PDA

View Full Version : cd ripping sotware

gharbud
01-08-2010, 10:40 PM
hi all i am going to start ripping cd's to an external hdd drive, just want to know what software is good and is thier any which find the song titles for you, thanks graham

Corabar Steve
01-08-2010, 10:43 PM
Audiograbber is your friend

DeckstarDeluxe
01-08-2010, 10:45 PM
Hi Graham,

Was a couple of years ago I did mine but I used windows media player as most times it would fill in the artist and track for you by downloading the information off the net.

Corabar Steve
01-08-2010, 10:46 PM
As does Audiograbber

DeckstarDeluxe
01-08-2010, 10:52 PM
What I would say also Graham is look into the whole 320k mp3 or Wav files.

On higher end sound systems WAV's sound much better than mp3 but most systems used on here mp3's are more than ok to use.

Also Wav's take up roughly ten times more disk space too.

Corabar Steve
01-08-2010, 10:54 PM
Audiograbber again then :sj:

rob1963
01-08-2010, 11:09 PM
most times it would fill in the artist and track for you by downloading the information off the net.

Nine times out of ten it's accurate, but when you're ripping thousands of tracks, that's an awful lot of incorrectly tagged songs.

Booche
01-08-2010, 11:19 PM
Dont forget Produb ;)

:sofa:

Cheers Dave :)

Dynamic Entertainment
01-08-2010, 11:28 PM
Dont forget Produb ;)

:sofa:

Jesus...we got to a whole 8th post before it cropped up ;) :D

Booche
01-08-2010, 11:34 PM
Jesus...we got to a whole 8th post before it cropped up ;) :D

:p better late then never lol

robbiedj
02-08-2010, 08:23 AM
Nine times out of ten it's accurate, but when you're ripping thousands of tracks, that's an awful lot of incorrectly tagged songs.

Yes, Media Player has a habit of picking wrong albums. It particularly seems to be unable to distinguish Now cds from one another.

Come to think of it, I often have that problem, too. :D

rob1963
02-08-2010, 08:27 AM
Yes, Media Player has a habit of picking wrong albums. It particularly seems to be unable to distinguish Now cds from one another.

From what I can tell, all tagging software is unreliable, as it seems to take information from what's been posted manually by people on the internet...often incorrectly.

Vectis
02-08-2010, 08:43 AM
From what I can tell, all tagging software is unreliable, as it seems to take information from what's been posted manually by people on the internet...often incorrectly.

Apart from which the supposedly unique identifier on some older CDs were reallocated. This seems to happen more often than not with compilations.

Steve the DJ
02-08-2010, 08:54 AM
For me the best CD ripping software by far is Exact Audio Copy (http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/). Couple that with Tag & Rename (http://www.softpointer.com/tr.htm) to keep everything tidy and sort out any tagging issues.

Megamix
02-08-2010, 09:26 AM
i used iTunes for 11,000 tracks and it's been surprisingly accurate both tagging info and quality

rob1963
02-08-2010, 09:32 AM
i used iTunes for 11,000 tracks and it's been surprisingly accurate both tagging info and quality

I also used itunes, but found the tagging info to be far from accurate.

Apart from some instances where the track & artist were both completely wrong, there were a number of tracks where the artist was in the title field & vice versa.

Also, there were loads of smaller errors concerning spelling & grammar.

I found the only thing to do was to let the database fill in the tracks, then while they were ripping to check every single one against the CD box, and make the amendements as I went along.

On the CDs I ripped, I would say that only about 90% of the tags were completely correct.

gharbud
02-08-2010, 05:38 PM
thanks for the reply guys, will try out audiograbber first, produb license brought by the way, another quickie i have just broght a external hdd when you store tracks on their do you store them in genre's or just all straight on thier? thanks

Pazz
02-08-2010, 11:07 PM
PCDJ ripping facility for me (if you have the software) although I have also used Windows media player and audiograbber

Vectis
02-08-2010, 11:41 PM
thanks for the reply guys, will try out audiograbber first, produb license brought by the way, another quickie i have just broght a external hdd when you store tracks on their do you store them in genre's or just all straight on thier? thanks

That's a matter of personal taste and how your brain works under stress.

You might want to consider at least two other HDDs though for backup (but, in accordance with ProDub Ts & Cs, leave them at home when gigging :bang: ).

Single point of failure and all that. HDDs are very unreliable especially in harsh environments.

Excalibur
03-08-2010, 06:58 AM
That's a matter of personal taste and how your brain works under stress.

You might want to consider at least two other HDDs though for backup (but, in accordance with ProDub Ts & Cs, leave them at home when gigging :bang: ).

Single point of failure and all that. HDDs are very unreliable especially in harsh environments.

One of the few times I've found a comment of yours to take issue with. In my limited experience, I've found them surprisingly reliable, but I stand to be corrected.

Software? Default setting: Media Monkey. The dog's dangly bits.

mattydinx
31-12-2010, 02:25 AM
For me the best CD ripping software by far is Exact Audio Copy (http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/).

Agreed! - Great bit of software, it also checks with the AccurateRip database that the song was copied correctly without errors, in some cases even repair errors caused by scratches and smudges. (Unlike Media Player and iTunes which use a Burst transfer mode, capturing every click, pop and tick present on the CD)