PDA

View Full Version : For the wedding DJs....

DeckstarDeluxe
08-08-2010, 12:45 PM
Helped out a fellow DJ last night as I had a night off so to speak.

Naturally was at a wedding hence the thread title. He however did something that I had never really tried before incase it "bombed".

He finished on take that "never forget" good so far. Then played the first dance as the last song. Worked well and will try it myself. Just wondering if anyone else does this?

Excalibur
08-08-2010, 12:47 PM

Naturally was at a wedding hence the thread title. He however did something that I had never really tried before incase it "bombed".

He finished on take that "never forget" good so far. Then played the first dance as the last song. Worked well and will try it myself. Just wondering if anyone else does this?

Err, as far as I know, it's almost regarded as de rigeur. Don't often do it myself, but that's just me.

DeckstarDeluxe
08-08-2010, 12:49 PM
Err, as far as I know, it's almost regarded as de rigeur. Don't often do it myself, but that's just me.

I have thought about it before when debating what to finish on but have always "chickened" out because it might go south and would hate to finish a night like that.

Solitaire Events Ltd
08-08-2010, 12:50 PM
Don't often do it myself, but that's just me.

Me neither, unless asked.

Shakermaker Promotions
08-08-2010, 12:52 PM
It's usually 'Never Forget' or 'You Got The Love' for me as the last songs.

Mark Wild
08-08-2010, 12:54 PM
I've done it once before, worked really well also but it was requested by the bride and groom. Up here 8/10 (for me anyway) they want Runrig - Loch Lomond and I must say, it works everytime.

ppentertainments
08-08-2010, 01:13 PM
I've done it once before, worked really well also but it was requested by the bride and groom. Up here 8/10 (for me anyway) they want Runrig - Loch Lomond and I must say, it works everytime.
Whenever you Scots invade our country to get married in :eek: , I nearly always get asked to finish with Runrig. Anyone from England and it never gets asked. Personally I think it is a great song to finish with.

I have once or twiced been asked for the first dance to also be the last, but more commonly I am asked for the song used when the bride walks down the aisle, especially when doing 'all day' weddings.

Big Mix Mobile Disco
08-08-2010, 01:29 PM

I generally finish with Take That - Never forget and I get everyone to stand in a circle clapping etc. works really well. Then for the final song I usually play I've had the time of my life - quite fitting really :p

deltic
08-08-2010, 01:43 PM
a few guys round here finnish with the first dance song,i have done it a few times.
but i find it depends on the song,seem to get a lot of diverse first dance songs nowadays and they really wouldn't be appropriate for a second playing at the end of the function.

BeerFunk
08-08-2010, 02:02 PM
It's usually 'Never Forget' or 'You Got The Love' for me as the last songs.You Got The Love?? Really? That's a strange last song, in my opinion :)

I've done it once before, worked really well also but it was requested by the bride and groom. Up here 8/10 (for me anyway) they want Runrig - Loch Lomond and I must say, it works everytime.Yes, it is a banker really as it usually involves all the remaining guests - and I think everyone knows the routine!

cosmicdiscos
08-08-2010, 02:09 PM
think it depends where your disco is. All the weddings i do in deepest wales finish with Yma O Hyd by Dafydd Iwan

rob1963
08-08-2010, 02:30 PM
I usually end on the first dance.

Funnily enough, it was an idea I picked up from this forum.

DeckstarDeluxe
08-08-2010, 02:32 PM
forgot to mention the first dance was Lonestar....

Steve the DJ
08-08-2010, 04:05 PM
I usually end on whatever I feel best suits the vibe of the evening or what the client requests rather than using the same song, for example the last 4 Weddings have finished on:

1. Oasis - Wonderwall
2. Kings Of Leon - Sex On Fire
3. Bill Medley & Jennifer Warnes - I've Had The Time Of My Life (Client Request)
4. Madness - It Must Be love

None of which were the First Dance but I would use it if it felt right.

Corabar Steve
08-08-2010, 04:08 PM
Not done it for a while, but I have on numerous occasions. Depends on the gig / crowd.

thex-faders
08-08-2010, 04:17 PM
The couple request Never Forget at their last song also last night. In regards to then playing the first dance again, I would probably ask the couple what they would like.
Tom

robbiedj
08-08-2010, 04:40 PM
I always ask if they have a "final" dance in mind.

A recent couple asked for Take Me Home - Sophie Ellis Baxter and had a dance routine ready.

