PDA

View Full Version : External drives

Solitaire Events Ltd
11-07-2010, 11:51 AM
Following on from my Denon HD2500 thread, if you use an external drive, where do you put it?

Does it stay permanently in your case? If so, how is it attached? Or do you plug in every time and carry it separately?

NKR
11-07-2010, 11:55 AM
Following on from my Denon HD2500 thread, if you use an external drive, where do you put it?

Does it stay permanently in your case? If so, how is it attached? Or do you plug in every time and carry it separately?

Pair of Seagate 500Gig unit carried in a padded flight case in the back of car, not the trailer and connected up at each job. I don't like to leave in the main unit case or tape it in as they are delicate and prefer to give them a softer ride.
Also if I have an HD problem its easier to solve with tails of power and usb sticking out of box as HD two goes straight onto the tails, whilst I am on CD back up.
I know some guys have both hooked up through the hub so can just switch to USB2, but I am happy with my way.

Shakermaker Promotions
11-07-2010, 11:57 AM
You know what I do, I've explained in another thread. You could bolt them in I guess? I have mine in the case as it's easy for me and I'm always careful with the whole flightcase.

Pe7e
11-07-2010, 12:15 PM
I use a WD passport HD (very compact) and leave it in the flightcase, it's secured in place with 2 strips of 1.5" wide velcro so it can be taken out easily if needed, works a treat.

CRAZY K
11-07-2010, 12:19 PM

Separate, wrapped in foam in Flight case, plug in every time--no problems Seagate 320gb.

I dont bother to hook up the spare, I leave that at home over the fireplace to comply with Pro dub rules.:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Mini Disc is ready to deal with an emergency.

Excalibur
11-07-2010, 12:27 PM

You've not read many of my posts on this subject, have you? :D :D :D At the moment mine are built into the case so as to minimise setup and conceal cables. More importantly, I can't forget them!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o
Downside, I can only update them at gigs, so I'm considering making them removable, but Jury's out on the matter. Consider something like this perhaps Darren. May be a runner.

http://cpc.farnell.com/_/hd-hdock04/docking-stn-usb-esata-to-sata/dp/CS16468

Separate, wrapped in foam in Flight case, plug in every time--no problems Seagate 320gb.

I dont bother to hook up the spare, I leave that at home over the fireplace to comply with Pro dub rules.:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Mini Disc is ready to deal with an emergency.

As far as I can work out, you can have it alongside the main one, as long as you don't plug it into the playout system

Mark Wild
11-07-2010, 12:35 PM
I update mine weekly, it's carried seperately/plugged in everytime. 1/2 TB USB powered. Why are you so set on them having to be mains powered Peter?

NKR
11-07-2010, 03:10 PM
I update mine weekly, it's carried seperately/plugged in everytime. 1/2 TB USB powered. Why are you so set on them having to be mains powered Peter?

In case the USB hub loses power. Its the triple back up method - Peter gave me loads of advice when I went digital and works a real treat for me.
Much preferred to USB bus power.

Spirits High
11-07-2010, 03:20 PM
My 2 HD's are carried separately and plugged in every time. They sit next to the flightcase for easy access should there be any dramas.

I also put a small piece of tape around the connectors as I have a phobia about it coming unplugged during the gig :D

CRAZY K
11-07-2010, 03:25 PM
My 2 HD's are carried separately and plugged in every time. They sit next to the flightcase for easy access should there be any dramas.

I also put a small piece of tape around the connectors as I have a phobia about it coming unplugged during the gig :D

:confused:

Paul

THAT WOULD BE YOU TRIPPING OVER THE CABLE THEN

:Laugh: :Laugh: :Laugh: :Laugh: :Laugh:

They dont have self eject fitted

Spirits High
11-07-2010, 03:35 PM
:confused:

Paul

THAT WOULD BE YOU TRIPPING OVER THE CABLE THEN

:Laugh: :Laugh: :Laugh: :Laugh: :Laugh:

They dont have self eject fitted

I know they don't :p :D

But the connection from the HD2500 into the USB hub just makes me a bit twitchy that it might fall out so a little bit of tape soothes my mind :D :D

rob1963
11-07-2010, 03:42 PM
My hard drives (which happen to be inside ipods!) are plugged into my D2 each time I work. They drop into a slot in their side. The slot also contains the usb lead to plug them into.

It would be no good having them permanently in my console, as I need to update them & run the librarian software each week after I've downloaded the new music & made up my playlists for the following weekend's disco(s).

They therefore live on my computer desk where they're easily accessable.

Mark Wild
11-07-2010, 03:47 PM
My hard drives (which happen to be inside ipods!)

LMFAO !!!! :Censored: ing IPod DJ's

Steve the DJ
11-07-2010, 04:24 PM

I use a Laptop alongside a Denon DN-HC4500 and a Buffalo MiniStation Turbo USB Portable Hard Drive which lives in one of these in the laptop bag. I plug it in before each gig.

Personally I prefer to use this style of Hard Drive instead of a desktop as it uses a laptop drive and is generally more forgiving when being moved around or even dropped!

However it doesn't look like Buffalo sell my version anymore and the new ones don't look as robust to me.

Excalibur
11-07-2010, 04:54 PM
I use a WD passport HD (very compact) and leave it in the flightcase, it's secured in place with 2 strips of 1.5" wide velcro so it can be taken out easily if needed, works a treat.
I've got a couple of them, but can't get them to run with the Cortex. I've had no success at all with unpowered drives.

Paranoia, and the fact that I can't get unpoered ones to work with the Cortex. Laptop, no probs, but Cortex, no.

Quite right. I once didn't see a speed bump in time, bounced all the gear in the back of the van, and one Cortex unplugged its power supply!!!! Squeaky bum time, till I found it.

Shaun
11-07-2010, 05:06 PM

I have a 1U space at the bottom of my flightcase, I just sit it in there. It's plugged in only when in use and carried separately.

Spirits High
11-07-2010, 05:18 PM
Quite right. I once didn't see a speed bump in time, bounced all the gear in the back of the van, and one Cortex unplugged its power supply!!!! Squeaky bum time, till I found it.

You were Djing while driving :confused: :D

Proper mobile DJ you are :p :p :D

Excalibur
11-07-2010, 06:23 PM
You were Djing while driving :confused: :D

Proper mobile DJ you are :p :p :D

Oh how humorous.

It wouldn't power up at the gig, you :muppet: Took me a worrying few minutes to find it. :(

Vectis
11-07-2010, 06:28 PM
Mine live in the laptop bag for transit, and if using the d2 this is in a cantilever mixer case, so plenty of space 'out back' once it's open.

dj shuggy
12-07-2010, 02:36 PM
Unlike most of you i use a lappy... Well two really..

I have two 500gig HDDs one plugged in to each lappy.. In transit they are in a loptop case and when set up to play they sit behind the laptop screens.

Works for me...!!

DJ Shuggy