PDA

View Full Version : PC start up problem

Daryll
19-07-2010, 05:43 PM
Not my day for things going right :(

OK.
push the start button , PC starts up . gets to the windows start screen , the one with the moving bar at the bottom of the screen ( Win xp) , then screen goes blank and that where it will stay for ever , however if I push the restart button it boots then "ATI Radeon Xpress ?1250? for Moray" , (apparently this is normal , but is usually too fast to see) is displayed in the screen for about 20 seconds , then windows starts up as normal , and yes it has the latest ATI drivers installed

any ideas , apart from buy a Mac :D

Daryll

discomobiledj
19-07-2010, 08:22 PM
What Service Pack do you have installed? Mine started doing a similar thing......then the motherboard died on me!

Daryll
19-07-2010, 08:29 PM
What Service Pack do you have installed? Mine started doing a similar thing......then the motherboard died on me!

Service pack 3 , I feel the need to cry , maybe if someone suggested a Mac ,I just might take heed :D

Daryll

discomobiledj
19-07-2010, 09:23 PM
Is the graphics card installed properly? Maybe take it out, clear the dust out and reseat the card.

Megamix
19-07-2010, 09:38 PM
OK then...buy a Mac, I did after 20+ years of PCs and never looked back

CRAZY K
19-07-2010, 09:55 PM

OK.
push the start button , PC starts up . gets to the windows start screen , the one with the moving bar at the bottom of the screen ( Win xp) , then screen goes blank and that where it will stay for ever , however if I push the restart button it boots then "ATI Radeon Xpress ?1250? for Moray" , (apparently this is normal , but is usually too fast to see) is displayed in the screen for about 20 seconds , then windows starts up as normal , and yes it has the latest ATI drivers installed

Daryll

You havent got the blue death screen yet ;)

Thats a new hard drive usually:eek:

Sounds a bit major to me--suggest you get a local Computer person on to it and save wasting time--unless someone really knows the answer.

Daryll
19-07-2010, 10:41 PM
Is the graphics card installed properly? Maybe take it out, clear the dust out and reseat the card.

I am using the on board graphics

Daryll

Booche
20-07-2010, 01:36 AM
Silly thing but try and clean all fans,cpu fan if poss find out if the cpu chip uses heatsync cream or a heatsync pad (little sticker type thing), power supply fan, check all cables as to me it does sound like a over heat issue BUT before anyone thrashes me for wrong advice etc this is just a thing id disregard firstly before going further into diagnostics

Sorry its not much advice but again without me seeing it (im more of a hands on man then trying to guess) its the best i can think of. but i will have a deeper think as i did have this is quite a while ag and a good deep clean sorted the issue :)

Cheers Dave :)

P.s. Sounds daft but have you made sure you haven't got loads of applications starting in the background when windows starts as this can sometimes make a pc react slow,freeze etc etc......

P.p.s. What memory/processor etc have you got in the system and have you installed any new applications recently ?

CRAZY K
20-07-2010, 11:59 AM

OK.

Daryll

Thinking about this if you can use the PC why not backdate it?

That solved a major problem on my new laptop;)

2Groove
20-07-2010, 02:52 PM
Hi Daryll - I'm guessing the ATI Radion screen is just the BIOS screen after the reboot, which is normal. When just after this screen disapears, tap F8 on the keyboard and this should give you an option to go in SAFE MODE. Once in Windows (SafeMode), it might be worth try to perform a system restore. To do this click START, ALL PROGRMAS, ACCESORIES, SYSTEM TOOLS. This will restore the PC back to a time whereby everything was working well as It sounds like Windows had corrupt. Hope this is of some help.

discomobiledj
20-07-2010, 03:21 PM
Hi Daryll - I'm guessing the ATI Radion screen is just the BIOS screen after the reboot, which is normal. When just after this screen disapears, tap F8 on the keyboard and this should give you an option to go in SAFE MODE. Once in Windows (SafeMode), it might be worth try to perform a system restore. To do this click START, ALL PROGRMAS, ACCESORIES, SYSTEM TOOLS. This will restore the PC back to a time whereby everything was working well as It sounds like Windows had corrupt. Hope this is of some help.

You can do a system restore with the normal start up. No need to go into safe mode

Daryll
20-07-2010, 03:26 PM
ok guys , thanks for all your help , I`ll do a system restore first.
keep you posted

Daryll