PDA

View Full Version : New Edition of Pro Mobile

ian8limelight
11-07-2006, 09:52 PM
Got the latest edition yesterday, what an excellent read. A must for all Mobile DJ's and KJ's. Articles include:-

Ballroom Dancing;
Review of the NADJ Show in Coventry;
Technical spec on the use of microphones;
Various equipment reviews including a DMX tester and the new Bose PAS Speaker system (as seen in Coventry) written by Paul Arnett;
Details of the DJ North show.

The only disappointing part was not seeing Darren's photo as discussed shortly after the show; I wanted an autographed copy.

Steve the DJ
11-07-2006, 09:57 PM
Hmmm... I thought this edition was poor. :sad:

Maybe I should go back and re read it.

Rattz
11-07-2006, 09:57 PM
I keep applying for pro mobilr and never here a word from them, they didn't even send me out the 3 free trail issues!!!!

Solitaire Events Ltd
11-07-2006, 09:58 PM
Got the latest edition yesterday, what an excellent read. A must for all Mobile DJ's and KJ's. Articles include:-

Ballroom Dancing;
Review of the NADJ Show in Coventry;
Technical spec on the use of microphones;
Various equipment reviews including a DMX tester and the new Bose PAS Speaker system (as seen in Coventry) written by Paul Arnett;
Details of the DJ North show.

The only disappointing part was not seeing Darren's photo as discussed shortly after the show; I wanted an autographed copy.

Yeah, how dare they not put me in - might have been 'cos I asked for an appearance fee... :teeth:

I thought there was a lot of boring stuff in there to be honest. Three pages on how the ear works? Come on, if I wanted to know the ins and outs of that, I'd look in a medical book or on the net.

There was also an article about strict tempo/ballroom dancing with I thought was way too long.

Good review from Paul on the PAS - he was so excited when he bought it, that he phoned me and told me! (After a night out in Coventry, but that's another story)

I still wish I could have heard what the PAS can do, as Bose didn't seem to want to 'let it rip' at the exhibition.

I'm trying to convince Paul to send a helicopter down for me, for the DJ Show North, but I don't think he's having it!

Trip to Barnsley anyone?

ian8limelight
11-07-2006, 09:59 PM
Hmmm... I thought this edition was poor. :sad:

Any particular reason ?

Corabar Steve
11-07-2006, 09:59 PM
Possibly something to do with your location Rattz

Rattz
11-07-2006, 10:00 PM
what do you mean being in the UK!!! LOL

Solitaire Events Ltd
11-07-2006, 10:02 PM
what do you mean being in the UK!!! LOL

We all moved to the moon ages ago - didn't you know? :teeth:

ian8limelight
Yeah, how dare they not put me in - might have been 'cos I asked for an appearance fee... :teeth:

There was also an article about strict tempo/ballroom dancing with I thought was way too long.

Good review from Paul on the PAS - he was so excited when he bought it, that he phoned me and told me! (After a night out in Coventry, but that's another story)

I still wish I could have heard what the PAS can do, as Bose didn't seem to want to 'let it rip' at the exhibition.

Trip to Barnsley anyone?

The Ballroom dancing was, for some oif the work I do, of great interest but it did repeat itself a couple of times.

For me, the magzine continues to grow and grow in interest. i suppose it depends on where your parrticular interests lie.

Now decision time - Barnsley or Guiness in Mallorca ????????

Corabar Entertainment
what do you mean being in the UK!!! LOLYes - you & I know that, but a lot of people and companies seem to treat NI differently...... just look at the insurance situation! :omg:

Corabar Steve
11-07-2006, 10:03 PM
But at the same time overseas

Do you get the covermont CDs on issues of Kerrang, Mojo, Q etc?

Rattz
11-07-2006, 10:03 PM
sometimes it feels like that when you live in northern ireland trust me!!

was told the other day that my driving licence is null and void over here even though it has 'UK' in big green letters on the front of it!!! lol

Rattz
11-07-2006, 10:05 PM
But at the same time overseas

Do you get the covermont CDs on issues of Kerrang, Mojo, Q etc?

Aye nee prob with any of that stuff, and when i send stuff to newmills (buxton) it cost me no more than sending it to belfast i.e 1st class stamp.

