PDA

View Full Version : New ADJ Comscans

TONYTIGER
29-06-2010, 02:56 PM
Hi i know you all like new toys so you might be interested in the new ADJ Comscans just had a pair come in to the hire shop ,i am very impressed i am not a fan of led dot type of effects but these have proper gobos and they are so small 3.4 kgs for the oldies around 8lbs come as a pair with all leads and a controller bit like CA8 loads of built in shows but the most important bit is before you ask how bright are they? yes they are very bright i would say as good as a ELC 250w and much more vivid colours,also nice touch they have a built in metal cover to protect the mirror in transit.I think these are ideal for mobiles who dont want to lug heavy gear around and want a light weight compact bright effect and fancy trying out leds that do more than dots.will try them out this W/E and will let you know if there as good as they look in the workshop.

Shaun
29-06-2010, 03:27 PM
Please ensure you are posting new topics in the most relevant forum section. Thanks.

[ Moving to Lighting Reviews forum ]

Booche
29-06-2010, 04:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix8W-voBqPE&feature=related

Cheers Dave :)

Get Me A DJ
29-06-2010, 05:07 PM
Steppers are a bit on the ropey side when doing a slow trigger.
Price isn't too bad for what you get in the package.
Nice to see an LED effect with gobos rather then led dots.

Kev

Starlight
29-06-2010, 09:38 PM
Pro: Look's nice and bright, compact enough for mobile disco's. Pretty decent gobo's.
Con's: I didn't see no rotating gobo's in the video which is a shame. Only 13 degree beam dispersion :( The beam movements didn't seem very smooth or is it my internet connection speed?

Overall, these new light's do look quite nice.

How much are they? Is any UK retail outlet retailing them yet?

Thanks for sharing.

Neil.....

flatliners
29-06-2010, 10:18 PM
Pro: Look's nice and bright, compact enough for mobile disco's. Pretty decent gobo's.
Con's: I didn't see no rotating gobo's in the video which is a shame. Only 13 degree beam dispersion :( The beam movements didn't seem very smooth or is it my internet connection speed?

Overall, these new light's do look quite nice.

How much are they? Is any UK retail outlet retailing them yet?

Thanks for sharing.

Neil.....
Another con you missed they don't have separate colour and gobo wheel

Booche
29-06-2010, 10:35 PM
I feel like they are just like any other scanner - same gobo images, colors etc apart from them being LED thats proberley the only difference i can see worthy of these over the like of the dynamo's etc

TONYTIGER
30-06-2010, 06:47 AM
I feel like they are just like any other scanner - same gobo images, colors etc apart from them being LED thats proberley the only difference i can see worthy of these over the like of the dynamo's etc

Yes in operation they are like other scanners ,but the pros are they are so small ,very light in weight, much brighter than ELC 250w based scanners,colours are more vivid,and for the dj that does not want to go down the DMX route and use the controller supplied there is 12 shows to chose from plus they are led so no running cost.Overall a well made simple scanner at a price point that is very keen.
On the subject of scanners you really have to have deep pockets if you want to buy a pro unit,Martins entry level S series are pretty poor there extremes are the real deal but if you want the best Clay Paky by a Mile.

TONYTIGER
30-06-2010, 06:55 AM
Another con you missed they don't have separate colour and gobo wheel

Retail around £ 300 a pair,as for rotating Gobo please tell me were you can get a scanner that has this operation at this price point,Clay Paky,Martin,Robe,all over a grand for one unit.

Starlight
30-06-2010, 10:35 AM
Clay Paky,Martin,Robe,all over a grand for one unit.
Oh my god! :eek: I don't think mobile jocks will go out and spend £1K on a light :lol:

Do the brands (Clay Paky, Martin and Robe) sell LED scanners with the same LED output with rotating gobo's?

These £300 LED scanners, do they have a 20W or 30W LED light source :confused:

Neil..........

rob1963
30-06-2010, 11:28 AM
Oh my god! :eek: I don't think mobile jocks will go out and spend £1K on a light

Really?

I bet there's a few on this forum who would! ;)

Starlight
30-06-2010, 11:44 AM
Really?

Mobile jocks will spend £1K on 1pc scanner?

:shrug:

I know I'd spend £500-£700 on 1pc LED lighting fixture. A little dicky bird tell's me there's going to be a big 60W LED scanner coming out soon :cool:

Neil.

WWDJ
30-06-2010, 12:06 PM

I know I'd spend £500-£700 on 1pc LED lighting fixture. A little dicky bird tell's me there's going to be a big 60W LED scanner coming out soon :cool:

Neil.

Or £500 - £700 on a pair of fixtures ....

These are cheap and cheerful but actually look fairly decent for quick show. I just can't see that they would give my anything that my EFX500 would give me in terms of coverage

Look at the video featuring good ol Brian S Redd. The movement is actually very smooth and you can't say that about dynamos
YouTube- Brian Looks At The Comscan LED System from American DJ

A 60w LED scanner! .. tell us what you know. What features does it have ?

TONYTIGER
30-06-2010, 12:18 PM
Oh my god! :eek: I don't think mobile jocks will go out and spend £1K on a light :lol:

Do the brands (Clay Paky, Martin and Robe) sell LED scanners with the same LED output with rotating gobo's?

Neil..........

Hi in order for big jobs i use 4X Clay Paky mini scans about £ 5000 so idots like me do:eek: The big names have not used led light in there scanners but have introduced in to moving head fixtures if you look at the stage at Glastonbury there was a lot of high end led fixtures. And lastly the led in the comscans wait for it is only 10 w but it produces much higher lumen output than last years 30w leds this is a fast moving technology and in a few years there will not be any normal lamps,i myself do a lot of stage and live band work and use nearly all led other than my movers.Ps if your looking for a cheap scanner with rotating gobos Eurolite do some Chinese ones on Thomann Site.

DazzyD
30-06-2010, 01:12 PM

Neil..........

The Martin Wizard Extreme we use came to us for around a grand. Not a scanner but an effect light all the same!

The scanner's I wanted were about £1,200 each. Can't remember which ones they were but they looked really good!

Starlight
30-06-2010, 03:41 PM
I have to tread carefully here as per the MDD rules.
Soon, there'll be an LED scanner with a single 60W white LED source. Housed in a compact 'mobile disco friendly' housing and they'll have 2 independent gobo and colour wheel's and also they'll have rotating gobos too. They'll be retailing around £499.99 and will be hitting the market in about 2 week's time.

Neil.

WWDJ
30-06-2010, 04:00 PM
Sounds exciting. I like the sound of 'compact' ... I suppose 3 facet prisms are too much to hope for though ... as most of the LED Moving Heads and Scanners seem to have quite a narrow beam angle.

Starlight
30-06-2010, 04:04 PM
Sounds exciting. I like the sound of 'compact' ... I suppose 3 facet prisms are too much to hope for though ... as most of the LED Moving Heads and Scanners seem to have quite a narrow beam angle.
Yeah, that's the only drawback on the soon to be released 60W LED scanners, though I suppose it's another idea we can closely look at for future projects ;) :)

Neil.

Excalibur
30-06-2010, 07:59 PM
Really?

Oh yuss. Not me though. ;)

I have to tread carefully here as per the MDD rules.
Soon, there'll be an LED scanner with a single 60W white LED source. Housed in a compact 'mobile disco friendly' housing and they'll have 2 independent gobo and colour wheel's and also they'll have rotating gobos too. They'll be retailing around £499.99 and will be hitting the market in about 2 week's time.

Neil.
When that figure is £49.99, put me down for a couple.

Starlight
30-06-2010, 09:16 PM
Oh yuss. Not me though. ;)

When that figure is £49.99, put me down for a couple.
That'll get you just the rotating gobo mechanism, gobo wheel and colour wheel :lol: But we're thinking of having a Mobile Disco Directory special deal ;)

Neil.....

flatliners
30-06-2010, 11:45 PM

Neil.

keep up man these have been out for a while http://www.theaudioworksuk.com/index.php/chavet-q-spot-260-60w-led-moving-head.html

TONYTIGER
01-07-2010, 09:04 PM
Or £500 - £700 on a pair of fixtures ....

These are cheap and cheerful but actually look fairly decent for quick show. I just can't see that they would give my anything that my EFX500 would give me in terms of coverage

Look at the video featuring good ol Brian S Redd. The movement is actually very smooth and you can't say that about dynamos
YouTube- Brian Looks At The Comscan LED System from American DJ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBfWZbEbwHQ)

Comparing them with a Martin EFX500 is rather pointless look at the cost comparisons,look at the size and the amount of space it takes up on your rig and lastly the running cost also the Martin has very poor optics and not very bright for the money when comparing lighting brightness its the amount of lumens that count just because a led is 60w does not mean it is brighter than say a 30w led its light output that counts thats why video projectors tend to use HID lamps high lumen count and clarity.

