PDA

View Full Version : Tidyness.

Solitaire Events Ltd
13-07-2006, 08:44 PM
I don't know about you, but I'm very fussy about having cables showing and like everything to be stuck down, velcroed down and like everything in it's place.

But...how many times have you worked with a live band and they've got equipment everywhere. Cables all over the stage, monitors here, instruments there, nothing tied down, nothing stuck down.

So, what is the difference? People expect us as DJs to have a neat looking, tidy show, but where bands are concerned, it's all different.

Why?

We both entertain, and aim to make people dance and enjoy themselves, so why the different attitude for bands and for discos?

I was thinking about this a couple of weeks ago, when I had spent ages making sure everything was neat and in it's place, and the band arrived and just chucked stuff on the stage.

Creature
13-07-2006, 08:46 PM
thats the difference - bands arrive chuck it all together play then go - were as the disco is usually setup early and is often the last to leave

Thames Valley Discos
13-07-2006, 08:57 PM
i think its because bands are " rock n roll". people dont expect a band to be too tidy. Some groups are, just depends on the style of music they play/sing i guess.

Ricesnaps
13-07-2006, 09:01 PM
I don't know about you, but I'm very fussy about having cables showing and like everything to be stuck down, velcroed down and like everything in it's place.

But...how many times have you worked with a live band and they've got equipment everywhere. Cables all over the stage, monitors here, instruments there, nothing tied down, nothing stuck down.

So, what is the difference? People expect us as DJs to have a neat looking, tidy show, but where bands are concerned, it's all different.

Why?

We both entertain, and aim to make people dance and enjoy themselves, so why the different attitude for bands and for discos?

I was thinking about this a couple of weeks ago, when I had spent ages making sure everything was neat and in it's place, and the band arrived and just chucked stuff on the stage.

I know exactly how you feel - had a similar experiance at my "all nighter" at a Suffolk RAF base last weekend. Worse still, they had actually hired in the PA with an engineer. By the time the Mess dinner guest were nearly due I decided to help set up the lighting - not even time for a sound check the guy was so poor. It also makes me wonder how bands manage to get away with such poor sound quality too. On this occation at least half a dozen guest approached ME to ask why they couldn't hear the female lead!

dj_ags
13-07-2006, 09:55 PM
Its also good for safety reasons as well.

We always "gaffa" tape the wires and cables on the floor to prevent any injury.

This all came after i tripped over a wire that hadn't been hidden enough, resulting in me falling off a stage :embarasse but we won't go into to much detail :D

Paul James Promotions
13-07-2006, 10:05 PM
It's the usual thing, the band turns up later than us, plays for less time that us, isn't as tidy as us and gets paid more than us. Still nevermind :teeth:

st1ngo
13-07-2006, 10:14 PM
everyone gets paid more than the DJ
nothing new there

Corabar Entertainment
13-07-2006, 10:27 PM
'The Band' may get paid more ..... but you do have to remember that fee has to be split between 4, 5, 6, or even 7 of them.

There are a lot of good bands out there whose individual members don't get paid more than the DJ

Solitaire Events Ltd
13-07-2006, 10:42 PM
'The Band' may get paid more ..... but you do have to remember that fee has to be split between 4, 5, 6, or even 7 of them.

Yes, and also 4, 5, 6 or even 7 of them to load the gear, pay for the gear and pay for any other expense that's involved!

Discodaz
13-07-2006, 10:45 PM
Swings 'n' Roundabouts.

Fresh
13-07-2006, 11:05 PM
bet they do not have colour coded velcro wraps eh darren :D .... you should be proud to be so meticlous, after all the client does notice these things

Solitaire Events Ltd
13-07-2006, 11:22 PM
bet they do not have colour coded velcro wraps eh darren :D .... you should be proud to be so meticlous, after all the client does notice these things

Yeah, but my point is, why do they not expect bands to be like this too?

Corabar Entertainment
13-07-2006, 11:26 PM
I think Paul hit the nail on the head when he said that bands are expected to be a bit "Rock'n'Roll"

Solitaire Events Ltd
13-07-2006, 11:27 PM
I think Paul hit the nail on the head when he said that bands are expected to be a bit "Rock'n'Roll"

And that involves not taping cable down? :omg:

BeerFunk
14-07-2006, 12:47 AM
And that involves not taping cable down? :omg:Sid Vicious was quite frequently spotted going round the stage with a roll of tape in one hand, and a PAT testing kit in the other...

Corabar Entertainment
14-07-2006, 12:49 AM
Sid Vicious was quite frequently spotted going round the stage with a roll of tape in one hand, and a PAT testing kit in the other...PMSL! :D

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-07-2006, 12:50 AM
Sid Vicious was quite frequently spotted going round the stage with a roll of tape in one hand, and a PAT testing kit in the other...

He must have had big hands then... :teeth:

BeerFunk
14-07-2006, 12:57 AM
:teeth: Na, I don't think bands give a d*** about these things...

I do know one guitarist in a band, and he's kinda tidy and careful. He uses an old valve amp, and the power tripped once (not good for these amps apparently), and all he kept saying was 'my valves! my valves!' :D