:teeth:

Corabar Steve
11-07-2006, 10:05 PM
sometimes it feels like that when you live in northern ireland trust me!!

was told the other day that my driving licence is null and void over here even though it has 'UK' in big green letters on the front of it!!! lol :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Steve the DJ
11-07-2006, 10:06 PM
Any particular reason ?

Apart from the ballroom dancing article I think I felt I had already read a lot of the content recently on forums.

Normally when it arrives I have a flick through and find myself stopping because something catches my eye, it just didn't happen this time.

Corabar Steve
11-07-2006, 10:08 PM
Aye nee prob with any of that stuff, and when i send stuff to newmills (buxton) it cost me no more than sending it to belfast i.e 1st class stamp.

:teeth:
Not that then, but you do see small print saying Excludes ROI /NI

Rattz
11-07-2006, 10:09 PM
Not that then, but you do see small print saying Excludes ROI /NI

naw but then didn't look, and they still send me emails to subscibe lol i'm having the same problem with mastermix

Corabar Steve
11-07-2006, 10:13 PM
Is there anything in your email address that would indicate you're in NI?

Rattz
11-07-2006, 10:15 PM
Is there anything in your email address that would indicate you're in NI?

no its [email protected]

i just gave up on them lol

Corabar Entertainment
11-07-2006, 10:16 PM
How strange????

Corabar Steve
11-07-2006, 10:19 PM
no its [email protected]

i just gave up on them lol
That may be it, perhaps they have a not available in NI clause & didn't realise until they saw your address

Rattz
11-07-2006, 10:22 PM
That may be it, perhaps they have a not available in NI clause & didn't realise until they saw your address

no just been to the website and on the suscribe page it shows a picture of the uk including northern ireland, so go figure *shrugs shoulders*

Shaun
11-07-2006, 10:27 PM
I sent for a trial issue (last month). I can't say I was overly impressed. I got a phone call this very evening from ProMobile asking if I was interested in subscribing.......I declined.

Have a disco
12-07-2006, 09:13 AM
Have to say that this was the WORST edition of pro mobile in some time

A) Im taught Biology
B) Followed by old time dancing (how many mobiles disco's play ballroom very regularly)
C) Again where is our section within the magazine ARE WE NOT GOOD ENUFF subtle hint pro mobile
D) same old companies advertising again there are more than 1 laser company out there
E) when are they to do something about educating the lower disco's about PLI & Pat as onlt people that buy this will actually have it??
F) When will LEDJ advert actually work online??
G) where were the articles then more adverts than info yet again

ian8limelight
12-07-2006, 03:55 PM
Have to say that this was the WORST edition of pro mobile in some time

B) Followed by old time dancing (how many mobiles disco's play ballroom very regularly)
E) when are they to do something about educating the lower disco's about PLI & Pat as onlt people that buy this will actually have it??
F) When will LEDJ advert actually work online??

Badger,

Got to address some of your issues:-

B. I play quite a lot of Ballroom music during the year so I did find it useful. As it says in the article, Ballroom dancing IS becoming more popular due, in some respects, to recent prime time TV shows. It is also an area which DJ's who are new to the circuit may find to be an informative read.

E. Again, new DJ's on the circuit may want to know about this kind of music/function.

F. Agree - I've been trying to have a look at this site for a month or so.

soundtracker
12-07-2006, 04:01 PM
Pro-mobile magazine is there for everyone to contribute to. Instead of moaning about the content write an article yourself and submit it. DJ's always moan that nobody does anything for them, yet when someone actually tries, they moan about that as well. I happen to appreciate the fact that someone is trying- granted not everyone is going to have a use for every article, but pick and choose- DONT CRITICISE UNLESS YOU'RE PREPARED TO GET OFF YOUR BACKSIDE AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

Solitaire Events Ltd
12-07-2006, 04:10 PM
Pro-mobile magazine is there for everyone to contribute to. Instead of moaning about the content write an article yourself and submit it. DJ's always moan that nobody does anything for them, yet when someone actually tries, they moan about that as well. I happen to appreciate the fact that someone is trying- granted not everyone is going to have a use for every article, but pick and choose- DONT CRITICISE UNLESS YOU'RE PREPARED TO GET OFF YOUR BACKSIDE AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

Come on Pete.

