PDA

View Full Version : Bad night

Chris G
22-08-2010, 11:52 AM
Did a Wedding anniversary last night in a not very salubrious area.
Over 100 people invited, only around 25 people turned up.
Really did try to do my best but it wasn't really happening.
Lots of tears at the end (thankfully not mine)
and a near punch-up between opposing sides of the family. Definitely a night to forget.

Seems like the dj doing the function room next to me had a similar sort of turnout - roughly 25 in attendance .
Has left a bad taste this morning.

NKR
22-08-2010, 11:58 AM
Did a Wedding anniversary last night in a not very salubrious area.
Over 100 people invited, only around 25 people turned up.
Really did try to do my best but it wasn't really happening.
Lots of tears at the end (thankfully not mine)
and a near punch-up between opposing sides of the family. Definitely a night to forget.

Seems like the dj doing the function room next to me had a similar sort of turnout - roughly 25 in attendance .
Has left a bad taste this morning.

The answer is in the first line. Avoid poor areas!!!!

simon1969
22-08-2010, 12:45 PM

That's a bit unfair and you can never judge how good or bad night is gonna be, whether it is a rough or posh area!!
Ive worked in some very poor areas in the North East and loads of people turned on most ocassions and there has been no trouble!!
Ive worked at posh do's and the people were nasty,rude and TRIED to treat me like some sort of servant!!!
You can't refuse work because you don't like the area!!!
Flipping eck some of us wouldnt work again if that was the case!! :)

NKR
22-08-2010, 01:11 PM
That's a bit unfair and you can never judge how good or bad night is gonna be, whether it is a rough or posh area!!
Ive worked in some very poor areas in the North East and loads of people turned on most ocassions and there has been no trouble!!
Ive worked at posh do's and the people were nasty,rude and TRIED to treat me like some sort of servant!!!
Flipping eck some of us wouldnt work again if that was the case!! :)

I can and always do. I have a list of venues and areas I will not work in because of the clientelle I have experienced there on more than one occassion.

Shakermaker Promotions
22-08-2010, 01:24 PM
Livewire - I refuse work in certain areas because it simply isn't worth the hassle. Watching the clock all night as well as my equipment etc isn't worth it. I know the ones to steer clear of and I do...simple as.

I do agree with you on the rudeness thing though. I have done functions where you can see the budget is small and they have been crackers with people who just want to have a good party. I have also done some functions where the budget has obviously been mad and I have been spoken to like a piece of the proverbial.

surround sounds
22-08-2010, 02:32 PM
I worked in a poor area this friday and sat at the same place and to be honest althou it was not a very well paid gig(£180 a night and i could leave my equipment setup over night for the sat),i had 2 excellent nights.Friday night a had a teenager birthday party with 200 kids and sat was engagment with just over 200 adults.I sometimes think in poor areas they want to go out and have fun.Yet when you sometimes do more classy areas they do not know what fun is.

soundmaster mobile disco
22-08-2010, 05:25 PM
Unfortunatly we all come across gigs like this at some point.you sound as if you tried your best.

In my experience i often find that the areas in which we think are not so glamarous turn out to be some of the best nights,as the crowd are allways up for a good night.

surround sounds
22-08-2010, 05:44 PM
Unfortunatly we all come across gigs like this at some point.you sound as if you tried your best.

In my experience i often find that the areas in which we think are not so glamarous turn out to be some of the best nights,as the crowd are allways up for a good night.

Yes i agree with that soundmaster.I did a posh wedding a few months ago and there was a big punch up.

DazzyD
22-08-2010, 10:57 PM

Well, that wouldn't make good business sense to me as my catchment area contains some of the poorest areas in the country. However, I find that the people tend to be friendly and always out to enjoy themselves. These people don't get to party 24-7. They work hard for the low money paid by employers in this area and, when they get to enjoy themselves, they definately do.

I also think it's a very crass comment to make.

Yes i agree with that soundmaster.I did a posh wedding a few months ago and there was a big punch up.

I find weddings are more prone to trouble than any other function regardless of the venue. People have been drinking for large parts of the day, stress levels are high, families whose members don't always get along - it's the perfect recipe for bother! But, luckily for me, the trouble has never involved me and I've always been able to walk away at the end. ;)

simon1969
23-08-2010, 05:52 AM
Well, that wouldn't make good business sense to me as my catchment area contains some of the poorest areas in the country. However, I find that the people tend to be friendly and always out to enjoy themselves. These people don't get to party 24-7. They work hard for the low money paid by employers in this area and, when they get to enjoy themselves, they definately do.

I also think it's a very crass comment to make.

I find weddings are more prone to trouble than any other function regardless of the venue. People have been drinking for large parts of the day, stress levels are high, families whose members don't always get along - it's the perfect recipe for bother! But, luckily for me, the trouble has never involved me and I've always been able to walk away at the end. ;)

I agree Daz used to do some of the venues at that neck of the woods Hendon,Grangetown etc, and where I live now it wouldn't be practical for me to refuse business, on account of the area.
I'm glad some of you have a choice which venues you work at, and my equipment has never been damaged and is unlikely to be aswell (I do have insurance though :) )...

CRAZY K
23-08-2010, 06:46 AM

As it happens thats exactly what we do here in the Barn Dance/Wedding market after many years of experiences, good and bad--more connected to the problem of time wasters, idiots and tyre kickers rather than problems at the venue.

Although the two appear to be related.:eek:

Works for us.;)

rob1963
23-08-2010, 07:18 AM

That depends on how desperate you are for the work!

I have refused and would refuse work for all sorts of reasons, and a dodgy area would certainly be one of them.

I find weddings are more prone to trouble than any other function regardless of the venue.

That amazes me, as my experience has been the complete opposite.

I've been doing weddings on a regular basis for over 25 years, and can only recall ONE occasion where there was trouble, and that was way back in the early days.

I think this is partly because you're less likely to get trouble at family occasions (compared to if all the punters were 18, for example), and partly because most people would not want to do anything to ruin the most important day in the lives of two of their friends or family.

Excalibur
23-08-2010, 07:34 AM
I think this is partly because you're less likely to get trouble at family occasions (compared to if all the punters were 18, for example), and partly because most people would not want to do anything to ruin the most important day in the lives of two of their friends or family.

With the utmost respect and deference due to a man of your experience and knowledge in this area:

COBBLERS!

I have had just as much trouble at weddings/other family events as any other function type. ( Not a lot, but just as much ). I have found no correlation between the wealth/poverty of the area and the problems faced. ( Though there are places even I would be very wary of working in ! ) I have seen/received
atrocious behaviour from some very wealthy/high class punters, and been treated like an exalted guest by some at the other end of the scale. You can't judge a book by its cover.

rob1963
23-08-2010, 07:48 AM
With the utmost respect and deference due to a man of your experience and knowledge in this area:

COBBLERS!

I have had just as much trouble at weddings/other family events as any other function type. ( Not a lot, but just as much ). I have found no correlation between the wealth/poverty of the area and the problems faced. ( Though there are places even I would be very wary of working in ! ) I have seen/received
atrocious behaviour from some very wealthy/high class punters, and been treated like an exalted guest by some at the other end of the scale. You can't judge a book by its cover.

If what I'm saying is cobblers, maybe you'd be kind enough to explain why you think I've only had trouble at one wedding out of about 1,000 (a "non-trouble" rate of 99.9%) whereas I've had a number of problems at the comparatively small number of 18ths I've done...which were NOT family occasions & where all the punters were also around the age of 18?

Excalibur
23-08-2010, 08:02 AM
If what I'm saying is cobblers, maybe you'd be kind enough to explain why you think I've only had trouble at one wedding out of about 1,000 (a "non-trouble" rate of 99.9%) whereas I've had a number of problems at the comparatively small number of 18ths I've done...which were NOT family occasions & where all the punters were also around the age of 18?

Seriously, I have no theory why your figures are the way they are. I'm merely saying that your experience is totally at odds with mine, and I can find no correlation between the type of function, and the likelihood of trouble. :confused: Regional differences? :D :D :D :D

funkymook
23-08-2010, 10:42 AM
There is a scientific equation that explains it:
:muppet: + :beer1: = :boxer:

Corabar Steve
23-08-2010, 10:51 AM
Indeed & it makes no difference whether the muppet concerned is a toff or a tramp (or anything in between)