STEVE HANLEY
08-08-2010, 06:11 PM
It's always Don't look back in anger for me. Just as I switch the lights off and usually leave the parbar on.

To let everyone know this is the last song. If I haven't already mentioned it.

It usually gets them all singing along to it in big groups. That if it's been a good night they keep singing it whilst you're packing up

Paul The Party Dj
08-08-2010, 08:54 PM
So am I the only one who finishes with ...
Black Lace ~ I Am The Music Man
Black Lace ~ Agadoo
The Tweets ~ The Birdie Song
... Oh no, my secret weapon is out of the bag!

At all weddings I finish with whatever the Bride & Groom ask me to play - but we sit and talk about it first and plan exactly what will happen.
Last night I had a request for another track from a guest and nearly gave in -but the explained I was going to do what the B&G had requested.

Cheers, Paul.

Excalibur
08-08-2010, 09:03 PM
So am I the only one who finishes with ...
Black Lace ~ I Am The Music Man
Black Lace ~ Agadoo
The Tweets ~ The Birdie Song
... Oh no, my secret weapon is out of the bag!

At all weddings I finish with whatever the Bride & Groom ask me to play - but we sit and talk about it first and plan exactly what will happen.
Last night I had a request for another track from a guest and nearly gave in -but the explained I was going to do what the B&G had requested.

Cheers, Paul.
Oh yes, the gigs I've had where you get four cogent arguments why theirs should be the last track, even above the B&G. :bang:

yourdj
08-08-2010, 09:08 PM
Sometimes the first dance especially if it did not go as well as expected (ie not as many people joined in). Depends on crowd and event.

I think it makes the track more memorable for the couple and crowd as they are more relaxed and happy.

Or an alternative version eg: your song (moulin rougue & elton john)

Corabar Entertainment
08-08-2010, 09:31 PM
Or an alternative version eg: your song (moulin rougue & elton john)
I would have thought that was a very BAD idea! If a particular version of a song has a special place in their hearts (which is entirely likely if they have chosen it as their first dance) then it is equally possible that they would hate a different version of it. (I know I hate it when another artist 'messes' with a song that I love!)

Jonathan Ford
09-08-2010, 09:08 AM
I'll occasionally play the first dance again, but only if I'm playing three or four slower songs at then end.

EDIT: I wasn't going to admit what I play last...almost always, for fear of being seen as a horrible, cheesy Ray Vonn type. I first played the song I'm about to admit to as irony. I'd had a horrible night, I think it was a birthday party off the top of my head, probably around 2000, 2001. The client had requested sixties rock and Prog rock all night...so I played loads of Bob Dylan, The Doors, Steppenwolf etc. I played one Rolling Stones track, and the client came over and told me it was crap! As you can imagine, though I was playing outstanding music to listen to, a crowd wanting to dance were sorely dissappointed.

Anyway, I was absolutely dying, and a mate of mine turned up around 2315. We used to work together quite a bit back then. I nipped off for a bit of air, but forgot to tell him about the rock/prog rock instruction. I came back in, and he was playing S Club 7....to a full dancefloor and no complaints!! After that, I played as much cheese as I could muster, before hitting them with their requested last song...."Jerusalem". This killed things again, so, perhaps unprofessionally I'll admit....I played one after it. "Copacabana". Sorry. The vast majority of guests got that I was having a bit of a dig at the instructions I'd been given (I would never make a "Sorry I'm having to play all this crap" announcement, but I certainly told people making requests that I wouldn't be able to play it and why), and filled the dancefloor.

I now play "Copacabana" last very frequently. Couple of slow songs, then Barry. Generally it goes down very well, with a sense of irony and self depreciation. It's certainly never bombed with people staring back at me with that "WTF?" look on their faces. It's become such a gag at one of my regular venues, the bar staff refer to the end of the evening as "Barry O'Clock". I even thought about having a digital countdown made that I could project on to a wall for NYE. Not for midnight you understand, but for Barry.

When judging me on this, and you will, please be kind. I only do it if I think the crowd will "get it". And my wife and children love me very much.

simon1969
09-08-2010, 09:26 AM
[QUOTE=BeerFunk;463687]You Got The Love?? Really? That's a strange last song, in my opinion :)

Yes, I have played that as last song also dancing in the moonlight,crazy by Gnarls Barkley.

rob1963
09-08-2010, 09:52 AM
Unless specifically requested by the bride & Groom, I don't really understand why anyone would finish on anything other than a slow song.

There's another thread where lots of people have said it's good to mix the music, as it helps things flow more smoothly...but in this thread, a number of people have said they end on a fast one, so one minute everyone is going mad on the dance floor, then the song finishes & that's suddenly the end of the disco. Not a very smooth way to finish off, if you ask me!

:shrug:

Mark Wild
09-08-2010, 09:58 AM
I'll occasionally play the first dance again, but only if I'm playing three or four slower songs at then end.

EDIT: I wasn't going to admit what I play last...almost always, for fear of being seen as a horrible, cheesy Ray Vonn type. I first played the song I'm about to admit to as irony. I'd had a horrible night, I think it was a birthday party off the top of my head, probably around 2000, 2001. The client had requested sixties rock and Prog rock all night...so I played loads of Bob Dylan, The Doors, Steppenwolf etc. I played one Rolling Stones track, and the client came over and told me it was crap! As you can imagine, though I was playing outstanding music to listen to, a crowd wanting to dance were sorely dissappointed.

Anyway, I was absolutely dying, and a mate of mine turned up around 2315. We used to work together quite a bit back then. I nipped off for a bit of air, but forgot to tell him about the rock/prog rock instruction. I came back in, and he was playing S Club 7....to a full dancefloor and no complaints!! After that, I played as much cheese as I could muster, before hitting them with their requested last song...."Jerusalem". This killed things again, so, perhaps unprofessionally I'll admit....I played one after it. "Copacabana". Sorry. The vast majority of guests got that I was having a bit of a dig at the instructions I'd been given (I would never make a "Sorry I'm having to play all this crap" announcement, but I certainly told people making requests that I wouldn't be able to play it and why), and filled the dancefloor.

I now play "Copacabana" last very frequently. Couple of slow songs, then Barry. Generally it goes down very well, with a sense of irony and self depreciation. It's certainly never bombed with people staring back at me with that "WTF?" look on their faces. It's become such a gag at one of my regular venues, the bar staff refer to the end of the evening as "Barry O'Clock". I even thought about having a digital countdown made that I could project on to a wall for NYE. Not for midnight you understand, but for Barry.

When judging me on this, and you will, please be kind. I only do it if I think the crowd will "get it". And my wife and children love me very much.

Nice post man lol, I've played tunes in the heat of the moment due to being a little peeved with the crowd before now e.g Living Doll - Cliff Richard :o and to my despair filled the dancefloor.

Corabar Entertainment
09-08-2010, 10:57 AM
Unless specifically requested by the bride & Groom, I don't really understand why anyone would finish on anything other than a slow song.

There's another thread where lots of people have said it's good to mix the music, as it helps things flow more smoothly...but in this thread, a number of people have said they end on a fast one, so one minute everyone is going mad on the dance floor, then the song finishes & that's suddenly the end of the disco. Not a very smooth way to finish off, if you ask me!

:shrug:There seem to be a lot of things you don't understand recently, Rob.... is the alzheimers progressing? :p

Ever heard of finishing on a high? :confused:

09-08-2010, 11:01 AM
Yep, I nearly always finish with Never Forget at a Wedding, if there's enough guests left in attendance to make it special, unless otherwise advised by the client, it's a nice alternative to New York New York.

rob1963
09-08-2010, 11:40 AM
There seem to be a lot of things you don't understand recently, Rob

And that's why I'm on the forum...so I can learn about the things I don't understand.

is the alzheimers progressing? :p

To be honest, I think.....well, I seem to.....errr.....sorry.....what was the question again?

Ever heard of finishing on a high?

Of course I have.

That's the same as asking "Ever heard of not finishing on a slow song & therefore increasing the changes of being hassled for one more"?

No thanks!

I've changed my mind about a number of things since joining the forum, but I think I can safely say this won't be one of them!

:D

Corabar Entertainment
09-08-2010, 11:48 AM
I've changed my mind about a number of things since joining the forum, but I think I can safely say this won't be one of them!Which is absolutely fine.... as I've said time and time again, it would be boring if we all did everything the same, but it's completely different to saying "I don't really understand why anyone would finish on anything other than a slow song".

Personally, I'd say it's horses for courses. Sometimes a slow song would be right for the end; another time an up-beat track would work better.

yourdj
09-08-2010, 11:48 AM
forgot to mention the first dance was Lonestar....

god I did that one last week followed by a real rocky country one. needless to say people started dancing and then decided they did not like the music, but kind of stayed as not to be rude :p

(I know I hate it when another artist 'messes' with a song that I love!)

Yes your right. they asked for it. I would play the same tune most the time or another special track they want.

Javlingames
09-08-2010, 11:54 AM

Even on a corporate job where there arnt any couples?

rob1963
09-08-2010, 11:56 AM

Even on a corporate job where there arnt any couples?

My comment related to weddings, hence my use of the phrase "Bride & Groom"!

DeckstarDeluxe
09-08-2010, 11:57 AM
My comment related to weddings, hence my use of the phrase "Bride & Groom"!

Indeed, hence the title and topic of this thread :)

Javlingames
09-08-2010, 11:59 AM
a number of people have said they end on a fast one, so one minute everyone is going mad on the dance floor, then the song finishes & that's suddenly the end of the disco. Not a very smooth way to finish off, if you ask me!

Ok so how do you finish off on a gig thats not a wedding then?

yourdj
09-08-2010, 12:10 PM

Simple - do a fake ending and an encore and leave them wanting more :p

On a birthday I would address the birthday person and then the crowd.

rob1963
09-08-2010, 12:11 PM
Which is absolutely fine.... as I've said time and time again, it would be boring if we all did everything the same, but it's completely different to saying "I don't really understand why anyone would finish on anything other than a slow song"

But this is true.

It's mainly because ending on a fast one increases the chances of people hassling you for one more, and I don't see why would anyone want to increase their chances of being hassled at the end of the night when they want to pack up & go home.

It's also partly because I think it's very sudden to go from a fast song to absolutely nothing, and that it's far better to wind people down with one or two slow songs at the end, as well as giving them the chance for a smooch at the end of the evening before leaving.

To be honest, I don't do corporate stuff, so with the odd exception, the only gigs I really do other than weddings are birthday parties, and I finish these with one or two slow songs, although the songs I use will be different each time.

CRAZY K
09-08-2010, 12:55 PM
It's mainly because ending on a fast one increases the chances of people hassling you for one more, and I don't see why would anyone want to increase their chances of being hassled at the end of the night when they want to pack up & go home.

Depending on the audience----a few years ago I often finished off with a real belter like Rock around the Clock or Shake Rattle and Roll and after the end --just say gudnite everyone--see ya!

As Your DJ says--leave them wanting more;)

then======round of applause and turn the kit off.

For Corporate as its always Western /Barn Dance its a no brainer--either Country Roads --Hermes House Band or Cotton Eyed Joe.

DazzyD
09-08-2010, 01:02 PM
Unless requested by the client, I usually finish on my tried and tested (and very cheesy!) threesome of:

1. Do You Love Me? - The Contours
2. (I've Had The) Time Of My Life B. Medley & J. Warnes
3. Goodnight Sweetheart - The Flamingos

I am the DJ King Of Cheese, after all! ;)

Which is absolutely fine.... as I've said time and time again, it would be boring if we all did everything the same, but it's completely different to saying "I don't really understand why anyone would finish on anything other than a slow song".

Personally, I'd say it's horses for courses. Sometimes a slow song would be right for the end; another time an up-beat track would work better.

Every gig is different. I've even been known to end with faster tracks like Mr Brightside or Sex On Fire.

Corabar Entertainment
09-08-2010, 01:29 PM
But this is true.Well, I can see you're in one of your bloody-minded, awkward moods today, Rob, so there would seem little point in carrying on our conversation, so I'll bow out of our chat now and leave you to it.

rob1963
09-08-2010, 01:39 PM
Well, I can see you're in one of your bloody-minded, awkward moods today, Rob

I don't know why you should think that.

All I've done is so state that I don't understand why people would finish on anything other than a slow song, and I've also explained my reasons why. As yet, nobody has been able to answer these reasons or suggest that they're wrong.

so there would seem little point in carrying on our conversation, so I'll bow out of our chat now and leave you to it.

No problem.

Corabar Entertainment
09-08-2010, 01:43 PM

rob1963
09-08-2010, 02:06 PM
A forum official has made it clear they don't like what I've posted in this thread, so in the interests of harmony, I'll also bow out now.

:)

Corabar Entertainment
09-08-2010, 02:11 PM

NKR
09-08-2010, 04:34 PM
Never forget is my finish too! Interesting how many of us use it. Slots in after Time of Your Life from dirty dancing.

StarZSoundS
09-08-2010, 04:52 PM
Tried and Tested....so many times!!

Everyone in a circle holding hands.....Principles (usually B+G ) in the middle....

Angels ....Robbie Williams

Leading into

You'll Never Walk Alone...Gerry and the Pacemakers....(even got some Man U supporters singing it through clenched teeth on Friday!!):D :D :D :D

Never fails :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

BeerFunk
09-08-2010, 05:48 PM

Everyone in a circle holding hands.....Principles (usually B+G ) in the middle....

Leading into

You'll Never Walk Alone...Gerry and the Pacemakers....(even got some Man U supporters singing it through clenched teeth on Friday!!):D :D :D :D

Never fails :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)That is likely to not only fail, but also possibly cause trouble around here... you see, Celtic FC have adopted YNWA too! That said, the chances of trouble at a wedding are slim.

Nonethless, football songs are to be avoided when possible, in my experience :)

DeckstarDeluxe
09-08-2010, 06:27 PM
That is likely to not only fail, but also possibly cause trouble around here... you see, Celtic FC have adopted YNWA too! That said, the chances of trouble at a wedding are slim.

Yes even as a liverpool fan myself I wouldnt play YNWA.

I wouldnt play angels either unless requested.

Dynamic Entertainment
09-08-2010, 06:33 PM

Me either. Its appeared on so many of my "Do Not Play" lists over the last few years due to funerals that i now dont play it unless its specifically requested.

To answer the OP, i have occasionally finished with the First Dance, and its been mentioned how it perfectly finished the night off.

StarZSoundS
09-08-2010, 06:35 PM

Neither has caused me any problems.....I don't see why Angels should???

It is a stonking,memorable finish!!Substitiute YNWA with I Believe (Robson and Jerome:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: )......

Excalibur
09-08-2010, 06:36 PM
There seem to be a lot of things you don't understand recently, Rob.... is the alzheimers progressing? :p

Ever heard of finishing on a high? :confused:
I'm wearing my t-shirt. ;) :D

That's the same as asking "Ever heard of not finishing on a slow song & therefore increasing the changes of being hassled for one more"?
No thanks!

I've changed my mind about a number of things since joining the forum, but I think I can safely say this won't be one of them!

:D
Don't actually think it makes any difference to the chances at all. I've finished in just about every conceivable manner. I couldn't forecast hiow any would go.

Which is absolutely fine.... as I've said time and time again, it would be boring if we all did everything the same, but it's completely different to saying "I don't really understand why anyone would finish on anything other than a slow song".

Amen, Angela. Now if I only knew which ones to play.............:D :D

No idea. I try to guess when I arrive there.

Leading into

Never fails :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
I used that for many many years. Many many years.
Try playing it to a wedding party of Everton fans. :eek: :eek: I forgot there are two teams in Liverpool. :o :o :o Lived to tell the tale, though. :D :D
See above. Yes it can. ;)

That is likely to not only fail, but also possibly cause trouble around here... you see, Celtic FC have adopted YNWA too! That said, the chances of trouble at a wedding are slim.

You what? :eek: :eek: I beg to differ.
True. Sometimes, you can play a song without knowing it's a footy song. That's often when the trouble can begin. :( :(

Dynamic Entertainment
09-08-2010, 06:38 PM
Neither has caused me any problems.....I don't see why Angels should???

It is a stonking,memorable finish!!Substitiute YNWA with I Believe (Robson and Jerome:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: )......

Theres been 7-8 times that i recall where Angels has been a no-no because it was played at family funerals. Just like some tracks become popular first dances, others become popular songs at funerals. Ive heard from venue managers where the track has had people in tears at other functions...thats a perfect finish dont you think ;)

Excalibur
09-08-2010, 06:45 PM
Theres been 7-8 times that i recall where Angels has been a no-no because it was played at family funerals. Just like some tracks become popular first dances, others become popular songs at funerals. Ive heard from venue managers where the track has had people in tears at other functions...thats a perfect finish dont you think ;)

Agreed. Also there can be other songs that are a no no, for similar reasons.

StarZSoundS
09-08-2010, 06:48 PM
Theres been 7-8 times that i recall where Angels has been a no-no because it was played at family funerals. ;)

Depends how you sell it.I don't see any of the tracks I have mentioned as depressing.I see them as moving and inspirational and easy to sing-a-long too........ and suitable for Famiies and Friends bonding....

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

DeckstarDeluxe
09-08-2010, 06:49 PM
Depends how you sell it.I don't see any of the tracks I have mentioned as depressing.I see them as moving and inspirational and easy to sing-a-long too........ and suitable for Famiies and Friends bonding....

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

We really do work in different worlds then Martin

DAVESOUNDS SERVICES
09-08-2010, 06:53 PM
Angels or Never walk or Time of my life .
Pearl and Dean Theme 12 Seconds
Maybe if theyre up for it .... Hokey Cokey Thankyou and goodnight
leave em buzzing !

Cheers

StarZSoundS
09-08-2010, 06:55 PM
We really do work in different worlds then Martin

Oh Yes!!!But we really shouldn't critiscize until we have seen wether it works or not.......

I'm not planning to change something that has been rermarkably succesful for me.....:) :) :)

Thousands of evenings finished in this fashion and never had a negative comment about my finish....only huge complements!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Corabar Entertainment
09-08-2010, 07:00 PM
What I find sad is not what you play, but the fact that, no matter what the gig, the crowd, where, when, who, etc.... that you would always finish with the SAME thing!

Excalibur
09-08-2010, 07:09 PM
What I find sad is not what you play, but the fact that, no matter what the gig, the crowd, where, when, who, etc.... that you would always finish with the SAME thing!

Agreed.

And despite the fact that the song is a truly moving treatise from one of the great musicals of our time, when I've played it as a final song, I've heard customers say disdainfully:

" Well it was a great disco, but he spoiled it by finishing with a Football Song. " ( As if it were an heinous crime).

And once, I had a lovely lovely Lady ask if I knew the significance of the song. When I explained that I did indeed, she was happy that I wasn't simply playing a " Football Song", but a moving and relevant piece of music. :D :D

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-08-2010, 08:05 PM
Never forget is my finish too! Interesting how many of us use it. Slots in after Time of Your Life from dirty dancing.

Exactly what I played at a 30th on Saturday. :)

NKR
09-08-2010, 08:31 PM
Exactly what I played at a 30th on Saturday. :)

Great minds :D

NKR
09-08-2010, 08:35 PM
I'm wearing my t-shirt. ;)

Try playing it to a wedding party of Everton fans. :eek: :eek:[COLOR="blue"]

Did a wedding at Goodison a couple of years ago and some woman tried to get me to play YNWA at the end for a laugh. I am sure the staff at Goodison would have found it hilarious :eek:

I politely refused and she called me a wuss and winked at me. You can get some great scouse do's as they are just so mischievous.

Kernow
09-08-2010, 08:35 PM
"We are the Champions" would seem equally inappropriate on Merseyside ?] ;)

:D :D :D

:sofa:

StarZSoundS
09-08-2010, 08:46 PM

It was a bit of a generalization Angie.This weekend....

Friday Night....Kids Party....finished with the Conga

Saturday Night.....Triple Adult Birthday Party(outside a Pub)....Carribean Way ...Nik N Mik......(they were :Censored: and asked for the Limbo).

Sunday Afternoon....Kids Party.....finished with Going Solo.....

Sunday Evening.....Quiz Night.....finished with No Speak Americanos.....

Sorry if you took what I was saying literally.I did say thousands of evenings .....but I didnt say they all finsihed like that!!!:rose: :rose:

Excalibur
09-08-2010, 08:48 PM
Did a wedding at Goodison a couple of years ago and some woman tried to get me to play YNWA at the end for a laugh. I am sure the staff at Goodison would have found it hilarious :eek:

I politely refused and she called me a wuss and winked at me. You can get some great scouse do's as they are just so mischievous.

Not the adjective which sprang to my mind, when I ventured across there recently. ;)

NKR
09-08-2010, 09:03 PM
Not the adjective which sprang to my mind, when I ventured across there recently. ;)

:)

pwes
10-08-2010, 10:43 AM
As Victor Meldrew would have said - "I DON'T BELIEVE IT !" I seem to be the only one who plays New York, New York at the end. I have found for many years that it works, across different demographics, as the last song for a wedding. I always discuss it with B&G, sometimes they opt for something different (never forget is also popular), but I would say over 90% of my weddings go for NY,NY and the audiences seem to love it, great ending song !!

Not sure who mentioned earlier something like "why use the same song all the time", er, because it works ! Once you've found what works, don't mess with it, just accept it and use it...Never try to re-invent the wheel :-)

mikeee
10-08-2010, 12:04 PM
Eric Clapton - Wonderful Tonight

TONYTIGER
10-08-2010, 12:13 PM
As Victor Meldrew would have said - "I DON'T BELIEVE IT !" I seem to be the only one who plays New York, New York at the end. I have found for many years that it works, across different demographics, as the last song for a wedding. I always discuss it with B&G, sometimes they opt for something different (never forget is also popular), but I would say over 90% of my weddings go for NY,NY and the audiences seem to love it, great ending song !!

Not sure who mentioned earlier something like "why use the same song all the time", er, because it works ! Once you've found what works, don't mess with it, just accept it and use it...Never try to re-invent the wheel :-)

New York works for me have used it since i started which is probably when it was realeased;) also use Green Onions for talk over at the end.

yourdj
10-08-2010, 12:15 PM

Both great tracks!! I like the start of never forget as most people don't seem to get it until it kick in. :)

all night long is one of my favourites. generally for a get together dance before guests start sloping off before 11 or so.

funkymook
10-08-2010, 12:30 PM
There's a good version of Zorba's Dance on the Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels soundtrack that I really like to use to finish with. Otherwise it all depends on the night, recently I've finished on Hey Jude, Wonderwall, New York New York, Zorba and Never Forget, and also used the First Dance on several occasions when it seemed appropiate (never actually been asked for it as the last song though).

NKR
10-08-2010, 04:45 PM

We use it sometimes, when 'The finish as we call it' Doesn't quite get us to time.

I am all for a fixed finish as we do, as we know it works, unless specifically asked for final tracks by the client. Tried and tested is good. When it stops working we start changing.

Oh I have to admit once I have said goodnight I play the Jim'll fix it theme tune as the lights come up and do some scratching with it at the end on the denon. Tends to get some laughs from the punters - its the whole ironic DJ thing.

Vectis
10-08-2010, 05:13 PM
I'd never dream of replaying the first dance song unless the B+G suggested it.

NY NY is a regular finisher of mine, one I offer up for suggestion if asked, along with Don't Stop Me Now and, simply because it puts everyone in a going home mood, Hey Jude.

Although the strangest this year has been the Shaun The Sheep theme song :bang: Bride's choice, of course :eek:

BeerFunk
10-08-2010, 05:21 PM
I must say, the more I think about, the worse the idea gets. I think of the first dance as a very special and unique moment for the couple - so repeating it at the end subtracts from it in a sense.

Not only that, a lot of the guests are likely to be fairly intoxicated by that point, and may not take it so seriously second time around, devaluing it even further.

Of course, I may be reading into it too much! :)

Corabar Steve
10-08-2010, 05:22 PM
I think you are

StarZSoundS
10-08-2010, 05:25 PM
I must say, the more I think about, the worse the idea gets. I think of the first dance as a very special and unique moment for the couple - so repeating it at the end subtracts from it in a sense.

Not only that, a lot of the guests are likely to be fairly intoxicated by that point, and may not take it so seriously second time around, devaluing it even further.

Of course, I may be reading into it too much! :)

I don't think you are.Its not something I've ever considered or been asked to do.I'm not keen on doubling up on any tunes in a night....let alone something as obvious as the two most important!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

CRAZY K
10-08-2010, 10:46 PM
I don't think you are.Its not something I've ever considered or been asked to do.I'm not keen on doubling up on any tunes in a night....let alone something as obvious as the two most important!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I dont get this idea.:confused:

You cant repeat a track due to some strange idea thats its not ---what--Professional:confused:

Years ago in the dim and distant 60s some of us had so few good records we HAD to repeat some:D :D :D :D :D

Nowadays theres plenty to choose from--however maybe you dont understand the principle of people like repeating things they like--few examples--beer, cigarettes, food--anyone say s.x are you getting the idea now;)

So last Saturday night I played Saturday Night Fever consecutively 3 times because everyone was having a ball Line Dancing to it---ok maybe they WERE drunk--but this WAS THE BRIDES INSTRUCTION.:)

And it went down a storm--ok im going to bed its all too simple really isnt it:bang: :bang: :bang:

Solitaire Events Ltd
10-08-2010, 10:50 PM
I don't like repeating tracks either.

It's almost like you can't think of anything else to play, so you stick it on again as it went down well the first time.

DeckstarDeluxe
10-08-2010, 10:53 PM

It's almost like you can't think of anything else to play, so you stick it on again as it went down well the first time.

Its one of my personal unwritten rules that you don't play the same track twice in one night.

Bit like not hoping around from completely different musical styles but slowly move from one to the other.

That could be another thread though...

BeerFunk
10-08-2010, 11:04 PM
Repeating tracks is something I avoid too, but it can't be helped sometimes, particularly when there is a popular song in the charts. When 'Black Eyed Peas - I Gotta Feeling' was charting high, you just couldn't get away with just playing it once at most functions!! And don't get me started on DJ Otzi..... :(

Back to the original point again though, and for those that do end with the 'first dance', do you run this by the B+G first? I ask because I don't think I'd be that chuffed if the DJ at my wedding did that.

