PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Reading!

Corabar Entertainment
16-07-2006, 10:34 PM
Many of you may have heard things recently saying that the average wedding now costs over £17K. :omg:

I recently received a promo copy of a wedding magazine (wanted us to advertise in there) and they had a breakdown of how that total sum is broken down. I thought some of you might be interested, so here it is.... remember, these are AVERAGE costs!!!

Thames Valley Discos
16-07-2006, 10:42 PM
Interesting to see flowers are as much as entertainment. No PLI needed, no PAT test needed, no one moaning that they are not to their liking. Funny old game! I cant remember ever taking notice of flowers at a wedding!

Solitaire Events Ltd
16-07-2006, 10:45 PM
I would have thought the cake would have been more though.

I might need to borrow a few facts off that list Ang - if that's OK?

Corabar Entertainment
16-07-2006, 10:47 PM
Not my article! and the way the figures are being quoted on so many different TV programmes and in so many different publications, I assume that it is information in the public domain, and therefore free for all (hence my posting it)

Paul James Promotions
16-07-2006, 10:51 PM
Looks like i've got some saving up to do :omg:

Corabar Entertainment
16-07-2006, 10:52 PM
You getting married then Jamie?

Paul James Promotions
16-07-2006, 11:00 PM
April 2008

Solitaire Events Ltd
16-07-2006, 11:12 PM
And if you're looking for a DJ....

Paul James Promotions
16-07-2006, 11:14 PM
Actually, I may be looking for a good DJ...

Do you know anyone? :teeth: :teeth:

Digitalsounds
16-07-2006, 11:42 PM
i know one hes not to far from you and hes the best

nudge nudge wink wink

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-07-2006, 12:00 AM
Actually, I may be looking for a good DJ...

Do you know anyone? :teeth: :teeth:

I do... :teeth:

I wouldn't go local though.... :teeth:

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-07-2006, 12:05 AM
Actually, looking at the title of this thread again, I thought you were talking about where I live Ang.

(Must stop posting whilst drinking...)

Corabar Entertainment
17-07-2006, 12:07 AM
Actually, looking at the title of this thread again, I thought you were talking about where I live Ang.

(Must stop posting whilst drinking...)
:omg: Fine.....!

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-07-2006, 12:23 AM
:omg: Fine.....!

Cos it can be really interesting, here in Reading. :teeth:

Corabar Steve
17-07-2006, 10:34 AM
Not whenever I've been there, apart from that little pub on the main drag (oppoite the shopping centre) that doesn't allow mobile phones & serves all the obscure ales :beer: The Hobgoblin???? (I think?) :teeth:

Have a disco
17-07-2006, 01:14 PM
think I might go into video photography easy money or just plain pro photo taking I can do all that stuff easier money

wensleydale
17-07-2006, 05:50 PM
i can say from experience that some of those figures are very conservative "averages".
still, at least i'm saving £488 I suppose........

Paul James Promotions
17-07-2006, 06:06 PM
i can say from experience that some of those figures are very conservative "averages".
still, at least i'm saving £488 I suppose........

Are you DJing at your own wedding then? :teeth: :teeth:

+Scooby+
17-07-2006, 07:58 PM
IMHO they have missed out loads of things; we have a page for calculating costs:

http://www.surround-sounds.co.uk/wedding_budget.php (http://www.surround-sounds.co.uk/wedding_budget.php)

I deliberately didn’t put in the average costing as I think if a couple uses that calculator for the first time and inserts what they think is right then it gives them a reality check on the real total.

wensleydale
17-07-2006, 08:12 PM
kind of- i'm allowed a half hour live slot, my mate is doing half an hour and we will pre- record the rest.
Don't want to pay £488 and then spend the whole night going- he should be playing this now....

Digitalsounds
17-07-2006, 11:43 PM
kind of- i'm allowed a half hour live slot, my mate is doing half an hour and we will pre- record the rest.
Don't want to pay £488 and then spend the whole night going- he should be playing this now....

:mad: :sad: Pre recorded !!! (Cheap Skate)

How the hell do you know in advance what your crowd will want to listen too, live is better live is good how can you have a pre recorded disco,

go down the pub :beer: rip out the juke box you will do better :teeth: :embarasse

Paul James Promotions
18-07-2006, 12:11 AM
:mad: :sad: Pre recorded !!! (Cheap Skate)

How the hell do you know in advance what your crowd will want to listen too, live is better live is good how can you have a pre recorded disco,

go down the pub :beer: rip out the juke box you will do better :teeth: :embarasse

Wouldn't be too difficult to compile a playlist that will keep most people happy. Besides, i'm sure he / someone else could take over if the pre recording empties the floor :teeth: :teeth:

wensleydale
18-07-2006, 06:31 AM
apologies digitalsounds- i thought i had some say in my wedding.

can you honestly tell me that most weddings you do are not very similar in terms of the music you want.

and how is this any different to a bride and groom giving a dj an extensive playlist.

my wedding.
my choice.

have a nice day.

dj andy allwood
18-07-2006, 07:01 AM
when i first read that wedding list i thought it was gonna say entertainment £50 lol surprised they put that much but that wouldnt just be the dj's fee would it?

