PDA

View Full Version : Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh. Excel 2007

Excalibur
14-08-2010, 09:32 AM
Help please. Life was so simple before this " upgrade" .

Top show borders on a sheet, I clicked top left to select all, clicked the border piccies, and everything had a border, on screen and printed. Now I've asked help, and it's gibberish. :bang: Help please. Thanks in advance. :o :o :o :o :o

Corabar Entertainment
14-08-2010, 10:43 AM
Not sure if it's just because I'm tired, but I can't understand the question. :confused: :daft: :confused:

Excalibur
14-08-2010, 11:09 AM
Not sure if it's just because I'm tired, but I can't understand the question. :confused: :daft: :confused:

Probably because of a typo. :o :o :o :o :o :o

I wish to print a page in Excel 2007, and have all the column borders print.

In the old version, I clicked the top left corner, which selected all. I then clicked the borders symbol, and everything I saw on the screen was printed.

In 2007, it appears that if the cells are empty, they can't be selected for this. :confused: The select all button doesn't seem to work as it did.:bang:

I've found a workround, but it's long winded, and clumsy, a lot like me.

Corabar Entertainment
14-08-2010, 11:41 AM
Still not sure I understand Peter, but hopefully some of this might help.....

When you put the borders in, only put it on the cells you want it to apply to by selecting the relevant cells before you apply the borders. (Click the first cell, hold down the mouse button, move to last cell and let go and the cells will be selected.) Then apply the border.

If you need to select everything, use Ctrl A.

If you want to print part of a document, select all the cells you want to print (see the first point), then when you call up the print menu (either via File->Print, or by Ctrl->P) there is a section (bottom left) that says 'Print What': choose 'Selection'.

Not sure if any of that has any relevance to what you're doing..... but hopefully something hit the mark! :D

Excalibur
14-08-2010, 11:50 AM
Still not sure I understand Peter, but hopefully some of this might help.....

When you put the borders in, only put it on the cells you want it to apply to by selecting the relevant cells before you apply the borders. (Click the first cell, hold down the mouse button, move to last cell and let go and the cells will be selected.) Then apply the border.

If you need to select everything, use Ctrl A.

If you want to print part of a document, select all the cells you want to print (see the first point), then when you call up the print menu (either via File->Print, or by Ctrl->P) there is a section (bottom left) that says 'Print What': choose 'Selection'.

Not sure if any of that has any relevance to what you're doing..... but hopefully something hit the mark! :D
As usual, you're pretty much on the mark, Angela. It just doesn't seem as simple as the old version. :bang: Progress, eh? One step forward, two steps back. ;)

Corabar Entertainment
14-08-2010, 11:53 AM
I think it's more a case of 'familiarity' Peter - rather than it being easier/harder.

You'll find it straight-forward enough once you've got your head around it.

Big Mix Mobile Disco
15-08-2010, 06:39 PM
I think it's more a case of 'familiarity' Peter - rather than it being easier/harder.

You'll find it straight-forward enough once you've got your head around it.

Agreed, all the menu items are in different locations, I'm just about to upgrade to office 2010 - wish me luck with that lol

CRAZY K
15-08-2010, 06:54 PM
Help please. Life was so simple before this " upgrade" .

Top show borders on a sheet, I clicked top left to select all, clicked the border piccies, and everything had a border, on screen and printed. Now I've asked help, and it's gibberish. :bang: Help please. Thanks in advance. :o :o :o :o :o

Peter, why are you on the upgrade?

I recently bought a new Lappie with a free trial latest Microsoft stuff including the latest Word and Excel.

I tried Word and found it ridiculously complicated for someone who wants to type a letter or document and then save it---never cracked it.:eek:

If like me you need complete simplicity take a tip--go back to 2003 versions--I did and never wasted any more time--possibly like me you dont need loads of gimmicks and extras that you will NEVER use.

I think the newer versions are geared more for businesses with far more complicated requirements than Entertainers.

Maybe someone knows differently,

TR2K Productions
15-08-2010, 07:01 PM
Agreed, all the menu items are in different locations, I'm just about to upgrade to office 2010 - wish me luck with that lol

Ouch 2010.

once you get used to it, you will wonder how you used anything else, i was a pre beta tester and it took me about 6 months of using it to get used to it.

add this to the fact that if your going all out on a presentation or spreadsheet or database & save it, most of the time its not backwards compatible to earlier versions, as i found out when e-mailling a c.v for the wife :(