PDA

View Full Version : How critical are you....

Shaun
13-07-2006, 09:19 PM
How critical are you when you're at an event as a guest and another disco is performing?.

Are you critical of the performance?...or can you 'switch off' the inner dj in you and just enjoy the event?.

Do you introduce yourself to the dj, letting them know that you yourself are a dj?.

Thames Valley Discos
13-07-2006, 09:22 PM
I,m always curious , like to see their setup, and see if i learn anything. Must admit though, recently i have been to a couple of parties, and well. I just cant believe what i,m seeing. Very poor.

Solitaire Events Ltd
13-07-2006, 09:22 PM
How critical are you when you're at an event as a guest and another disco is performing?.

Are you critical of the performance?...or can you 'switch off' the inner dj in you and just enjoy the event?.

Do you introduce yourself to the dj, letting them know that you yourself are a dj?.

I used to be very critical...

But to be honest, I can't remember the last time when I wasn't working and watching another DJ...

Have a disco
13-07-2006, 09:25 PM
depends where I am, If a dj is mixing I can spot a bad mix in seconds

But at a party, then I try to stay away. But may request a song. But considering I do a lot of parties. Im not that often asked to one?? so when I actually am I try to enjoy myself.

Thames Valley Discos
13-07-2006, 09:31 PM
I also think of an obscure track, then ask for it. Wait 10 mins, then ask again. Then get the misses to ask,(lol)

Solitaire Events Ltd
13-07-2006, 09:38 PM
I also think of an obscure track, then ask for it. Wait 10 mins, then ask again. Then get the misses to ask,(lol)

Funny, 'cos years ago when I first started, I used to go to clubs and ask for the most upfront dance tune I could think of and ask the DJ for it. :embarasse

I think we've probably all done that!

I've lost count of the amount of people who come up to me at gigs and say "I do a bit of DJing"...Yawn. :teeth:

Creature
13-07-2006, 09:44 PM
sometimes i will go n chat with the dj - if i know him or here - if i dont then listen from afar - yeah i suppose im critical and would say something to dj that i kno w- but not to one i didnt

Paul James Promotions
13-07-2006, 09:45 PM
I always try and switch off :D

Often doesn't work :(

Ricesnaps
13-07-2006, 09:58 PM
I think the key here is to consider how it feels for us when we're DJing. How many of us have had the classic "I'm a DJ mate...." line. I don't know about you, but most of the time it makes me feel like handing over the headphones and saying "go on if you think you can do better, I'll be at the bar".

Don't get me wrong, my wife hates taking me to parties where there's a disco and I will sit in the corner muttering to her about the things that I could do better, but I have to say, that's exactly where it ends. Whatever I personally think, I'm not the one paying his wages!

There was one occation where we were at a very close friends daughters 18th (I unfortunately was to expensive for them and the hotel new a chap.... need I go on?) and the father of the daughter came over a few times and asked if I would have a word with the DJ as they were very very upset about how bad he was. If he's pushed it, then I guess I would have, but I did manage to perswade him to have a word himself.

dj_ags
13-07-2006, 10:39 PM
I always try and switch off :D

Often doesn't work :(

Exactly the same for me unfortunately.

I was at my school leavers prom the sunday before last, and i honestly did my upmost best to switch off and enjoy the night..but it didn't work as such, but i still had a good time though :teeth:

screamersTess
14-07-2006, 07:48 AM
I must admit I find it hard to switch off but as most have said the chance to go out to a party rather than DJ one is very rare.

However I have a wedding coming up - I'm going and one of my dj's is doing and a friend's birthday party - he's booked us to make sure we're there! :)

Alex - Cream Ents
14-07-2006, 11:49 AM
It is very hard not to cast a critical eye, although as previously mentioned by others it is very rare that I get to attend a function that I am not DJing at! Recently, however, I went to my girlfriends best friends wedding. Not impressed in the slightest. Cheap battered speakers coupled with a large lighting gantry (overkill!) and no apparent ability to read the crowd.

I did keep these thoughts to myself, well mostly, Lindsay got a bit of it until it looked like I was sending her to sleep. :omg:

st1ngo
14-07-2006, 11:56 AM
We have no right to criticise anyone .................who is to say we are any better ??

Who says "we" are the best ??

Its all about ego and DJ b******

Go and do your own jobs and stop worrying about what anyone else is doing

I can tell you all this ..........I have seen a few "well known " forum members working and I was horrified but I keep my thougts and comments to myself ...........who am I to judge !

Alex - Cream Ents
14-07-2006, 12:01 PM
I was not claiming to be any better just pointing out that when you do something for a living then watch somebody else do it its hard not to try and pick fault, or, compliment - its human nature.

Corabar Entertainment
14-07-2006, 12:03 PM
It's human nature to 'compare', and as some have said... they can sometimes pick up some tips and ideas.

No-one has named-names..... you yourself have said that you have seen some DJs and were horrified, so you yourself are doing the same thing (ie casting a crital eye over others).

I think it would be impossible to go to an event and not have a view on the DJ.... it's whether you let let ruin the event for you that matters.

st1ngo
14-07-2006, 12:39 PM
The point I was trying to make is we may well compare in our minds but we have no right to judge

Larry B Entertainment
14-07-2006, 01:00 PM
If i go to a do where there is a mobile disco then it doesnt bother me what that have, what they do or how they do it. But because im a musician as well i find myself more critical of other musos and always end up judging whether they can play better than me. Like Angela said its just human nature.

BeerFunk
14-07-2006, 01:25 PM
The point I was trying to make is we may well compare in our minds but we have no right to judge

Who says we have no right? Of course we do. When you form an opinion of something, you are judging it. If the DJ is rubbish compared to your standards, there is nothing wrong with saying so

Alex - Cream Ents
14-07-2006, 01:30 PM
Absolutely.

st1ngo
14-07-2006, 01:42 PM
Who says we have no right? Of course we do. When you form an opinion of something, you are judging it. If the DJ is rubbish compared to your standards, there is nothing wrong with saying so

So what do you do ??

Do you walk up and say yre crap to the DJ ??

Who are you to judge !

If you walked up to me when I was working and said that you would get more than you bargained for !

Corabar Entertainment
14-07-2006, 02:03 PM
There's a big difference between forming an opinion in your own mind (or even expressing it to those close to you) and going up and telling the DJ what you think of him!

I doubt that many would be as callous as to do that! (and, without re-reading the whole thread, I don't recall anyone suggesting it!)

st1ngo
14-07-2006, 02:33 PM
At least one person came as good as saying they would do that
maybe you should read back
How can you comment if you dont recall whats been said ?

BeerFunk
14-07-2006, 03:18 PM
So what do you do ??

Do you walk up and say yre crap to the DJ ??

Who are you to judge !

If you walked up to me when I was working and said that you would get more than you bargained for !

Of course I don't, I most likely wouldn't say something, unless I thought I could give good advice - or indeed if I thought anything was unsafe about the setup (I've seen some dodgy setups around - lighting units balancing on top of speakers etc etc)

I already told you that I am quite happy to 'judge' against my own standards, although as I said, I won't pass my opinion on to the DJ unless I thought it necessary

soundtracker
14-07-2006, 03:21 PM
I agree with St1ngo - how can we judge?
Equipment: perhaps if it is shoddy, or homemade rubbish, or not up to standard soundwise.

Appearance - Scruffy t-shirt and jeans don't cut it at a wedding.

But performance wise its all down to opinion- there is no right or wrong- usually punters will vote with their feet, but even that's not always an indication- there can be lots of reasons for people not dancing( as discussed many times before!) You may sound good in your own head- but totally grate on everyone else. :teeth:

BeerFunk
14-07-2006, 03:25 PM
I agree with St1ngo - how can we judge?
Equipment: perhaps if it is shoddy, or homemade rubbish, or not up to standard soundwise.

Appearance - Scruffy t-shirt and jeans don't cut it at a wedding.

But performance wise its all down to opinion- there is no right or wrong- usually punters will vote with their feet, but even that's not always an indication- there can be lots of reasons for people not dancing( as discussed many times before!) You may sound good in your own head- but totally grate on everyone else. :teeth:

You're assuming they are doing a decent job - what if they're not? What if they're playing The Aqua Megamix, or the Cha Cha Slide every 10th track?!

Obviously we have no place to criticise if they're not doing anything 'wrong', but if they're rubbish - they're rubbish! :)

soundtracker
14-07-2006, 03:30 PM
I never assume anything- there may be a perfectly valid reason for playing those songs frequently- it works for Radio One!

Corabar Entertainment
14-07-2006, 03:39 PM
You're assuming they are doing a decent job - what if they're not? What if they're playing The Aqua Megamix, or the Cha Cha Slide every 10th track?!How do you know that wasn't what the customer asked them to do?

BeerFunk
14-07-2006, 03:44 PM
How do you know that wasn't what the customer asked them to do?
I was basing that example on a DJ that plays in one of my locals, so obviously he has a free reign on what he plays - but he only gets paid something like £40/50 + free beer! I suppose I can't blame him at that, but he obviously has no idea what he's doing - my friends and I actually like him because we find his song selection comical :teeth:

iany
16-07-2006, 01:02 AM
Watching other DJ's at work can only help if they are not up to par.
When I'm out with the other half, I can pick faults quite easily, and sometimes spot mistakes that we all would make as well. Remember guys - nobody's perfect - we all ****-up every now and then.
You just remember seeing someone else screwing up, and you try not to make the same mistake - hence an inprovement.

I love nothing better than standing around in a club/bar disco and telling her the nemes of all the lights - what they do - how much they cost - how dirty they are - how the DJ just faded in that last song badly - his mic technique - sound levels - etc...etc....

We all do it.

Ian.

Candybeatdiscos
16-07-2006, 12:07 PM
I love watching other DJ's, i wouldn't say any are better or not as good as me, everyone to thier own blah blah blah , at the end of the day the DJ could be having a nightmare, but whose to say the night before he didn't have a stormer? At the end of the day, its the crowd and thier attitude that makes a night, us DJ's can help form a great atmosphere, play some stonking tunes etc but if crowd are in a bad mood (for reason's outside the DJ's control) there aint much we can do is there?

Back to topic tho..yes i do admit i will sit there and think to myself he is better or I could do that better ....and come on you all have to admit you find it hard to stiffle your laugfhter when he/she does a complete butcher mix