PDA

View Full Version : any techies in here

smoothgrooves
24-07-2010, 05:19 PM
i have a 160gb hdd full of music i plugged it in other day and it wont read properly

i mean it wont show in my computer is in device manager but no show anyone can help me it would be much appreciated

JamesXP
24-07-2010, 05:36 PM
If you right click 'My computer' and go to 'Manage' then go to 'Disk Management'

You should see it there, you will have to right click it and assign it a drive letter, be sure to eject the drive properly, don't plug it out immediately, this could cause data loss.

smoothgrooves
24-07-2010, 09:39 PM
If you right click 'My computer' and go to 'Manage' then go to 'Disk Management'

You should see it there, you will have to right click it and assign it a drive letter, be sure to eject the drive properly, don't plug it out immediately, this could cause data loss.

no nothin

Vectis
24-07-2010, 10:48 PM
Sure your Produb hasn't expired? :sofa:

discomobiledj
24-07-2010, 10:55 PM
Try a different USB cable. If that fails then your hard drive is saying goodbye!

DJMaxG
24-07-2010, 11:10 PM
Is the drive spinning inside?
Can you hear anything moving?
Are any LED lights on?

Does the computer play a tone to indicate that it is connected?

(The fault could be down to many things)

notroubleclubber
25-07-2010, 10:00 AM
I have found with my external drive is it doesnt get recognised when plugging in after startup as the virus checker sees it when plugged in and blocks it.
Try plugging it in before starting the pc and if that dont work try turning off the virus checker then plug it in.

smoothgrooves
25-07-2010, 10:39 AM
it is an ide hdd in an enclosure the computer does recognise its there and its "spinning" but still no joy

Alchemy
25-07-2010, 12:39 PM
Try Googling Hard drive recovery utilities there are loads about, most are free and they may help. Good luck

DJMaxG
25-07-2010, 12:46 PM
Has it worked before, or is this the first time that youre trying it?
Has it suddenly stopped working (in other words)?

Corabar Entertainment
25-07-2010, 12:49 PM
Has it worked before, or is this the first time that youre trying it?
Has it suddenly stopped working (in other words)?Since we've been told it's got music on it, it must have been working previously, Max

DJMaxG
25-07-2010, 12:54 PM
Am I right in thinking that it has been working on another PC before?

It could just be a case of not being installed yet, Every HDD has to be installed once initially connected, regardless of what Windows operating system you use. The Computer will usually conduct this process automatically for you, or something will pop up in the corner to aqknowledge the connection of such device.

Has it been working on This PC before?

Excalibur
25-07-2010, 01:49 PM
I have had failure of the USB cable allow the HD to be seen, but not accessed. Changing the cable cured it.

smoothgrooves
25-07-2010, 05:16 PM
i have used it many of times i have got everything on there i think ill need to take a trip to hmv to get some music if not

Corabar Entertainment
25-07-2010, 05:47 PM
i have used it many of times i have got everything on there i think ill need to take a trip to hmv to get some music if notDo you not have your collection backed up? Were the tracks originally ripped from CD / downloaded, etc?

Excalibur
25-07-2010, 05:50 PM
i have used it many of times i have got everything on there i think ill need to take a trip to hmv to get some music if not

Please tell me you've got it backed up somewhere. I don't expect contingency plans a la Vectis, but only one drive is asking for trouble. :(

rob1963
25-07-2010, 10:38 PM
Please tell me you've got it backed up somewhere. I don't expect contingency plans a la Vectis, but only one drive is asking for trouble. :(

I was thinking the same thing.

I'm hardly known for my back up, but even I have my entire music collection on 5 different hard drives.

:confused:

deltic
26-07-2010, 10:03 AM
take it out of the enlosure set jumper on back as slave and wack it in your computer as a slave drive see if you can access it then

smoothgrooves
26-07-2010, 11:16 AM

nope

Vectis
26-07-2010, 11:24 AM
nope

Friend of mine had a crash and couldn't recover from his time machine. Apparently he contacted Apple and they re-enabled all of the previously downloaded content on his iTunes account and the next time he went in, several hundred songs started downloading again. Start here http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/

Presumably other download services offer a similar mechanism, but I wouldn't know about that. Try contacting them.

Alternatively, if you're working with CD rips, you better get busy :p

Corabar Entertainment
26-07-2010, 12:08 PM
Friend of mine had a crash and couldn't recover from his time machine. Apparently he contacted Apple and they re-enabled all of the previously downloaded content on his iTunes account and the next time he went in, several hundred songs started downloading again. Start here http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/

Presumably other download services offer a similar mechanism, but I wouldn't know about that. Try contacting them.

Alternatively, if you're working with CD rips, you better get busy :pWhich is why I asked where the music originally came from (but the question was obviously missed) :)

Excalibur
26-07-2010, 01:39 PM

Alternatively, if you're working with CD rips, you better get busy :p
7Digital hold them on file, and you can download them more than once. Amazon, I'm not so sure.

Which is why I asked where the music originally came from (but the question was obviously missed) :)

Ah. You're too good for this place. :o :o :o :o :o :o :o