Corabar Steve
10-08-2010, 11:06 PM
Whenever I've done it, I've always had comments that it was a nice touch.

Especiay if they're having a leaving arch at the same time.

Paul The Party Dj
11-08-2010, 05:49 AM
I agree with repeating the first dance - it's something that I've done more recently - but not every time. Sometimes the track just feels right and I always remind everyone that it's the B&G's big day and that the tune should always remind everyone of them and what a fabulous day we've had. The last tunes are always discussed in our planning meeting(s).

As for repeating other tracks, I don't like to do it. Sometimes I'll replay a track if it's requested again by someone who's nice about it. Once last year I replayed about 7 songs in the final 20 minutes - because they were the only 7 songs people had danced to all night - nightmare - but that's another story.

CRAZY K
11-08-2010, 04:34 PM
Once last year I replayed about 7 songs in the final 20 minutes - because they were the only 7 songs people had danced to all night - nightmare - but that's another story.

Sounds like you were using your common sense to get the best possible result for the client.

All part of the job;)

simon1969
11-08-2010, 06:41 PM

:agree:
As above,I think it's great as that song works for you (if it aint broke don't fix it)
when you dj out of your area do you still play that song?
I do try not repeat tunes though, despite people offering beer, their girlfriend,
to be their best friend for ever!!! :confused: :D

Excalibur
11-08-2010, 08:03 PM
I dont get this idea.:confused:

You cant repeat a track due to some strange idea thats its not ---what--Professional:confused:

Years ago in the dim and distant 60s some of us had so few good records we HAD to repeat some:D :D :D :D :D

Nowadays theres plenty to choose from--however maybe you dont understand the principle of people like repeating things they like--few examples--beer, cigarettes, food--anyone say s.x are you getting the idea now;)

So last Saturday night I played Saturday Night Fever consecutively 3 times because everyone was having a ball Line Dancing to it---ok maybe they WERE drunk--but this WAS THE BRIDES INSTRUCTION.:)

And it went down a storm--ok im going to bed its all too simple really isnt it:bang: :bang: :bang:
Some? Some? More like Many. :D :D :D :D

Errr, you're thinking like a DJ again. ;) Yes I know, we all abhor repeating any track, but the punters don't. Also, bear in mind, we're there all night. Punters often turn up and request a track you played five minutes ago, just before they arrrived. :bang:

DJ Jules
11-08-2010, 08:10 PM
Although the strangest this year has been the Shaun The Sheep theme song :bang: Bride's choice, of course :eek:

For anyone is following Four Wedddings USA - did you see the 40's themed wedding where they played classics like "The Hokey Cokey" :eek: and missed all the good stuff like Big Band, Swing, Sinatra, etc...

Looked like they had a great night - all eight of them who were dancing!

Julian

Solitaire Events Ltd
11-08-2010, 08:17 PM
Errr, you're thinking like a DJ again. ;)

Funny that, when this is a DJ forum and we are talking about DJ related subjects...

Corabar Entertainment
11-08-2010, 08:26 PM
Errr, you're thinking like a DJ again. ;) Yes I know, we all abhor repeating any track, but the punters don't. I'll dispute that.

I can recall several occasions as a punter (even long before I had anything to do with the DJ world) where I have been part of / overheard conversations when a DJ has repeated a track where people have moaned / complained / made jokes about the DJ running out of music, etc.

pwes
12-08-2010, 02:30 PM
:agree:
As above,I think it's great as that song works for you (if it aint broke don't fix it)
when you dj out of your area do you still play that song?
er, out of my area as in ? location wise, I would still recommend it to the B&G (but of course happy to do anything else instead), area of expertise (such as weddings being 98% of my work) no, probably not, I'd guage the audience and wing it and pray ! :-)

I do try not repeat tunes though, despite people offering beer, their girlfriend,
to be their best friend for ever!!! :confused: :D

I also don't repeat songs unless there's a VERY good reason, and "I was in the loo" only works if you are the Bride or Groom !

Especiay if they're having a leaving arch at the same time.

ah now, leaving arch (maybe twice a year these days) calls for the Communards - Don't leave me this way "ooooOOOOOOOOOHHHH BABY !"

As the man said earlier, 'if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it !'

thomsonmwdj
20-08-2010, 03:32 PM
I think it would work well, evenif it doesnt, make sure you have another qued up, then if it goes south, get on the mic, say something witty, then finish on your other track.