PDA

View Full Version : Original v Remanufactured Printer Toners

ppentertainments
23-07-2010, 10:22 PM
I need a complete set of new toners for my HP Colour Laser Printer. The price of these have shot up and will cost around £240 for a full set of original toners.

With the inkjet printers (mainly personal / draft usage) I have used remanufactured cartridges. Apart from not seeming to last long they are fine.

With the laser printer, I have always used genuine toners, but wondered if anyone has experience of remanufactured toners and whether the quality etc is any different ??

Anyone any reccomendations for retailers of toners ??

Corabar Entertainment
23-07-2010, 10:32 PM
...wondered if anyone has experience of remanufactured toners and whether the quality etc is any different ??Yes, and my advice is 'don't bother': quality not as good, and lasted about 5 minutes (slight exaggeration ;) ). Mind you, I've never been happy with the quality of any compatible inkjet cartridges either: to me, there's a noticeable difference in quality (not so much when you first put them in, but after a short time the quality seems to drop off dramatically when compared to original cartridges)....

...so whether it's just me being a fussy :Censored: , who knows? :)

DJMaxG
23-07-2010, 10:53 PM
Crikey

How much printing do you do to require a laser machine?
How many A4 sheets do you get out of a cartridge?

Do the cartridges need replacing often, or does it last you quite a while?

Pe7e
24-07-2010, 01:15 AM
is any different ??

Anyone any reccomendations for retailers of toners ??

Check THIS GUY (http://shop.ebay.co.uk/crazy-printers/m.html?_trkparms=65%253A1%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A 1&_ipg=&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14.l1513&_pgn=1)out, I've had a few 'exceptional' buys off him, cheap as chips for pre owned, high end, pro printers and genuine consumables,

notroubleclubber
24-07-2010, 09:20 AM
Ive got an inkjet and always used non-originals.
They have always lasted just as long and the print quality the same. I can get the 4 colours i need for my epson bx300f for £3.49 from the bay of E where as they would cost £30+ from the shops.

TonyB
24-07-2010, 10:57 AM
Remanufactured toner cartridges are a bit of a lottery. You can get a good one or they will start printing lines or other problems before the toner in them runs out. I have worked in offices in the past where I would say about 1 in 5 would cause a problem before the toner run out. Usually they were sent back for replacement.

I have a black and white laser printer. The one remanufactured toner cartridge I bought was no good after about a couple of months whereas an original cartridge will last over a year.

I keep an eye out on Ebay and buy the originals. Very often they become available from people that have bought them but no longer have the printer or from office clearances (been a lot of closed down offices lately!).

Very often they aren't "remanufactured", just refilled and the rollers are already nearly at end of life so don't last long.

This from HP http://www.hp.com/sbso/product/supplies/toner-cartridge-refill.html may seem like marketing blurb but I would say is pretty true.

Solitaire Events Ltd
24-07-2010, 11:02 AM
Ive got an inkjet and always used non-originals.
They have always lasted just as long and the print quality the same.

How would you know that if you've always used non originals?:confused:

Creature
24-07-2010, 11:34 AM
as a retired computer engineer i can honestly say stay clear of NON ORIGINAL Tonor carts not are they only a false economy they also leak everywhere - just ring up andf find out how much its gonna cost to have an engineer come around and strip your printer down. The mono lasres were bad enough but the colour lasers are a nightmare.

They also invalidate your warrenty - and as part of teh call out we had to take samples of teh spilt tonor and send of for analasys.

As has been mentioned before Ebay is a great place for picking up genuines tonors. I run a HP LasterJet 4 Plus - new origiginal tonors £69.00 on Ebay pick em up for around £25.00 - depending on coverage tonor cart lasts around 10,000 pages

notroubleclubber
24-07-2010, 01:05 PM
How would you know that if you've always used non originals?:confused:

Obviously the originals would have been with the printer when i bought it!

However im using an inkjet not toner so by the sound of other replies this isnt the same.

JamesXP
24-07-2010, 01:26 PM
don't the cartridges that come with the printer generally have not has much ink/toner as the brand new ones?

not sure, I think I read that somewhere.

Corabar Entertainment
24-07-2010, 01:30 PM
Yes. Most are half full (at best)

DJMaxG
24-07-2010, 01:32 PM
10,000 pages (unless youre a printers really) would last years

The laser machines seem worth it ;)

Would you say that the colour laser printers are as good quality, equal to, or better than youre typical deskjet or photo printer? I would be interested to know.
Max

TonyB
24-07-2010, 01:45 PM
Wouldn't know if they have less toner, I've never bought a new one. Second hand black and white laser printers are so cheap on Ebay, I just get another one when they start flashing up warnings about needing a service. There are a couple of IT recycling places near me that sell them cheap and I give them the old one when I collect another one!

Megamix
24-07-2010, 01:46 PM
I've got to say I've been disappointed with compatible / re-manufactured toner - although half the price it runs out very quickly and a recent one was faulty. I'm now probably biting the bullet and going back to originals.
(compatible Ink Jet cartridges have been in the main much better)

RabbittsKaraoke
24-07-2010, 02:20 PM
I have a HP laser printer but it's just a mono one.

My current toner has just run out, which has lasted me 12 months (6000 pages). It was a compatible one from Impega (lyreco's own make) and I found no difference in quality and I think it lasted me just as long as the original HP one.

Not sure about colour laser toners though - never used one.