PDA

View Full Version : Programs on external drive?

Corabar Entertainment
19-08-2010, 11:30 AM
This may be an extremely stupid question, but please don't laugh :p

Is it possible to store program files on an external drive, or do they have to be installed on the computer's main internal drive?

(I've always thought the latter, but it would be extremely convenient if it was the former :D )

Vectis
19-08-2010, 11:42 AM
If the program's installer allows you to choose the external drive, then yes, you can install to the external drive.

But don't then believe that this would give you "portable programs" because the vast majority, if not all, Windoze applications require hooks and settings to be made to the registry (if you like the 'brain' of Windoze) and won't work properly without these. Some also dump initialisation and configuration files onto the C drive too, often in the Windoze directory itself.

Different situation in the Mac world, mind ;) - well for many apps anyway.

So, in a nutshell, if you're wanting to do this just to free up space on the system drive, go for it. But if you're wanting to carry one copy of an app to multiple computers, forget it.

As ever with these things, the 80/20 rule applies. What I just said above applies in the majority of cases and I'm sure some smart bottom will produce examples in the minority.

Corabar Entertainment
19-08-2010, 12:11 PM
So, in a nutshell, if you're wanting to do this just to free up space on the system drive, go for it. But if you're wanting to carry one copy of an app to multiple computers, forget it.It's the former - so that's music to my ears!

Thanks Martin! :D

:thanks:

DazzyD
19-08-2010, 12:39 PM
The vast majority of windows applications will allow you to choose where you want to install them. But you need to do this at the installation stage. You cannot simply copy program folders and expect the software to still work. This is because, during installation, and like Martin points out, the program will make changes/additions to the registry which tell your computer where to find the different components that make up your software. If you just try to move files and folders, the registry links will be broken and your computer won't find what it is looking for.

If the program's installer allows you to choose the external drive, then yes, you can install to the external drive.

But don't then believe that this would give you "portable programs" because the vast majority, if not all, Windoze applications require hooks and settings to be made to the registry (if you like the 'brain' of Windoze) and won't work properly without these. Some also dump initialisation and configuration files onto the C drive too, often in the Windoze directory itself.

Different situation in the Mac world, mind ;) - well for many apps anyway.

So, in a nutshell, if you're wanting to do this just to free up space on the system drive, go for it. But if you're wanting to carry one copy of an app to multiple computers, forget it.

As ever with these things, the 80/20 rule applies. What I just said above applies in the majority of cases and I'm sure some smart bottom will produce examples in the minority.

I'm sure Martin must be on Steve Jobs marketing team. I think he must get commission every time he praises the Mac and/or Apple. It's the only logical explanation!!! :D

Cowlinn
19-08-2010, 02:53 PM
The vast majority of windows applications will allow you to choose where you want to install them. But you need to do this at the installation stage. You cannot simply copy program folders and expect the software to still work. This is because, during installation, and like Martin points out, the program will make changes/additions to the registry which tell your computer where to find the different components that make up your software. If you just try to move files and folders, the registry links will be broken and your computer won't find what it is looking for.

I'm sure Martin must be on Steve Jobs marketing team. I think he must get commission every time he praises the Mac and/or Apple. It's the only logical explanation!!! :D

Or it's got something to do with the fact that Apple are miles ahead of any of it's competitors ;)

DazzyD
22-08-2010, 06:56 PM
Or it's got something to do with the fact that Apple are miles ahead of any of it's competitors ;)

In 1992/93 I worked for an authorised Apple Reseller as their in-house programmer. All I can say is how things have changed! ;)

notroubleclubber
23-08-2010, 07:44 AM
Wouldnt touch apple with a barge pole. Ive had macs,ipad,iphone and ipods and all have broke in some way or another (not my fault!) within the first year!

Vectis
23-08-2010, 09:08 AM
Wouldnt touch apple with a barge pole. Ive had macs,ipad,iphone and ipods and all have broke in some way or another (not my fault!) within the first year!

Man, have you been unlucky.

Touch wood I've never had an Apple product go bad aside from one iMac which was delivered with a (courier induced) scratch on the screen.

Corabar Steve
23-08-2010, 09:20 AM
:offtopic: Given the fact that the thread referes to a PC & not a Mac & the last few posts haven't even gone near the question asked. :offtopic:

:ontopic:

Larry B Entertainment
23-08-2010, 10:26 AM

I think he gets commision every time he types "Apple Mac" :beer1:

Corabar Steve
23-08-2010, 10:32 AM
Which part of off topic was hard to understand, so that can make it clearer next time I post it?:sj:

Larry B Entertainment
23-08-2010, 10:47 AM
My last post was a bit of light banter, thats all.

Corabar Steve
23-08-2010, 10:49 AM
Still off topic though http://planetsmilies.net/vicious-smiley-1763.gif (http://planetsmilies.net)