PDA

View Full Version : How To Sort Out Duplicate Tracks ?

Booche
15-08-2010, 08:08 PM
Hi All,

Basically i want to sort out my music so i dont have duplicate tracks etc is there any software that will help me do this or is it a case of having to go through them all one by one :( and also to help sort them out in genres 50's, 60's, 70's etc

Cheers Dave :)

Edit: Windows based ;)

flatliners
15-08-2010, 08:25 PM
If you find out do let me know

MagicMusic
15-08-2010, 08:43 PM
iTunes has a "show duplicates" option. Just select them and delete them from your hard drive :)

Booche
15-08-2010, 08:48 PM
iTunes has a "show duplicates" option. Just select them and delete them from your hard drive :)

Not got itunes but i think i might have to get and try :)

Fingers crossed lol

BeerFunk
15-08-2010, 08:56 PM
I use 'Easy Duplicate Finder' - does exactly what it says on the tin :)

Mind you, I haven't tried it out on music files, but I'm sure it would work OK. There are sometimes slight differences in file sizes due to ID3 tagging, I'm not sure if it would pick those up?

Excalibur
15-08-2010, 08:57 PM
Hi All,

Basically i want to sort out my music so i dont have duplicate tracks etc is there any software that will help me do this or is it a case of having to go through them all one by one :( and also to help sort them out in genres 50's, 60's, 70's etc

Edit: Windows based ;)

The one, the only, the incomparable:

Media Monkey

Booche
15-08-2010, 09:12 PM

Media Monkey

Ive got that but i couldnt get it to find my dupes :( and before you say it YES i did make sure i had some lol :p :sofa:

yourdj
15-08-2010, 09:22 PM

Cheers. Cleared a few up. in the file option :)

-

rob1963
15-08-2010, 10:13 PM

All my music is stored in itunes, so I've also used this a number of times.

However, I've discovered it doesn't always work, as clicking on "show duplicates" comes up with nothing, but when scrolling through my music, I sometimes notice the odd duplicate, but I've no idea why these aren't always picked up.

:shrug:

Excalibur
15-08-2010, 10:29 PM
Ive got that but i couldnt get it to find my dupes :( and before you say it YES i did make sure i had some lol :p :sofa:

Library>Files to edit> duplicate titles. Perhaps you're on the free version? It's lacking a few valuable bells and whistles.

Mark Wild
16-08-2010, 11:49 AM
I use dupeguru http://www.hardcoded.net/dupeguru_me/

funkymook
16-08-2010, 12:08 PM
I went through and deleted loads of duplicate tracks, using various methods including iTunes duplicate check and also sorting by track title and deleting manually.

Then realised I often search for particular compilation cd's (especially disco, motown and funk) for inspiration - but had deleted many of the tracks from them, some only had 3 or 3 tracks left - so put them all back in! At some point I'll get around to making my own playlists so will be able to get rid of the dupes again!

Also be careful you know what version of the tune you are leaving yourself with - you could end up cueing a track and then realising it's a really bad live version!

Pe7e
16-08-2010, 12:31 PM
All my music is stored in itunes, so I've also used this a number of times.

However, I've discovered it doesn't always work, as clicking on "show duplicates" comes up with nothing, but when scrolling through my music, I sometimes notice the odd duplicate, but I've no idea why these aren't always picked up.

Usually spelling and punctuation marks in one of the fields is different ie if the artist is listed Tina Turner on one copy and Turner Tina on the other this could be the problem or maybe The Who on one copy and Who on the other etc etc

Shaun
16-08-2010, 01:12 PM

Media Monkey

I didn't know Media Monkey had that function. I learn something new every day.

I've used Vistinita Duplicate Finder (http://www.vistanita.com/) in the past. Does just what it says on the tin.

rob1963
16-08-2010, 02:26 PM
Usually spelling and punctuation marks in one of the fields is different ie if the artist is listed Tina Turner on one copy and Turner Tina on the other this could be the problem or maybe The Who on one copy and Who on the other etc etc

That was indeed one reason why many of my duplicate tracks were not picked out my itunes, but there have been many more examples where the artist & title fields are 100% identical, but itunes still fails to recognise them as duplicates.

huma
16-08-2010, 04:44 PM
Here is another vote for Itunes

notroubleclubber
17-08-2010, 09:20 PM
I find that sometimes finding duplicates isnt all that its cracked up to be. I tend to put well known frequently used songs into folders made up of genres (ie, 60s, party, motown etc) but i find that sometimes i have a whole album (for example the best of) that i frequently use certain tracks from but like to keep the whole album. However i dont want to take away the more used tracks from the album as then i have an incomplete album with tracks all over the place so i tend to copy a track from the album and put it in a genre folder.

DiscoPromotions
22-01-2012, 11:14 AM
I love media monkey, but the only problems are:

Not available for Mac
Have to sync with iTunes to allow Virtual DJ to pick them up
Not able to sync Apple IOS 5, it was brilliant when IOS 4.

Media Monkey is great as it allows me to file music with my preferences which you can not do in iTunes.

CRAZY K
22-01-2012, 03:49 PM
I love media monkey, but the only problems are:

Not available for Mac
Have to sync with iTunes to allow Virtual DJ to pick them up
Not able to sync Apple IOS 5, it was brilliant when IOS 4.

Media Monkey is great as it allows me to file music with my preferences which you can not do in iTunes.

Peter kindly introduced me to MM but the trouble is it does not find duplicates and put them in a folder.

I was enthusiastic to start.

BUT

You have to trawl from A to Z to find them.

I gave up--HD space is so big now who cares IF I have 35 versions of 9 to 5 and 23 of YMCA?