Digitalsounds
18-07-2006, 09:39 AM
no your right most weddings are similar but,

i dont see the point in not havin a proper disco to do the job and yes you know you would be there saying i would do it this way not this way but at the end of the day it is your wedding and its another hassle to sort out and to worry about on the day if it goes wrong im sure you would know a jock who you can trust to deal with the event for you even if it costs. trust me i going there myself next month and i got 2 superb blokes to deal with mine should be a good night as long as he dont turn up with a karaoke machine and a tv.

Paul James Promotions
18-07-2006, 02:24 PM
When you say 'pre recorded', do you mean exactly that, or do you mean DJ software set to auto? At least then you or someone else could change the music if needed....

wensleydale
18-07-2006, 06:30 PM
will prob mix a few 1 hour sets and then play them b ack on the pc.
throw a couple of half hour stints in from me, the best man, and the job as they say is a good 'un.

much rather do this than get someone else in and risk ening up with someone like the wedding i went to on sat where they talk all night and have a v basic set up.

surely my wedding day is the one day where i can have complete control over the disco?

Ricesnaps
18-07-2006, 06:45 PM
will prob mix a few 1 hour sets and then play them b ack on the pc.
throw a couple of half hour stints in from me, the best man, and the job as they say is a good 'un.

much rather do this than get someone else in and risk ening up with someone like the wedding i went to on sat where they talk all night and have a v basic set up.

surely my wedding day is the one day where i can have complete control over the disco?
Well rather you than me - I'm sure your lovely bride will be well chuffed with that arrangement. I know mine would have absolutely KILLED me if I'd suggested that. It was bad enough that I brought my own smoke machine.

In all honesty, I probably couldn;t tell you more than two songs that our DJ played (and I knew him well) and I can't even remember the band. Trust me, you won't be wandering around getting wound up with what the DJ is doing, you simply won't have time to even notice!

Save the grief, get someone you know and trust (or who has a great reputation) to do it for you - or book a band!

wensleydale
18-07-2006, 06:54 PM
a dj suggesting a band.
what is going on?
i give up.
surely you wanted to do it because you wanted the day to be right and that is what you do?
ah well, i'll take my chances

Digitalsounds
18-07-2006, 10:32 PM
Not a chance in hell will you be able to dj your own wedding correctly or proffesionally lets look what there is to worry about.

firstly have to worry about getting the gear to the venue on the wedding day ok yoou may do this before but she wont be too happy really will she.

secondly once its there and your set up you will be wanting to mingle with your guests and family so it will fall in to the back of your mindat times.

third what happens when the pc crashs or something fails and theres no one behind the decks.

What im gettin at, at the end of the day is it worth it really you are suposed to enjoy your day with your partner/wife why hav the worry of undertaking your own disco too. im sure others will agree or i will get shot down in flames.

but i know what my other half wants for our wedding next month.

Solitaire Events Ltd
18-07-2006, 10:44 PM
I have to say, I kind of agree with digital.

I understand your reasons for wanting to do it, but there will be so much else for you to concentrate on and enjoy without worrying about the disco.

I got married 10 years ago, and there was no-way that I was going to be involved with it! Mind you, there was 12 other DJs at the wedding, plus the one doing the reception, and he knew what I wanted and expected.

Shaun
18-07-2006, 10:57 PM
I understand your reasons for wanting to do it, but there will be so much else for you to concentrate on and enjoy without worrying about the disco.

I couldn't agree more.

wensleydale, I think you may have under-estimated how little time you'll have to worry about the music if you decide to do the music yourself.

If your minds made up, then I sincerely wish you and your bride a fantastic day. :)

Solitaire Events Ltd
18-07-2006, 10:57 PM
If your minds made up, then I sincerely wish you and your bride a fantastic day. :)

Me too! :)

Good luck.

Candybeatdiscos
19-07-2006, 07:37 AM
Good luck mate...but best just not to get married - just sleep with her most evenings..

Candybeatdiscos
19-07-2006, 07:38 AM
that was a joke btw

Corabar Entertainment
19-07-2006, 10:30 AM
Jonah (who was one of the original founders of Corabar, and who has since emigrated) got married a few years back. They had the wedding abroad, but had a 'reception' back here afterwards.

Steve (who was kind of acting in the 'Best Man' role) took the gear down to the venue. Steve acted as main DJ, but Jonah and Laurence (who was also a guest) also took 'turns' (nothing pre-recorded) ...... and it all worked out fine.

I understand what everyone is saying about not having time, etc, but if you have enough help, and someone else to sort out the gear (including taking it away) - I can understand why you want to do it rather than getting someone else in (although I'm obviously in the minority on this one! :) )

Good luck with it all! :teeth:

Corabar Steve
19-07-2006, 12:18 PM
We did take the gear out of the venue the next morning though.

wensleydale
19-07-2006, 09:16 PM
thanks angela- thats what we have planned- i take gear down friday, do the dead sat, best man sets up and puts the pre recorded stuff on, i do my half hour, am happy, and then gear gets left in the venue until the morning.

too late now- all planned.

you pays you money you takes your choice. or in this case you don't pay yuo money.

Paul James Promotions
19-07-2006, 09:17 PM
I'll have the guys set me up a nice rig :D

Corabar Steve
20-07-2006, 06:34 PM
thanks angela- thats what we have planned- i take gear down friday, do the dead sat,
:omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: