PDA

View Full Version : P.A.T .......question

mg ents
11-07-2006, 09:18 PM
Hi,

We are buying all new equipment this week, im a bit confused...obviously with it being brand new, wont it come with a guarantee for so long before it needs to be p.a.t tested??

Cheers

Corabar Steve
11-07-2006, 09:23 PM
In theory it should be tested straight away, any bit of equipment on any given day could fail a P.A.T. & new kit has been known to.

Solitaire Events Ltd
11-07-2006, 09:27 PM
When you've got a spare day or two, have a look here http://www.hse.gov.uk/index.htm There's loads of information on there, and if you don't find exactly what you are looking for , then email them and ask.

I've done this on several ocassions and they have come back to me fairly quickly.

mg ents
11-07-2006, 09:28 PM
so if i organise for someone to pat test it the week we get it, is it then required to do it every twelve months or so??? what do you reakon is the going price for testing??

will i get certification that all the equipment is ok, i have noticed the pat verification website...

Solitaire Events Ltd
11-07-2006, 09:32 PM
so if i organise for someone to pat test it the week we get it, is it then required to do it every twelve months or so??? what do you reakon is the going price for testing??

will i get certification that all the equipment is ok, i have noticed the pat verification website...

It depends how often you are using your gear to be honest.

Most DJs I know will have the test once a year.

Pricing is really dependant on where you are and how many items you ahve to test.

It can range from around £1.30 upto £5+ per item, depending on which company or person you go to.

I paid £1.60+vat per item.

Thames Valley Discos
11-07-2006, 09:34 PM
Although people test yearly in most cases, in theory mobile equipment should be done more regularly, especially cables that get wound up, trodden on etc. And always do a visual inspection of cables every gig, just incase a cable is split or loose. A pAT test is a bit like an MOT, only relates to the gears state on day of test. And as i keep saying. Use a martindale at venue, cos if the socket isnt earthed, kind of makes a PAT test pointless.

Solitaire Events Ltd
11-07-2006, 09:40 PM
Although people test yearly in most cases, in theory mobile equipment should be done more regularly, especially cables that get wound up, trodden on etc. And always do a visual inspection of cables every gig, just incase a cable is split or loose. A pAT test is a bit like an MOT, only relates to the gears state on day of test. And as i keep saying. Use a martindale at venue, cos if the socket isnt earthed, kind of makes a PAT test pointless.

Very important point.

mg ents
11-07-2006, 10:03 PM
Can you give us the main points we need to cover before starting advertising as a business....legally...
1. We bought all the gear, pat tested it, got public liability ....etc, obviously we have to register our name?

We both working full time at the moment so will be doing gigs evenings and at weekends, do we have to class ourselves as self employed? how does it all work

Sorry for all the qestions but dont want to be pulled up on some stupid technicallity

Solitaire Events Ltd
11-07-2006, 10:06 PM
Easier to give you a link again...http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/selfemployed/

That should tell you everything you need to know.

Get an accountant! They will save you money in the long run.

CRAZY K
12-07-2006, 06:16 AM
always do a visual inspection of cables every gig, just incase a cable is split or loose.

This also reduces the risk of you being made to look unprofessional by your gear breaking down or crackling during the gig! :teeth:

CRAZY K

Thames Valley Discos
12-07-2006, 06:57 AM
always do a visual inspection of cables every gig, just incase a cable is split or loose.

This also reduces the risk of you being made to look unprofessional by your gear breaking down or crackling during the gig! :teeth:

CRAZY K
Hence why i carry a flight case full of spare cables. I double up on every cable, just in case

Have a disco
12-07-2006, 08:29 AM
keep hold of all expences receipts of fuel bulbs music purchases wether on DVD or CD or invoices of new products bought, even Insurances bought a good accountant will sort it all outfor you but it helps if you numbered your receipts and state what they are in an account styled book....

You'll be amazed at how much you buy is accountable

soundtracker
12-07-2006, 09:11 AM
Use a martindale at venue, cos if the socket isnt earthed, kind of makes a PAT test pointless.

A martindale? is that for the cowboy DJ to tie his horse up with? :teeth:

Paul James Promotions
12-07-2006, 03:09 PM

As Daz says, probrably is a good idea.

Last weekend I did a big event, and provided the band with a 32 amp supply on stage. Half way through their set, the power went (thankfully I had prepared a 'backup' supply running from local 13 amp. After inspection a few days ago, the live cable had a break in it, and for no apparant reason. Unbelievable how it worked throughout sound checking and the start of the band's set :omg:

mg ents
12-07-2006, 09:45 PM
great website u got paul....

Solitaire Events Ltd
12-07-2006, 10:25 PM

Jamie you mean? :)

Paul James Promotions
12-07-2006, 10:32 PM

Ta very much :teeth: :teeth:

Jamie (not Paul :teeth: )