I would have thought that paying money out every couple of months for a magazine would allow a certain amount of critisism?

soundtracker
12-07-2006, 04:18 PM
I don't think there is much to criticise, I've picked up some useful bits and pieces from it- as I said, not everthings gonna be to your liking, but it ain't exactly expensive is it?

Have a disco
12-07-2006, 05:17 PM
Im right to critisize as this is the 2nd in a row that is just pure waffle, articles by the same people. I would contribute but even my letters get no where and these have been nice as pie still such a big subscription you cant get it on the shelves yet.

Up til the last 2 releases itwas just right

soundtracker
12-07-2006, 05:50 PM
Like I said, easy to criticise.

Have a disco
12-07-2006, 06:24 PM
very true it is easy to critisize. but then Im classed as small fry and my views in such a big magazine would stand for nothing. It still seems that most disco's forget how hard it is in the first 3 years from the beginning to even get established is a fight. I'll write an article anytime they want me to but Im afraid it would get edited to pieces

as said before Ballroom dance is not a mainstay of disco just a new fad that will come and go much as karaoke is in decline, so will this it always comes back to being a disco

The magazine has taken its foot of the pedal slightly that article should and could have been over just a page not 3 still not every magazine can be perfect all year round

soundtracker
12-07-2006, 06:27 PM
What's all this small fry business?

Have a disco
12-07-2006, 06:29 PM
Mushy Peas With Mine Please

ian8limelight
12-07-2006, 06:42 PM
as said before Ballroom dance is not a mainstay of disco just a new fad that will come and go much as karaoke is in decline, so will this it always comes back to being a disco

Again, I would disagree with you here Badger old boy.

I've been playing Ballroom music throughout my 25+ years as a Mobile DJ (Weddings, Dinner-Dances, Masonic Ladies Nights, Functions) when it has been requested (which is quite often), so I wouldn't see it as a "new fad".

Corabar Entertainment
12-07-2006, 07:14 PM
as said before Ballroom dance is not a mainstay of disco just a new fad that will come and go much as karaoke is in decline, so will this it always comes back to being a discoThe only thing I would add to the other comments that have been made is that surely it is a good thing to have articles on things that many DJs won't know much about? In my mind, there is little point in focusing on something that everyone already knows.

(I am not making an observation on Pro Mobile here, as I haven't read it, just based on the comments made by others on here)

soundtracker
12-07-2006, 07:16 PM
Its the "closed mind" attitude that makes people sit at home when they could be out working.

dj_ags
13-07-2006, 12:17 PM
I've just subscribed to the Pro Mobile magazine.

I've subscribed for one year supply of the magazine, receiving 6 editions in total, starting off with issue 18.

I look forward to reading this issue and the fourthcoming issues from the series.

I must say that the subscription fee is very reasonable, and i will probably renew my subscription after i have received the 6 editions.

soundtracker
13-07-2006, 12:22 PM
I'm sure that you'll find some useful stuff Ags! I've gained a lot of business since I've applied some of Peter Merry's ideas - mind you they do need de-Americanising a bit first!

Shaun
13-07-2006, 01:44 PM
For such a small publication that has a large advert based content I found it to be poor value for money. I'm just glad I didn't have to pay for it.

Just my opinion....each to their own.

soundtracker
13-07-2006, 01:49 PM
I won't make the obvious reply as I will be accused of using National stereotypes! But its less than the price of a pint every two months!

Shaun
13-07-2006, 02:50 PM
Very true.

However.....

The content in the issue I recieved could all have been found online for free..and with less adverts. £2.50 for the publication is only good value if the content inside is "of value to the purchaser". I found it not to be.

Of course it comes down to personal opinion in the end. I'd rather spend the money on a pint :D

pdarnett
13-07-2006, 03:21 PM
I'm trying to convince Paul to send a helicopter down for me, for the DJ Show North, but I don't think he's having it!

Trip to Barnsley anyone?

Found you a helicopter

Larry B Entertainment
13-07-2006, 03:31 PM
Reminds me of "Little Nelly" from the James bond film.

