PDA

View Full Version : Headphones Sennheiser or Pioneer

Dynamic Entertainment
23-07-2010, 07:25 PM
Titles says it all really. Im in need of some new headphones. Ive had Pioneer HDJ1000's for the last 9 years and they were the mutts.

But is Sennheiser better than Pioneer...discuss please :D

Thanks muchly :)

DJ James Lake
23-07-2010, 10:00 PM
I have both Pioneer HDJ1000's and Sennheiser HD215's and I must say the sennheisers have stayed in the bag since I tried them once I cant get on with them after the pioneers.

If you try them on you'll see what I mean, the movement of the swivelling cups and flexibility of the pioneers take a lot of beating.

With the pioneers you can easily use one ear when mixing and flip them down onto your neck when you want to hear the main p.a. just cant do it with sennheisers as they only move back and dont swivel.

DeckstarDeluxe
23-07-2010, 11:55 PM
I have both Pioneer HDJ1000's and Sennheiser HD215's and I must say the sennheisers have stayed in the bag since I tried them once I cant get on with them after the pioneers.

If you try them on you'll see what I mean, the movement of the swivelling cups and flexibility of the pioneers take a lot of beating.

With the pioneers you can easily use one ear when mixing and flip them down onto your neck when you want to hear the main p.a. just cant do it with sennheisers as they only move back and dont swivel.

I second word for word what James has said. Pioneers all the way for me

Dynamic Entertainment
24-07-2010, 12:27 AM
Thank you. I know from experience that the Pioneers are good...but maybe fancied a change...maybe not ;)

DeckstarDeluxe
24-07-2010, 12:29 AM
Thank you. I know from experience that the Pioneers are good...but maybe fancied a change...maybe not ;)

Well I use AKG ones which for forty quid are brilliant but not on a par with Pioneer. Hard to suggest anything thats better really?

yourdj
24-07-2010, 01:13 AM
i use £10 numark ones. I do club gigs etc. and heavy mixing and do fine?

I did buy some £100 ones but could not see the value to be honest?

Im sure the one you mention are better and may not damage hearing as much.

Mark Wild
24-07-2010, 02:12 AM
I use the Sennheiser HD 25 MK 2's and really like them, they're light, comfy and get rid of masses of noise with their decent closed cup, I know a few of the guys use them on here. I can't compare them to Pioneer though because I've never used them. :p

i use £10 numark ones. I do club gigs etc. and heavy mixing and do fine?

I did buy some £100 ones but could not see the value to be honest?

Im sure the one you mention are better and may not damage hearing as much.

£10 Numark Headphones for "heavy mixing" in clubs? What's the sound isolation like on those Toby? What kind of sound system do they use at the club gigs you do? I'd say a decent closed cup is of importance for most DJ's and I doubt £10 Numarks would suffice?

DJ Jules
24-07-2010, 10:30 AM
I use the Sennheiser HD 25 MK 2's and really like them, they're light, comfy and get rid of masses of noise with their decent closed cup, I know a few of the guys use them on here. I can't compare them to Pioneer though because I've never used them. :p

I had the same dilemma a while ago, I ended up going for the Sennheisers because of the very high isolation level (it's excellent), vs the Pioneers which just had high output. The HD25's have a one swivelling ear cup which makes them easy to use. The principle reason I made the choice this way was because I value my hearing so preferred to reduce the noise level I exposed my ears to, rather than adding to it :)

Great sound for home listening too. Incidentally, I tried Numark, Cortex and a few other cheaper styles (< £50) in the same session as the Senny's and was completely blown away by the difference. I had absolutely no hesitation in parting with the money once I'd heard the difference in isolation and quality. Unfortunately, when I was trialling I didn't get to hear the Pioneers so made the decision between Senny and Pioneer based on the specs on paper.

Julian

Solitaire Events Ltd
24-07-2010, 12:14 PM

Snap. :)

Shaun
24-07-2010, 12:14 PM
I absolutely love my Sennheiser's. I doubt I'd ever use anything else.

flatliners
24-07-2010, 01:46 PM
i have the pioneer hdj 1000 and i love them but have you heard the beats by dr dre headphones they put pioneer to shame

Dynamic Entertainment
24-07-2010, 05:33 PM
Ive a mate dropping round his hd25s, so ill try and make an informed choice.

The issue i had with sennys is that in all the photos they look very flimsy.

Paul S
25-07-2010, 03:40 PM
HD-25's all the way for me. They have blown away everything else I tried. That being said, there will always be an element of personal preference.

rob1963
25-07-2010, 03:50 PM
I give up.

What are headphones?

:confused:

Mark Wild
25-07-2010, 04:11 PM
I give up.

What are headphones?

:confused:

Why even bother in this thread Rob? You've made it perfectly clear you're a DJ who doesn't use headphones ;)

rob1963
25-07-2010, 04:16 PM
Why even bother in this thread Rob? You've made it perfectly clear you're a DJ who doesn't use headphones ;)

No, I've made it perfectly clear I don't use headphones VERY OFTEN.

