PDA

View Full Version : Volume via Laptop versus CDs

Megamix
13-08-2010, 02:18 PM
The volume via my laptop is considerably lower than straight from CD - is this to be expected?

D.J Abie
13-08-2010, 02:32 PM
Hi

Its a very common problem its all to do with the soundcard in your laptop.

I had the same problem until I bought an external usb soundblaster soundcard, Now my laptop is louder & has better quality sound than C.Ds.

Also make sure your MP3 Music is good quality with a birate above 128 kps.

The larger the music file = Less compression = Better quality sound

MP3 converting software is easily available free on the net.

Good Luck !!!

DJMaxG
13-08-2010, 02:34 PM
The volume via my laptop is considerably lower than straight from CD - is this to be expected?

How do you connect your laptop to your sound system?

CRAZY K
13-08-2010, 02:38 PM

Depends whats between them.

i.e. Laptop direct to mixer from headphone socket--- or sound card.

When customers roll up and ask for a direct play out from their laptop headphone socket sounds pretty loud to me.

Maybe you need to increase the output volume on the laptop:confused:

Megamix
13-08-2010, 02:56 PM
i use a macbook via a USB on a Numark CM200USB - the laptop is on near enough max but I do have it on AutoGain

DJMaxG
13-08-2010, 03:00 PM
i use a macbook via a USB on a Numark CM200USB - the laptop is on near enough max but I do have it on AutoGain

CDs tend to be recorded in WAV (1411kbps), where`s the majority of laptop users will have the files stored in MP3 (320kbps or under) file format.

Without knowing what bit rates you use, and without going into high end studio sound cards, I would say that you have mostly done everything to get the sound quality sounding decent.

Mark Wild
13-08-2010, 03:01 PM

This is probably what you need to do, also if your mp3 files are compressed to hard they will indeed sound quieter than CD's.

DJMaxG
13-08-2010, 03:43 PM
Depends whats between them.

The volume control on the laptop is for the laptop soundcard. The OP is using the CM200USB. (the laptop sound dial has no control over it)

Excalibur
13-08-2010, 03:55 PM
I found I struggled to get enough volume direct from the socket on the laptop. An external soundcard is a far better bet. I had no probs with the Soundblaster, but the Numark IO is better still, and two outputs.

Mark Wild
13-08-2010, 04:00 PM
I found I struggled to get enough volume direct from the socket on the alptop. An external soundcard is a far better bet. I had no probs with the Soundblaster, but the Numark IO is better still, and two outputs.

I'd never use the internal sound card from the lappy as they are normally kak :)

WWDJ
13-08-2010, 04:51 PM
I'd never use the internal sound card from the lappy as they are normally kak :)

.. and prone to ground loop noise.

if you are serious about using a laptop as main playout then get a decent soundcard. i use the Native Instruments Audio 4DJ. Built like a tank and super loud. it comes in at about £160 which is expensive but when you hear it on a big system you can see why.

DJMaxG
13-08-2010, 05:24 PM
I found I struggled to get enough volume direct from the socket on the laptop. An external soundcard is a far better bet. I had no probs with the Soundblaster, but the Numark IO is better still, and two outputs.

Another point is that they arent built to deliver Professional audio. The general idea to to plug your headphones in to maybe watch last nights episode of Corrie on. I hooked my laptop into my mixer and it sounded nothing like CDs. ;)

Megamix
13-08-2010, 05:57 PM
I thought I was using the built in sound card on the Numark CM200USB -:confused:
(and they are mostly not MP3 - AAIC or Apple Lossless)

Mark Wild
13-08-2010, 06:11 PM
I thought I was using the built in sound card on the Numark CM200USB -:confused:

What software are you using?

Megamix
13-08-2010, 06:22 PM
Im using DJay by Algoriddim - http://www.djay-software.com/ the quality is good but the volume just seems a a fair bit lower than CD -

DJMaxG
13-08-2010, 06:24 PM

If you have the CM200USB connected up via a USB cable, then yes, you are using the mixer`s soundcards. I was just clarifying (from experience) the lack of sound quality involved with using "built in" laptop soundcards, and why you may wish not to use them.
Max

CRAZY K
13-08-2010, 06:58 PM
The volume control on the laptop is for the laptop soundcard. The OP is using the CM200USB. (the laptop sound dial has no control over it)

He did not tell me this--how am I to know--im not a Crystal Ball gazer.

:bang:

Re Marks comment on MP3 being quieter than CD because of file size--thats news to me Mark--not noticed any difference:confused:

Mark Wild
13-08-2010, 07:01 PM
Im using DJay by Algoriddim - http://www.djay-software.com/ the quality is good but the volume just seems a a fair bit lower than CD -

I'm not familiar with that software at all but I see it has an auto-gain feature is there anything in preferences that allows you to amplify the default settings of this feature maybe? Is the software detecting your sound card properly? Just a thought.

Re Marks comment on MP3 being quieter than CD because of file size--thats news to me Mark--not noticed any difference:confused:

Low bit-rate affects volume, does it not? However this is not the case for Megamix as he uses 320's and lossless.

DJMaxG
13-08-2010, 07:21 PM
He did not tell me this--how am I to know--im not a Crystal Ball gazer

Who didnt tell you what?

I didn`t expect you to know anything, I was just explaining.

Excalibur
13-08-2010, 07:56 PM

You are indeed, and I apologise for missing that first time round. :o :o :o

On a similar tack to Mark, is the default gain set low on your software? Does this make your computer tracks quieter than the CD's? :confused:

Megamix
13-08-2010, 11:46 PM
its set at Auto Gain to keep the changes in levels from rising - I can get more volume by raising the gain on the software - but the CDS still seem louder!

MagicMusic
14-08-2010, 07:38 AM
Low bit-rate affects volume, does it not? However this is not the case for Megamix as he uses 320's and lossless.

Simply put, yes.

Compressed formats remove certain (allegedly) inaudible frequencies from the file allowing the end file to be smaller in size.

The by product of that is that there is a less 'full' signal passed through to the speakers creating a percieved drop in level.

I have found that through my system it is the bass which tends to disapear :(

Mark Wild
14-08-2010, 09:09 AM
Simply put, yes.

Compressed formats remove certain (allegedly) inaudible frequencies from the file allowing the end file to be smaller in size.

The by product of that is that there is a less 'full' signal passed through to the speakers creating a percieved drop in level.

I have found that through my system it is the bass which tends to disapear :(

I suppose taking the quote from my post does make it look like I have little understanding of what a compressed MP3 file is ;)

MagicMusic
14-08-2010, 09:22 AM
Dindn't mean it like that at all.

I only meant to quote the part "low bit - rate affects volume, does it not" :)

CRAZY K
14-08-2010, 09:53 AM
Who didnt tell you what?

I didn`t expect you to know anything, I was just explaining.

In post 8 you were suggesting that I didnt understand.

I can only understand the facts--which were not stated until later.

I dont take kindly to condescending remarks thanks--my working experience
is btw that as a temporary measure using the onboard soundcard quality from my Laptop is quite reasonable--im not sure why you now compare it with CDs anyway--isnt everyone using MP3s these days:confused: