll no doubt get a few more saying the same.

As well as the "spend a couple more quid and get the RCF" brigade who'll be along shortly... :p

And don't forget the " Spend hundreds of pounds less, and ring Mansfield " brigade. :Naughty: :D :D :D :D :D

paulg
01-07-2010, 11:53 AM

Certainly will review the HK sub, no problem. I had a pair of the Db Technologies sub15D's and hated them from the day I bought them to the day I sold them. If I were you, I'd try to get a very rigorous demo of them before buying (I didn't, Doh!). For me, the band pass design means they just don't move enough air in the right direction to be taken seriously as subs for a DJ. The bass output seems to be concentrated in a very specific zone infront of the subs. Some say that's a good thing because it means the dance floor gets the bass but the rest of a room has lower levels making it comfortable for everyone.

I have never had anyone complement the sound of the DB's (matched with RCF's) whereas with my old HK2000 kit, complements were commonplace. I think that eventually, I'll match the HK subs with powered HK tops and try to get back that lovely warm HK sound. Then there will be a pair of pristine RCF 722A's for sale.

In defence of the Db Subs, they are very light - at a push, you can pick them up with one hand. You can chuck them in the van/car with ease and carry them up stairs.

Mark Wild
01-07-2010, 12:23 PM
Certainly will review the HK sub, no problem. I had a pair of the Db Technologies sub15D's and hated them from the day I bought them to the day I sold them. If I were you, I'd try to get a very rigorous demo of them before buying (I didn't, Doh!). For me, the band pass design means they just don't move enough air in the right direction to be taken seriously as subs for a DJ. The bass output seems to be concentrated in a very specific zone infront of the subs. Some say that's a good thing because it means the dance floor gets the bass but the rest of a room has lower levels making it comfortable for everyone.

I have never had anyone complement the sound of the DB's (matched with RCF's) whereas with my old HK2000 kit, complements were commonplace. I think that eventually, I'll match the HK subs with powered HK tops and try to get back that lovely warm HK sound. Then there will be a pair of pristine RCF 722A's for sale.

In defence of the Db Subs, they are very light - at a push, you can pick them up with one hand. You can chuck them in the van/car with ease and carry them up stairs.

I don't know if the Digital version of the DB Sub 15 is a lot different to the non-digital version, but you seem to be the only person on here that hasn't been happy with the performance of them. Strange that don't you think?

spin mobile disco
01-07-2010, 08:55 PM
Digital actual driver is the same one as the non digital it is really just the power supply that is digital to reduce weight so the response is almost identicle. They claim the digital is louder but having heard both side by side I can hear no difference.
I like the DB it has good sound good power output and is lightweight. Im not saying its better than the rcf but it is more lightweight.

DJ Tony McQue
02-07-2010, 02:08 PM
I use the non-digital DB Sub 15 (just 1) and it's been a God send tbh, I'd highly recommend them (in that price range anyway.)

Mark, do you enable the low pass filter on your Mackies when using the sub? If so, do you find you ar getting more level and does it sound good?

Mark Wild
02-07-2010, 02:25 PM
Mark, do you enable the low pass filter on your Mackies when using the sub? If so, do you find you ar getting more level and does it sound good?

At higher volumes I'll enable it to let the sub do that work, usually at 18th's 21st's that type of event (fear of thermalling out tbh). At weddings I tend not to go overboard with volume anyway, so I don't engage it which gives somewhat richer sound. I take the sub to all gigs now (apart from mad load in ones) no matter the venue size and amount of people, It's just my personal preference with regards to not enjoying working as much without it.

Hope that makes sense :D

WWDJ
02-07-2010, 02:58 PM
i have the high pass set on the mackies when I am using my sub (RCF) as i find they get less toasty that way. TBH I have been holding back on volume recently too apart from the younger parties. I reckon i must be going a bit deaf, so i use my mixer to monitor levels and I set my sub / mackies to the same level each time.

paulg
02-07-2010, 03:20 PM
I don't know if the Digital version of the DB Sub 15 is a lot different to the non-digital version, but you seem to be the only person on here that hasn't been happy with the performance of them. Strange that don't you think?

No, I don't think having a different opinion is strange at all. The Db subs are OK if you pitch output against weight but less good if you pitch cost against output. 133db peak output?...never in a million years.

TONYTIGER
02-07-2010, 03:22 PM
I've heard a lot of good feedback on the db tech' subs.

I spent a couple of more quid and got the RCF subs. (there you go Martin, I didn't want to let you down. :D)

I agree the db 15" 800w has the same power module as the RCF 702 and is very good little bit lighter than the RCF due to Driver.Little bit cheaper i have just sold a pair and was sorry to see them go.

Charlie Brown
20-07-2011, 01:57 PM
Did you end up buying this?

Any good? Any more comments before I buy?

soundmaster mobile disco
20-07-2011, 04:01 PM
I have one of these srm 1801s,i bought it from immages in livingston about 2 months ago.I am well pleased with it.It is very light weight for an 18 inch sub,probably due to the modern digital transformer.

Sound wise it is great,plenty of bass as you would expect.It goes really well with the mackie srm tops.