To answer your question, it was an attempt at humour.

DeckstarDeluxe
25-07-2010, 04:22 PM
Just to point out guys the thread is about comparing two different brands of headphones. If your not going to post to help the OP then can I suggest starting a different thread. Thanks

rob1963
25-07-2010, 04:23 PM
:sorry:

Shakermaker Promotions
25-07-2010, 04:39 PM
I use Sennheiser's. I couldn't tell you what make they are but I've had them around 10 years. Cracking headphones.

DJ James Lake
25-07-2010, 05:27 PM
The HD25's have a one swivelling ear cup which makes them easy to use.

I totally disagree, they only rotate backwards to 90 degrees, the pioneers rotate, swivel and can also be flipped right over to use only one cup hand held, if you use HD25's after Pioneers you will find they are actually very infelxible in comparison and very awkward to use.

If anyone wants a cheap pair PM me cause I cant stand them.

Dynamic Entertainment
25-07-2010, 05:34 PM
Well guys....I've just had a play with the Sennys...and i hate them....

Well maybe hate isnt the word...sound quality is excellent, but the way they feel on my head is just wrong, I cant monitor easily how i like to because they are inflexible (but i could probably get used to them if i had to), and l like to actually know i still have headphones round my neck ;)

DJ James Lake
25-07-2010, 05:45 PM
Well guys....I've just had a play with the Sennys...and i hate them....

Well maybe hate isnt the word...sound quality is excellent, but the way they feel on my head is just wrong, I cant monitor easily how i like to because they are inflexible (but i could probably get used to them if i had to), and l like to actually know i still have headphones round my neck ;)

I thought you'd feel that way after the Pioneers.

Me I'd love these but the HDJ100s are still going strong after 3 years of abuse from my roadie who has a habit of breaking all other makes.

http://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR279089

Dynamic Entertainment
25-07-2010, 05:53 PM
Yeah...id love the 2000s...but the 1000s will do for the price tag ;)

kilmeedyman
25-07-2010, 06:05 PM
I had the same dilemma a while ago, I ended up going for the Sennheisers because of the very high isolation level (it's excellent), vs the Pioneers which just had high output. The HD25's have a one swivelling ear cup which makes them easy to use. The principle reason I made the choice this way was because I value my hearing so preferred to reduce the noise level I exposed my ears to, rather than adding to it :)

Concur completely, especially re. volume levels!

Dynamic Entertainment
25-07-2010, 06:12 PM
Concur completely, especially re. volume levels!

The better answer for me...turn down the headphone volume ;)

I just couldnt get used to the senny's feel :o

yourdj
25-07-2010, 08:45 PM
What kind of sound system do they use at the club gigs you do?

Two Tapco thumps. :p

My garden gig on Sundays :D

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_044PTfUkGaA/TER6yjW9yPI/AAAAAAAACZg/PZtHesuBw4c/s320/IMG_6786.jpg

i have used the numarks in clubs with no problems.
i mainly use the headphones with the both tracks playing in the head phones and the bass of the playing track.

A good monitor helps?

i feel I did not need the £100 ones i bought for mobile use as the £15 ones do fine.
More than fine actually as they are much smaller and easier to keep on my head.

I don't look such a berk aswell.

Dynamic Entertainment
25-07-2010, 09:09 PM
I have a pair of the ones below (given free with an order), and they are aweful. They are far too distorted, dont block out any background noise and are very inflexible.

NKR
25-07-2010, 09:14 PM
I use Senny's on my head. Like them. Would buy more Senny's.

Ecstatic Events
27-07-2010, 01:37 PM
Toby,

How can you say you've used the £10 Numarks in clubs without issues??

I have gone through so many cans throughout my career so far and would only ever buy sennheiser or pioneer. I have personally owned numerous pairs of HDJ-1000, HD-25 and HD-25sp - All are equally as good IMO

For mobile Jocks I couldn't think of a better pair of cans other than HD-25sp - as they are discreet, lightweight and very flexible...

For Clubs, its the HDJ-1000 - Using your £10 Numark headphones, I wouldn't survive an hour in a Club Environment and would have a better chance mixing a cake!

HD-25SP ALL THE WAY (for mobile jocks!)

Shaun
27-07-2010, 09:10 PM
Using your £10 Numark headphones, I wouldn't survive an hour in a Club Environment and would have a better chance mixing a cake!

Never mind an hour, during my 6 years in clubs I had the same set of no name brand cheap crap headphones and they served me perfectly. If recollection serves me correctly they were 'Tandy' brand (that'll tell you how long ago it was, and how crap they were, I don't think they even cost a tenner!). In hindsight a better pair would have served me better, but I got by just fine and well with the 'el-cheapos' thank you very much, and mixed up the tunes perfectly well.

Dynamic Entertainment
27-07-2010, 09:25 PM
Never mind an hour, during my 6 years in clubs I had the same set of no name brand cheap crap headphones and they served me perfectly. If recollection serves me correctly they were 'Tandy' brand (that'll tell you how long ago it was, and how crap they were, I don't think they even cost a tenner!). In hindsight a better pair would have served me better, but I got by just fine and well with the 'el-cheapos' thank you very much, and mixed up the tunes perfectly well.

