PDA

View Full Version : Passive Sound Systems For <1k

DeckstarDeluxe
24-08-2010, 11:13 AM
Got some money coming to me soon and seems like a good time to invest in a new sound system. The peaveys have been good and are loud but I want something with a better sound and are nicer to look at from the clients POV.

I also want to do away with the speaker stands idealy so a 2 tops\bins combo would be prefered.

Should be able to handle at least 100 people but 200 would naturally be prefered.

RCF is the first brand to jump into my head and they sound nice but are there any others that people have heard themselves which they would recommend? Naturally I'll be listening to them before buying myself just looking for ideas.

TONYTIGER
24-08-2010, 01:09 PM
Got some money coming to me soon and seems like a good time to invest in a new sound system. The peaveys have been good and are loud but I want something with a better sound and are nicer to look at from the clients POV.

I also want to do away with the speaker stands idealy so a 2 topsbins combo would be prefered.

Should be able to handle at least 100 people but 200 would naturally be prefered.

RCF is the first brand to jump into my head and they sound nice but are there any others that people have heard themselves which they would recommend? Naturally I'll be listening to them before buying myself just looking for ideas.

How much money,can you afford a Nexo system simply the best and so cute. sorry just seen the 1k i take it that means £ 1000 forget nexo you wont even get a RCF system for that budget.
Have a look at HK audio passive stuff not bad.

DeckstarDeluxe
24-08-2010, 01:12 PM
How much money,can you afford a Nexo system simply the best and so cute.

1k and its in the title......

TONYTIGER
24-08-2010, 03:07 PM
1k and its in the title......

I know that read my post.

Hi i know that please read my post 1k could mean 1000 watts

Sapphire Disco
24-08-2010, 03:41 PM
Just a thought I don't want to be slated because they don't match but I already have a pair of these and for the money I think they look and perform well http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-x-NJD-400W-RMS-PA-Professional-Bass-Speaker-Cabinets-/400141072472?pt=UK_ConElec_SpeakersPASystems_RL

I have always fancied a pair of these to go with them I know it's a little over budget but sometimes you can get a deal on them http://www.disco-world.co.uk/speakers/fbt-maxx4-speakers-pair-/prod_1354.html

Think they would work well together not too heavy and smaller venues would be OK with just the tops.

DAVESOUNDS SERVICES
24-08-2010, 04:13 PM
Hiya Diamond!
The NJD bass bins are Pretty good (we fitted a pair into a pub 4 years ago )
theyve been hammered hard by a variety of visiting "Artists" and are still giving good service

I cant say anything about the FBTs as the adverts rubbish as is the price and it doent even say if there passive or active!
Personally id not go near them as they look like Skytec Clones!?!
Even if the drivers are gold plated those skytec plastic boxes are poor quality

let us know how you get on

Cheers

DAVESOUNDS SERVICES
24-08-2010, 04:16 PM
If you must buy the fbt things here they are 300 quid cheaper i still think the boxes are poo though!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/B-stock-FBT-MaxX4-300w-12-1-8-Ohm-Speaker-/200510584952?pt=UK_ConElec_SpeakersPASystems_RL

DAVE

Sapphire Disco
24-08-2010, 05:10 PM
Hi Dave I've only heard good things about the FBTs I'm led to believe they are as good if not better than RCFs and lighter, I've not actually heard them but then sound is objective, anyone know about the FBTs ?

Corabar Steve
24-08-2010, 08:24 PM
If you must buy the fbt things here they are 300 quid cheaper i still think the boxes are poo though!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/B-stock-FBT-MaxX4-300w-12-1-8-Ohm-Speaker-/200510584952?pt=UK_ConElec_SpeakersPASystems_RL

DAVE
Man that's an ugly speaker

DeckstarDeluxe
24-08-2010, 08:25 PM
Yeah lets strike those FBT off the list.

Main reason for changing is so it looks better than my rather old peavey's

DAVESOUNDS SERVICES
24-08-2010, 08:52 PM
Sounds like weve sorted that then

sent from the Davesounds laptop of steel using pubs slow wi fi

Cheers

Sapphire Disco
24-08-2010, 11:55 PM
Man that's an ugly speaker

Why is it all the speakers I like people say they are ugly? I love them :D

TONYTIGER
25-08-2010, 07:17 AM
Not that i am a fan of plastic boxes but FBT are some of the best sounding speakers in this field sod the looks they sound great.

soundscapes
25-08-2010, 04:55 PM
wharfedale titans ? great sound, good looking and available passive or active and within budget.

NKR
25-08-2010, 07:32 PM
Not that i am a fan of plastic boxes but FBT are some of the best sounding speakers in this field sod the looks they sound great.

I don't like plastic cabs either. Birch Ply is the only way to build a cab.

Sapphire Disco
25-08-2010, 07:37 PM
I don't like plastic cabs either. Birch Ply is the only way to build a cab.

Could you tell the difference blindfolded say 3 of each plastic and ply top quality cabs and get every one right ? maybe but I'm doubtful.

Excalibur
25-08-2010, 07:44 PM
Could you tell the difference blindfolded say 3 of each plastic and ply top quality cabs and get every one right ? maybe but I'm doubtful.

Who said anything about telling the difference? :confused: :confused: I just have a deep seated antipathy to the plastic abominations. :D :D :D

NKR
25-08-2010, 07:46 PM

Maybe not, but the top end cabs are still birch ply for a reason! I couldn't tell the difference between a Ford Mondeo and an Audi A4 driving past if I was blindfolded, but I would rather sandpaper my bits than drive a Mondeo - same thing really. Personal preference!

CRAZY K
25-08-2010, 10:16 PM
I also want to do away with the speaker stands idealy so a 2 topsbins combo would be prefered.

Bass bins for the UL15s maybe?

Only joking--certainly the RCF sound very good as tops--I have worked with them myself, but the guys whose system I used had different bass bins--:confused:

DeckstarDeluxe
26-08-2010, 12:28 AM
Bass bins for the UL15s maybe?

Only joking--certainly the RCF sound very good as tops--I have worked with them myself, but the guys whose system I used had different bass bins--:confused:

I will get the bins because they are ideal for outdoor or large events however most of my work is for 100 guests or less so just some nice looking speakers with quality of sound is what I'm looking for.

Excalibur
26-08-2010, 07:21 AM
I will get the bins because they are ideal for outdoor or large events however most of my work is for 100 guests or less so just some nice looking speakers with quality of sound is what I'm looking for.

Nice looking cabs, lovely sound, under £1000, hmmmm. Now who sells cabs that tick those boxes I wonder? :whistle: ( But according to the website, they're all out of stock again. :confused: These boats from China must be very sporadic. )