PDA

View Full Version : Hanging lights

DJ Tony McQue
07-07-2010, 04:03 PM
I am just wondering what people on here use to hand their lights safely onto their lighting stands. I currently use one of my more sturdy flight cases to stand on but feel this is not the ideal solution. Do you bring along a ladder or just use the venues chairs?

DynamoTom
07-07-2010, 04:07 PM
I am just wondering what people on here use to hand their lights safely onto their lighting stands. I currently use one of my more sturdy flight cases to stand on but feel this is not the ideal solution. Do you bring along a ladder or just use the venues chairs?

I use crank truss stands and a 4 metre truss length, I hang the lighting fixtures onto the truss and then crank the truss stands up to the desired height depending on the venue we are booked for.

I sometimes use a venue chair if I have to hang a heavy lighting fixture onto the truss system if I raise it up a bit so I can set up playout system etc.

OllieJames
07-07-2010, 04:09 PM
I'm tall enough to hang the lights on my trusslite at full height anyway... but occasionally I'll use a step ladder.

jon s
07-07-2010, 04:48 PM
Being 6'3" helps, but sometimes the use of a chair is required. Please make sure you wipe it down after use.

NKR
07-07-2010, 08:28 PM
Winch system for me. Hang them low then crank them up. Secondary safety wires on of course.

DJWilson
07-07-2010, 08:34 PM
4ft Giraafe deckstand, can easierly reach. It's just the bolt's that take the pee, never want to go on lol.

DynamoTom
07-07-2010, 08:36 PM
4ft Giraafe deckstand, can easierly reach. It's just the bolt's that take the pee, never want to go on lol.

I use Prolight Quick Release clamps on my 4ft deckstand + 4 metre truss system.

soundmaster mobile disco
07-07-2010, 09:43 PM
I feel that i am tall enough to hang the g clamp up onto the middle hight of my ultimax stand.however if i use the tallest setting then i sometimes use a chair from the venue.

Dynamic Entertainment
07-07-2010, 09:48 PM
I too am tall enough to not need any help :D

Ajaysdisco
07-07-2010, 09:48 PM
A chair? Are you joking? :eek:
First safety and second it doesn’t look professional, would an electrician use a chair?

Although most times I can reach I use a small step ladder.

simonp
07-07-2010, 09:57 PM
I've got one of these combination ladder/trolley contraptions (http://www.images2.co.uk/Cases_And_Trolleys/Carts_And_Trolleys/COMBINATION_HAND_TRUCK_&_STEP_LADDER_FT717325.html) - certainly a lot safer and more professional looking than a 'venue chair'

Solitaire Events Ltd
08-07-2010, 10:47 AM
I've got one of these combination ladder/trolley contraptions (http://www.images2.co.uk/Cases_And_Trolleys/Carts_And_Trolleys/COMBINATION_HAND_TRUCK_&_STEP_LADDER_FT717325.html) - certainly a lot safer and more professional looking than a 'venue chair'

I've got one of those too. It's generally pretty useful, but make sure the nuts and bolts are tightened regularly as they have a habit of falling off....:o

simonp
08-07-2010, 12:08 PM
I've got one of those too. It's generally pretty useful, but make sure the nuts and bolts are tightened regularly as they have a habit of falling off....:o

YES - Definitely Daz - Especially the long bolt through the wheels, pesky thing!

Happy Jack
08-07-2010, 02:12 PM
I currently use one of my more sturdy flight cases to stand on...

Standard procedure, really. Although with the pair of us we can rig at ground level and manually lift a side of the truss at a time. :o

Not very elegant, but winch stands and box truss are a way off yet. Must get round to picking up one of these tidy little things...

http://www.dropshiponline.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1413

Dynamic Entertainment
08-07-2010, 03:50 PM
Heres a question...if theres just one person...how do you safely raise truss up on 2 winch tripods?

Daryll
08-07-2010, 05:03 PM
stilts :sofa:

Solitaire Events Ltd
08-07-2010, 05:06 PM
Heres a question...if theres just one person...how do you safely raise truss up on 2 winch tripods?

Use adjustable truss adapters, or do a little at a time, or use a small piece of truss and wind both at once like I do.

Daryll
08-07-2010, 05:31 PM
Just a matter of interest , if you use steps , they would need to be class one industrial , as you are using them for work , I think they have to be checked every 12 months , and a certificate of compliance is riveted to the sides by an H&S person that is suitably qualified .
In my day job as a painter , all my ladders and steps have to undergo an annual "mot" as it were.

Daryll

DeckstarDeluxe
08-07-2010, 05:41 PM
Use adjustable truss adapters, or do a little at a time, or use a small piece of truss and wind both at once like I do.

Thats what I do,wind up til you can put the safety pin in through the hole, go to the other side and go up again, repeat :D

NKR
08-07-2010, 06:23 PM

The truss tops on my powerdrives are hinged so you can move one up a bit with the truss top pivoting, then over to the other side, etc. There are two of us so I don't need to do this, but that is how it would work if I was flying solo.

Also very useful for truss mounting solo as the tops pivot through 90 degress so can insert one end of truss whilst the other end is grounded, then deal with the second end.

Powerdrive - Excellent stand systems!

Twinspin
08-07-2010, 07:08 PM
with my lights im tall enough to hang them.

as with winches.

wind one up a little bit.... go to the other side wind that up a bit and so on wind each one up a small bit at a time.

simonp
09-07-2010, 11:45 AM
Just a matter of interest , if you use steps , they would need to be class one industrial , as you are using them for work , I think they have to be checked every 12 months , and a certificate of compliance is riveted to the sides by an H&S person that is suitably qualified .
In my day job as a painter , all my ladders and steps have to undergo an annual "mot" as it were.

Daryll

Sweet baby jesus, thank god the other lot have got into government and are binning most of the petty laws introduced -you'll be asking if we do a risk assessment before stepping out of the front door next!!!