PDA

View Full Version : 2nd hand van man

Ricesnaps
12-07-2006, 06:58 AM
I am now gainfully employed (as of Monday), I pick up the brand new motor (Seat Leon) on Friday and hopefully the not so brand new Laguna (which is in good nick) goes on autotrader later this week. Not that this thread is about selling it, if anyone is looking for a Y reg diesel laguna with a towbar....

Anyway, the Laguna sale will free up some cash to buy a van - about £3000 I hope. Obviously it's going to be 2nd hand, but interested on opinions. Fancy a Merc Vito, but I am expecting to need to buy something with high milage, so all you van users, what lasts the trials of time and gigging well?

Out of interest, it also means that my lovely box trailer will be up for grabs too - so anyone who is looking for one, let me know before it goes on e-bay!

Thames Valley Discos
12-07-2006, 07:16 AM
is trailer twin wheel? make? size?
I,ve got a twin wheel but fancy getting a newer one.

Ricesnaps
12-07-2006, 07:32 AM
is trailer twin wheel? make? size?
I,ve got a twin wheel but fancy getting a newer one.
Single axle I'm afraid - it's an aluminium one - bit like a tow-a-van, but different manufacturer - will check if you're interested, it's about 5ft long, 4ft high, roller shutter door.....

but if anyone is seriously interested I'll go and check it all

Candybeatdiscos
12-07-2006, 07:34 AM
well keep away from the nissan vanette - i got one now on the serious lookout for a new van - but have no cash....i dunno what the hell to do

Have a disco
12-07-2006, 08:32 AM
I am now gainfully employed (as of Monday), I pick up the brand new motor (Seat Leon) on Friday and hopefully the not so brand new Laguna (which is in good nick) goes on autotrader later this week. Not that this thread is about selling it, if anyone is looking for a Y reg diesel laguna with a towbar....

Anyway, the Laguna sale will free up some cash to buy a van - about £3000 I hope. Obviously it's going to be 2nd hand, but interested on opinions. Fancy a Merc Vito, but I am expecting to need to buy something with high milage, so all you van users, what lasts the trials of time and gigging well?

Out of interest, it also means that my lovely box trailer will be up for grabs too - so anyone who is looking for one, let me know before it goes on e-bay!

Box trailer How much mate?? and how big is it any pictures

Ricesnaps
12-07-2006, 08:51 AM
Box trailer How much mate?? and how big is it any pictures
I'll pop up the garage later and take some snaps - looking for around the £500 mark I guess

ian8limelight
12-07-2006, 04:08 PM
I'm now on my second VW Transporter SWB van and wouldn't change the model. Very good drive and very reliable.

GrahamH
12-07-2006, 05:10 PM
I've got the Vauxhall Vivaro. Service intervals of 18,000 and never had anything go wrong with it. Previous vivaro to this had 116,000 on the clock and drove like new.
Economical on diesel and just seems to go on and on and on

Corabar Entertainment
12-07-2006, 05:12 PM
I've got the Vauxhall Vivaro. Service intervals of 18,000 and never had anything go wrong with it. Please! Touch some wood..... QUICK! :omg:

dj_ags
12-07-2006, 05:18 PM
Just a thought, but if you're thinking about getting a van with high milage, it is always worth a trip down your local British Car Auction!

They have a total of 22 auction centres nationwide, some even dedicated to commercial vehicles. Their website is worth a detailed look.

British Car Auctions (www.british-car-auctions.co.uk)

Although it does say Car Auction, there are always commercial vehicles going through these auctions on a weekly basis in their midweek Commercial Auction!

There are many vans down there, including the makes and models specified in previous posts.

Always a bargain to be had!

GrahamH
12-07-2006, 05:40 PM
Please! Touch some wood..... QUICK! :omg:

Just have to treat it like a woman..... :teeth: :teeth:

and show it who's the BOSS

NeilP
12-07-2006, 05:45 PM
I hire vans on a semi-regular basis and have had various different vans over the course of a weekend / week.

I would second the VW Transporter (a mate of mine has also had these - 6 of them!! Always brand new though, and chops them in after 2 years. He swears by them) and also the Vivaro - fantastic van - they also have handy cup/bottle holders which is a must for long journeys!! :beer:

Don't go for the LDV's - basic interior and drive like a ...... erm truck! :sad: Also didn't like the Renault Traffic, can't remember why now though!

Transits are good, loads around 2nd hand, so some bargains to be had.... and parts are cheap as well.

However £3k will only just get you a Vivaro (2 on www.vantrader.co.uk at the moment under £3k then jumps up to nearly £4k) whilst the VW Transporter - there are loads from £900 upwards!

Ricesnaps
12-07-2006, 05:54 PM
I hire vans on a semi-regular basis and have had various different vans over the course of a weekend / week.

I would second the VW Transporter (a mate of mine has also had these - 6 of them!! Always brand new though, and chops them in after 2 years. He swears by them) and also the Vivaro - fantastic van - they also have handy cup/bottle holders which is a must for long journeys!! :beer:

Don't go for the LDV's - basic interior and drive like a ...... erm truck! :sad: Also didn't like the Renault Traffic, can't remember why now though!

Transits are good, loads around 2nd hand, so some bargains to be had.... and parts are cheap as well.

However £3k will only just get you a Vivaro (2 on www.vantrader.co.uk at the moment under £3k then jumps up to nearly £4k) whilst the VW Transporter - there are loads from £900 upwards!

Sadly no Vivare's in my area in the right price range. Just a thought, will any of these fit into a standard sized garage?

Ricesnaps
12-07-2006, 05:59 PM
OK, starting to narrow things down. looks like my £3K will get me something between 5 - 10 years old. Should I look at older lower milage or newer higher milage. Generally seem to be pushing over 100k, what's the implication on this level of milage. To put it in perspective, I've never even look at a car with that level of milage!

ian8limelight
12-07-2006, 06:07 PM
Don't go for ex-builders vans.

Mileage depends on what it's been used for. My previous VW Transporter van was bought with 85,000 on it but it had been used by a large Brewery as a maintenance van. Kept that one for 6 years.

screamersTess
12-07-2006, 06:21 PM
We've just bought a Hyundai 100 with 85k for £1700 on an S plate - lovely van so far!