PDA

View Full Version : Email signatures

Solitaire Events Ltd
13-08-2010, 11:39 AM
Anyone use pictures and/or hyperlinks in your email signatures?

Just considering putting one or two in mine, but am unsure....

Mark Wild
13-08-2010, 11:46 AM
I use pictures and hyperlinks, What are you unsure of Daz? On Outlook it's all done under Tools - Options - Mail Format - Email Signature

I'll fire you an email from my business account so you can see it.

Steve the DJ
13-08-2010, 12:04 PM
I did try using my logo in mine but found how it looked their end really depended on how the recipients email was set up.

With many clients using web based email and having varying security settings it never looked as good as it did on my computer. Often it didn't even show the picture at all!

So I gave up and stuck with a text based signature.

Vectis
13-08-2010, 12:10 PM
I wouldn't use a picture for the reasons above. You have no control over how it's rendered on receipt. Many email clients will disable the displaying of the picture by default, and ask the user to click on something to enable it. Others will handle it as an attachment.

Either way, you increase the likelihood of your message being spam filtered.

Stick with text.

URLs are often disabled too, but usually more gracefully.

Shaun
13-08-2010, 12:17 PM
I wouldn't use a picture for the reasons above. You have no control over how it's rendered on receipt. Many email clients will disable the displaying of the picture by default, and ask the user to click on something to enable it. Others will handle it as an attachment.

:agree:

I have images disabled on incoming emails. To view them I have to click on 'show images', which I never do.

Vectis
13-08-2010, 12:21 PM
Here's a useful article

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2010/02/04/the-art-and-science-of-the-email-signature/

Mark Wild
13-08-2010, 12:28 PM
I'm not sure how many people are really that interested (or sad) enough to read an email sig anyway, in all honesty, have you ever read through one?

Vectis
13-08-2010, 12:29 PM
I'm not sure how many people are really that interested (or sad) enough to read an email sig anyway, in all honesty, have you ever read through one?

Not often.

But it's a legal requirement for limited companies and PLCs to put their various registration numbers in all electronic communication and the sig is the best place for it because it then requires no user interaction.

Mark Wild
13-08-2010, 12:36 PM
Not often.

But it's a legal requirement for limited companies and PLCs to put their various registration numbers in all electronic communication and the sig is the best place for it because it then requires no user interaction.

I wasn't saying don't have one ;)

yourdj
13-08-2010, 12:54 PM
Stick with text.

do you think this is too much?

It has links to all the things to do next?

Would a link to a page that has these links be better :confused:

also shall i drop the picture?

Solitaire Events Ltd
13-08-2010, 01:00 PM
The picture is OK, but the rest seems pointless to me. If someone books, then surely you send them the paperwork or they can do it on your site?

If you are going to leave all those links, then make them into proper hyperlinks and get rid of the URLs.

yourdj
13-08-2010, 01:12 PM
The picture is OK, but the rest seems pointless to me. If someone books, then surely you send them the paperwork or they can do it on your site?

If you are going to leave all those links, then make them into proper hyperlinks and get rid of the URLs.

Yea, I think I will just do a site map and divert people to that. They can then go where they choose. Will also loose the picture & disclaimer. :)

Vectis
13-08-2010, 01:24 PM
I would question the legalities of option 4 :eek:

Also, what's a Dj? DJ surely?

And txt spk in a formal communication presumably to a client? :eek: :eek:

If I were a client, looking at your list would suggest to me that you treat weddings and parties with a 'conveyor belt' approach rather than the custom offering which the rest of your site lends me to believe. :soapbox:

DJMaxG
13-08-2010, 02:40 PM
To add images etc in an e-mail, you tend to need software to do it. It isn`t something that can be just be done in hotmail/webmail, unless it goes down as an attachment.

do you think this is too much?

It looks okay ish at first, but if I was a client and had a long string of replys going back and forth with it on, I would probably get tired at the sight of it. A couple of links/images should be fine.

DeckstarDeluxe
13-08-2010, 02:41 PM
Cant really add anything that Martin hasnt already covered. :)

DeckstarDeluxe
28-03-2011, 02:44 PM
Bump to this.

Looking at the low rate of uplighting and extras been taken with my events and while it is covered in my template (which has been editted to address this) I was thinking of trying an email signature.

If anyone wants to send me theirs [email protected] for ideas that would be great :)