PDA

View Full Version : DMX Light Scenes....

Shaun
11-07-2006, 10:58 PM
Oh what a pain they are. Spent a few hours programming some new scenes...strobe effect scenes in particular. The room is spinning and I feel like i'm about to vomit. :(

I feel ill....all that time sequencing them for a few scenes that lasts about 20 seconds. I need a drink ! :beer:

Corabar Entertainment
11-07-2006, 10:59 PM
You use strobes, Shaun?

Solitaire Events Ltd
11-07-2006, 11:00 PM
Strobe effects Ang, not strobes.

Solitaire Events Ltd
11-07-2006, 11:01 PM
Oh what a pain they are. Spent a few hours programming some new scenes...strobe effect scenes in particular. The room is spinning and I feel like i'm about to vomit. :(

I feel ill....all that time sequencing them for a few scenes that lasts about 20 seconds. I need a drink ! :beer:

Any excuse! :beer:

What lighting do you use Shaun?

Corabar Entertainment
11-07-2006, 11:05 PM
Strobe effects Ang, not strobes.Yes I know that, but it is still 'strobing', which is what I meant.... sorry will take more care in contructing my posts in future! :embarasse

Solitaire Events Ltd
11-07-2006, 11:09 PM
Yes I know that, but it is still 'strobing', which is what I meant.... sorry will take more care in contructing my posts in future! :embarasse

I should think so too... :teeth:

Shaun
11-07-2006, 11:11 PM
Was programming some i-moves, Daz,
http://www.matthieu-production.com/sonolumvte/IM_5S_web.jpg
Not a fan of strobe effects personally, I've got a gig coming up where strobes were requested (youth event). Seeing as I don't own strobes anymore I've been working on strobe scenes. Did I mention I feel Ill :(

Shaun
11-07-2006, 11:12 PM
p.s...Drink in hand to steady my nerves (not that I needed an excuse)

Corabar Entertainment
11-07-2006, 11:14 PM
Not a fan of strobe effects personally, I've got a gig coming up where strobes were requested (youth event). Seeing as I don't own strobes anymore I've been working on strobe scenes. Did I mention I feel Ill :( :eek: .... Dangerous territory!!!!! (danger of triggering epilepsy, etc) Of course, you have to make sure that you are within H&S guidelines for the speed of the strobe..... and (not entirely sure on the ins and outs of this) but don't you have to give some kind of warning as well?

Shaun
11-07-2006, 11:16 PM
I've got some signs printed stating that there will be intermittent strobe use.

I don't plan on using the effect much...it's just there basically to keep the client happy. Short bursts at intervals

A quick google ....

Strobe Lighting Regulations

There is no legislation covering the use of strobe lighting specifically. However, in places of public entertainment the licensing authority may choose to set conditions on the use of strobe lighting effects as part of the license.

Guidance exists in 'The Event Safety Guide - A guide to health, safety and welfare at music and similar events', published by the Health and Safety Executive. This is the recently published second edition that is known as the 'Pop Code'. The guidance on this document is not legally binding but paragraph 6 notes that entertainment licensing authorities may refer to this guide when considering appropriate license conditions.

Chapter 17 of the guide, dealing with special effects, fireworks and pyrotechnics, includes some advice on strobe lighting as follows:

"Carefully consider the use of strobe lights, as under some conditions they may induce epilepsy in flicker-sensitive individuals. Whenever strobe lights are used, arrange for a prior warning to be given at the entrance to the event or in the programme.

If strobe lights are used, keep flicker rates at or below four flashes per second. Below this rate it is estimated that only 5% of the flicker-sensitive population will be at risk of an attack. This flicker rate only applies to the overall output of any group of lights in direct view, but where more than one strobe light is used the flashes should be synchronised.

To reduce the risk further, mount lights as high above head height as is practicable. Where possible, the lights should be bounced off walls and ceilings or diffused by other means so that glare is reduced. They should not be used in corridors or on stairs. Continuous operation of strobe lighting for long periods should be avoided. Further information is available in the HSE HELA guidance note 'Disco lights and flicker-sensitive epilepsy'."

To summarize:

There is no law covering strobe lighting specifically.

HSE guidance is published as above but is not legally binding.

Requirements for operation may be set by the licensing authority.

Solitaire Events Ltd
11-07-2006, 11:24 PM
p.s...Drink in hand to steady my nerves (not that I needed an excuse)

That's a right touch....

(If you don't watch Soccer AM, then ignore me!)

Shaun
11-07-2006, 11:28 PM
*ignored*

:D

Corabar Steve
11-07-2006, 11:33 PM
That's a right touch....

(If you don't watch Soccer AM, then ignore me!)
Who said that?

Solitaire Events Ltd
11-07-2006, 11:38 PM
Who said that?

Barry Proudfoot :teeth:

Corabar Steve
11-07-2006, 11:43 PM
Barry Proudfoot :teeth:
If he has his family with him are they Proudfeet?

Paul James Promotions
12-07-2006, 12:11 AM
A few days ago I had to program a Martin 2518 using my Lightjockey for a friend running 6 macs. Took me about 3 hours to program 9 sequences. The problem was that the 2518 doesn't support movement macros, so every position the light moves to has to be programmed manually, otherwise it would have taken 5 minutes!

Have a disco
12-07-2006, 09:35 AM
I'l stick to plug and go LOL