And are now deaf as a post ;)

Shaun
27-07-2010, 09:33 PM
And are now deaf as a post ;)

I am partially deaf in one ear as it happens. :o

Still, the sub-tenner headphones lasted for 6 years.

Pardon, did you say something else?

DJ Jules
27-07-2010, 09:37 PM
I am partially deaf in one ear as it happens. :o

It doesn't happen to be the ear you normally take the headphone off would it?

This is kind of why I bought the Sennheisers, I have enough problems with hearing and my inner ear (balance) as it is.

Julian

Shaun
27-07-2010, 09:47 PM
It doesn't happen to be the ear you normally take the headphone off would it?

It is indeed. Hearing problems is unfortunately a hereditory condition from my mothers side of the family, so it's hard to tel if it's the job or the genes that the issue. I also have a mild case of tinitus, which I attribute to the job.

DJ Jules
27-07-2010, 09:53 PM
It is indeed. Hearing problems is unfortunately a hereditory condition from my mothers side of the family, so it's hard to tel if it's the job or the genes that the issue. I also have a mild case of tinitus, which I attribute to the job.

I've got the tinitus, which I do attribute to the job - thankfully I don't have the hearing loss at the moment. But it's funny how you're now the third DJ I know who's "listening ear" is suffering...

Julian

rob1963
27-07-2010, 11:33 PM
I've got the tinitus, which I do attribute to the job - thankfully I don't have the hearing loss at the moment. But it's funny how you're now the third DJ I know who's "listening ear" is suffering...

Julian

I don't have tinitus, but my hearing has been getting worse, especially over the last decade, and I'm sure it's because I spend so much time near loudspeakers.

I'm fine in a one on one situation, but add in background noise such as people chatting or music & I really struggle.

Last Saturday, someone was literally shouting a request into my ear...but I still had no idea what she was saying.

:(

yourdj
28-07-2010, 01:02 AM
Never mind an hour, during my 6 years in clubs I had the same set of no name brand cheap crap headphones and they served me perfectly.

I use the numark ones listed with no issues. I mix in my head phones and not had any real issues even in clubs :)

Ecstatic Events
28-07-2010, 10:03 AM
'Tandy' brand (that'll tell you how long ago it was, and how crap they were, I don't think they even cost a tenner!)

I doubt there were a wide range of decent headphones to choose from back then!

Sound isolation is what I'm talking about, booming club. Loud monitors. I've been in positions where I have HAD to use cheap cans and it was a struggle for me personally...

Mobile DJ'ing is completely different, 80% of the time I'm not even wearing heaphones :cool:

Shaun
28-07-2010, 10:14 AM
80% of the time I'm not even wearing heaphones :cool:

You'e not related to Rob are you?

:d

Ecstatic Events
28-07-2010, 10:30 AM
You'e not related to Rob are you?:d

No, alot more handsome judging by the avatar!

I find that its not always necessary to beat mix in a mobile environment, its all about blending and mic work for me

Still think you cant go wrong with the HD-25SP's for mobile! :D

MBK
28-07-2010, 11:12 AM
I have tried the HD 25's but there wan no comparison to the Pioneers for me.

Tried the sony range to but found that the cord was too flimsy and not long enough.

So for my the winner is Pioneer HDJ 1000's but buyer beware as there are a lot of fakes about.....

yourdj
05-08-2010, 12:05 AM
I use the numark ones listed with no issues. I mix in my head phones and not had any real issues even in clubs :)

I retract my statement ;) . just finished a very noisy club gig in the Whitehouse - Soton and YES good headphones are (not paramount but...) important.

I did fine with my numarks but with heavy mixing on more than 2 decks (in a proper club) it not very easy :( .

Im also bringing earplugs next week to cut out high noise of stupid girl shouting in your ear :mad:

Supreme Soundz
13-03-2011, 10:00 PM
i use the technics rpdj 1210 headphones love them found the pioneer cups to large and sennys were just bendy plastic the pair i tried also had non coiled cables and silly plugs on the cups which i could see getting pulled out

Twinspin
13-03-2011, 10:43 PM
I used Sennheiser HD215s

http://images.trustedreviews.com/images/article/inline/1311-2.jpg

ive had them 3 years and they still are in good condition. They cancel out external noise pretty well as well cost about £55/£60

Andy Goodtimes
16-03-2011, 02:13 AM
Sorry not read all the thread...But, I have some Sennhiser that are prob the same as John's, they cost about £50 - £60 and are a couple of years old and going strong. I do have some Pioneer something like HDC200 or HDC2000, they cost knocking on for £200 if I remember correctly and they are IMO better quality but I think the Sennhiser are good enough really, maybe my Pioneers sound better as I hook them up to Pioneer kit.

I also have some American DJ that were only £20 or less and they are resonable and good value.

I keep all my headphones in Slappa hard cases and I think that's essential to keep them good.