PDA

View Full Version : Faq

Shaun
21-07-2010, 08:59 AM
I'm about to update the sites FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) area. Is there anything you think should be added?

Perhaps there's some questions you wanted to know but were afraid to ask? :zip:

Perhaps you're not sure what all the forum funtions are, and not sure about one or two things?

Are you a new member and don't have much knopwlege of forums and their various user options?

If you have any forum related questions feel free to ask here.

Hopefully this thread will answer a few questions and provide some additions for the updated FAQ.

Ta. :beer1:

discomobiledj
21-07-2010, 09:37 AM
Sinbin members - no pm's etc.

Solitaire Events Ltd
21-07-2010, 11:13 AM
Sinbin members - no pm's etc.

What kind of question is that? :confused:

Corabar Entertainment
21-07-2010, 12:45 PM
The questions that seem to appear most from forum members are:-

How do I post a picture on the forum?
How do I resize pictures? (Not actually a forum question, but an associated process to allow members to post their pictures, and often asked about)
How do I quote multiple messages in my reply (Multiquote tool)?

It would be nice to have something to point members to in answer to those questions.

DeckstarDeluxe
21-07-2010, 12:47 PM
Just to throw a curveball here....

If an FAQ is too big I think people dont bother reading it at all but if its say just on one page they are more likely to read more or all of it?

Mark Wild
21-07-2010, 12:51 PM
Can I mute people so I don't have to pain myself with some of the kak they post?

Corabar Entertainment
21-07-2010, 12:52 PM
TBH, I doubt that anyone reads the FAQs at all, but more 'refer' to it if there's something they want to know.

rob1963
21-07-2010, 12:53 PM
Can I mute people so I don't have to pain myself with some of the kak they post?

Yes.

Just go to the ignore list in your user control panel, then enter my user id, click save and you're done!

:D

TBH, I doubt that anyone reads the FAQs at all, but more 'refer' to it if there's something they want to know.

To be honest, until this thread was started, I'd never even noticed there was an FAQ page...let alone looked at it!

:o

Mark Wild
21-07-2010, 12:58 PM

Isn't that the general idea of FAQ's? A point of reference rather than a good read lol

Corabar Entertainment
21-07-2010, 12:59 PM
Isn't that the general idea of FAQ's? A point of reference rather than a good read lolIMO - yes

Mark Wild
21-07-2010, 01:02 PM
IMO - yes

Mine too *goes off to read the rest of the "M" words in the dictionary* :D

Shaun
21-07-2010, 01:41 PM
To be honest, until this thread was started, I'd never even noticed there was an FAQ page...let alone looked at it!

:o

For the majority of people the FAQ won't be required as many of us have used forums for years. We do occasionally have new members that are new to online forums, and may have questions about various workings of the forum. Even some of our longer term members have difficulty with some functions; the multi quote function springs to mind.

Hopefully this thread will aid me in compiling a thorough FAQ section that we can point members toward in such circumstances.

Mark Wild
21-07-2010, 01:44 PM
the multi quote function springs to mind.

Something I've never used and would probably save me a lot of time copy and pasting, definitely one for FAQ's

Shaun
21-07-2010, 01:50 PM
Ok, so far we've got the following (thanks, Angela).

How do I post a picture on the forum?
How do I resize pictures? (Not actually a forum question, but an associated process to allow members to post their pictures, and often asked about)
How do I quote multiple messages in my reply (Multiquote tool)?

How to use the ignore feature (especially for Mark)

Keep them coming!

Penfold42
21-07-2010, 01:55 PM
Where do i find the new posts for today.

yourdj
11-04-2011, 05:59 PM
how do I change my details, avatar and signature? Not a questions a suggestion.
Why can i not edit my post? I have come back to it 11 mins later and its locked :D

A newbee section would be a great idea. all the basics answered by those who know best by trial, error and experience.

For example - Advice on buying speakers for beginners. Or types of lighting ... especially a dummies guide to PAT, PRODUB and PLI

We are all good at different things so can contribute.
It will save telling everyone that they have to introduce themselves and use the search function all the time. :)

Corabar Entertainment
11-04-2011, 06:05 PM
It will save telling everyone that they have to introduce themselves and use the search function all the time. :)No, we can just say "Please read the FAQs forum" all the time instead.

Cynical? Moi? :p :D

yourdj
11-04-2011, 06:09 PM
No, we can just say "Please read the FAQs forum" all the time instead.

Cynical? Moi? :p :D

Something diverting all new members to that would help IMO.
You could merge both sections and make the person introduce themselves before they can post in any other sections. :)
Not sure the limitations of this forum software?

I am sure Alex could hack it and brand it under Alexcellent though :p

djtrev
11-04-2011, 09:54 PM
Perhaps a glossary of terms used ie:active,passive,powered,moonflower,gobo,rms,late ncy etc