Starlight
01-07-2010, 09:19 PM
keep up man these have been out for a while http://www.theaudioworksuk.com/index.php/chavet-q-spot-260-60w-led-moving-head.html
£899 :eek: That's too expensive for most mobile jocks. Our's are getting pushed out for just £450, that's half the cost of the Chavet Q Spot 260 ;) Our 60W scanners are smaller in size but users can grab them for half of what Chavet are charging and our scanners are more compact and portable. Their Q Spot 260's are really nice and may offer slightly more to our scanners but wonder what people are more inclined to purchasing ;)

Neil............

TONYTIGER
02-07-2010, 07:32 AM
£899 :eek: That's too expensive for most mobile jocks. Our's are getting pushed out for just £450, that's half the cost of the Chavet Q Spot 260 ;) Our 60W scanners are smaller in size but users can grab them for half of what Chavet are charging and our scanners are more compact and portable. Their Q Spot 260's are really nice and may offer slightly more to our scanners but wonder what people are more inclined to purchasing ;)

Neil............

Could you let everybody know what is the lumen output on these 60w led scanners because thats what really counts ,see my previous post is there a spec sheet for them or is it to early to post .

Starlight
03-07-2010, 10:52 PM
Description:

The Mirage Preditor is an extemely powerful compact LED disco/nightclub scanner utilising a 60W white LED light source with seperate colour and gobo wheel's, a 3-facet prism and rotating gobo's for stunning visual effects.

Extreme output:

The Terminator is currently regarded as the most intense and most dynamic LED scanner, this beast of an LED scanner boasts unrivalled brightness from the single 60W white LED light source. The superb optics guarantee's fantasticly sharp beams and gobo's complimented with maximum optical efficiency. The highest quality stepper motors are implemented into the fixture to maximise beautifully even beams with smooth and rich colour distribution and a multi layered dichroic reflector to minimise thermal stress.

Easy maintenance and low noise formula:

A number of mechanical and design factor's utilised to reduce noise emission's for the quietest of venues. A very well laid out fixture to ensure easy access to part's and easy to clean and service.

Specification's:

Light source: 1pc 60W white LED.
Luminous output: 4500LM
Colour temperature: 6000K
Protocol: USITT DMX512
DMX channels: 12
Gobo wheel: 7 rotating gobo's + open + shake
Colour wheel: 7
Rotating prism: 3-facet
Operational modes: DMX512, master/slave & sound to light
Dimming: 0-100%
Focussing: Manual
Fully controllable strobing: 1-10fps
X/Y movement: Pan: 180°
Tilt: 60°
Display: 4-button menu system with an LED display for ease of use
LED life: 100,000hrs
Approval's: RoHS, CE
Included accessories: User manual, hanging bracet, IEC lead
Optional accessories: Flightcase
Voltage: AC100-250V, 50/60Hz
Fuse: 2A
Power consumption: 80W
Weight: 10Kg

--------------------------------------------------

The future's bright - welcome to Mirage :)

Neil.

Twinspin
04-07-2010, 04:25 PM
Id spend a grand on a light if its good quality depends on the make. Im a firm believer of the words you get what you pay for.

Starlight
04-07-2010, 05:19 PM
Either buy advertising space or stop trying to advertise.

No warning next time.

Admin

ADJ
31-08-2010, 08:30 AM
I m in the same dillema myself, concering the COMSCANS.

I had them demo-ed in my local ADJ dealer and although its a compact scanner, lightweight and brighter than an Revo 4, i dont know how a 10W led source can handle an outdoor gig. On youtube they look bright, but you cant buy 800 quid worth of equipment based on a youtube video.

Trying to decide which scanner will cover me better in an outdoor wedding event with plenty of ambient lighting around :

2 x stairville SC250 (HID) 700euros for two units
4 x comscans 720euros for 4 units
or 4 x Dynamo 250W ELC 619euros including cables and a DMX?

any opinions???

Shippers
05-07-2011, 08:45 PM
Possibly buying a pair of Comscans this week, has anyone got these, and recommend?

deltic
06-07-2011, 07:17 AM
i use 4 adj x scan led scanners,the early one with the 10w led and can't really fault them,often used with an efx500 and they hold their own.

YouTube - ‪mobile dj cumbria wedding video‬‏