Solitaire Events Ltd
13-07-2006, 03:40 PM
Found you a helicopter

My cup runneth over.... :teeth:

Have a disco
13-07-2006, 05:15 PM
Afraid that If it had more realistic charts as well it would help those voted buy us are always the same ole things Monthly DMC chart and UK pop charts are amiss, and alot of the subjects have been covered in my Bi monthly DJ Mag at one time or another. But there are just too many adverts and not enuff about us within it. A run down about Tax self assement would be great right now etc etc and the pro's & Cons about agencies where we could get regular work would be great, as alot of the old agents from old have gone now....

pdarnett
13-07-2006, 05:34 PM
Maybe somebody should tell eddie from promobile all these suggestions?

soundtracker
13-07-2006, 05:39 PM
That would be too easy!

Candybeatdiscos
16-07-2006, 11:23 AM
I got my free sample yesterday morning, I liked reading Dave Dee's article - has given me a few idea's and i also liked the Tricky article, but i have to agree with Shaun, there seems to be an awful lot of ad's, which turns it more into a catalouge with a few letters/articles. I would like to see tips and tricks for those new to running thier own business, i worked for other people for 13 years and have only just got into my own business the last few months.. and I am really starting to struggle with getting myself known, I do karaoke at the local and if i didn't have that to fall back on then i would be snookered...and i started doing that for a small fee just as i started to put the idea of running my own business together - i don't feel i can go back now and say right i want extra cause i am now a proper business, I could if i had more demand...they are right is is a dawg eats dawg world out there

st1ngo
16-07-2006, 11:38 AM
Went off this mag after the editor told me in person he has a problem with "older" dj's and dj's that dont look "good"

Have a disco
16-07-2006, 02:40 PM
Maybe somebody should tell eddie from promobile all these suggestions?

Prehaps If eddie was a member of the site apart from a member none he might find out what the hell bugs us and be able to keep upto date straight from our mouths as it happens, rather than relying on us to run to him

pdarnett
16-07-2006, 11:06 PM
lets invite him in then...

Maybe he just "went off " you st1ngo :) (joke)

Understand you're coming to visit us at DJ Show North this year, where DJ's of ALL ages are welcome (under 12's free!)

Solitaire Events Ltd
16-07-2006, 11:11 PM

Understand you're coming to visit us at DJ Show North this year, where DJ's of ALL ages are welcome (under 12's free!)

Only DJs allowed? :omg: :teeth:

Strange concept for a DJ show! :teeth:

Corabar Entertainment
16-07-2006, 11:12 PM
(under 12's free!)So you're discriminating against older DJs then? :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

st1ngo
17-07-2006, 08:50 AM

He dosnt like fat DJ's either................................

pdarnett
17-07-2006, 09:34 AM
Oh god picky picky,

DJ Show North this year, where people of ALL ages are welcome (under 12's free!) (no dogs)

fat dj's eh, isn't that the only sort?

Corabar Entertainment
17-07-2006, 09:48 AM
Oh god picky picky,No - just joking! :teeth:

Corabar Steve
17-07-2006, 11:11 AM
fat dj's eh, isn't that the only sort?Um, well actually no. My waistline is trim thank you very much :teeth:

So trim infact, that all my trousers have started to fall down :embarasse

dj_ags
19-07-2006, 03:57 PM
My issue 18 arrived today, and after reading a few articles within in the magazine, i am most impressed by what i have read.

I firstly read the article written by local DJ Dave Dee, and i am most impressed by what i both saw and read!

I have just finished reading the review of the Bose PAS system and i must compliment Paul Arnett on his review, as he made it very interesting indeed!

Im already looking forward to issue 19...shame i'm going to have to wait two months though :)

ian8limelight
19-07-2006, 04:02 PM
fat dj's eh, isn't that the only sort?

More 'weight challenged' !!!!!!! .............. but Yes.

Corabar Steve
19-07-2006, 04:10 PM
I firstly read the article written by local DJ Dave Dee,Is he still knocking about with Dozey, Beaky, Mick & Titch?

dj_ags
19-07-2006, 04:16 PM
Is he still knocking about with Dozey, Beaky, Mick & Titch?

PMSL! They some of your personal friends Steve? :teeth:

He's based in Stoke, near Leigh and Wolfie...so perhaps they are the ones you should ask :teeth: