PDA

View Full Version : DJ-ing On A Laptop

dj_ags
22-07-2006, 07:33 PM
As i have proved on another thread, i am a complete novice to PC DJ-ing, so could a few of you who are experts on it give me a bit of advice.

Im just wondering really what is the best software to use for PC DJ-ing as my dad and I are thinking of going PC based rather than CD based which we are now!

Also, i am wondering if there is a better way of improving sound quality other than using an external soundcard?

Finally, i have been told that as soon as we make the transition to PC, we won't revert back to using CD Decks! Is this the general opinion between the PC DJ-ers amongst us?

Help appreciated in advance :)

soundlad
22-07-2006, 09:16 PM
virtual dj and sam broardcaster are some of the best out there!!!

I use this on my disco, it good beacase you can expand harddisks etc.....

http://intldirect.com/ebay/shuttle/xpc/g5690/11.jpg

pchapman74
22-07-2006, 10:48 PM
I have also just started dj'ing. I use PCDJ FX. It is a very good peice of software. I have a dedicated Laptop and an external 320gb hard drive. I also use a Gigaport connection to connect the pc to my amp. It works well and is very easy to use.

Check out PCDJ.co.uk

Thames Valley Discos
23-07-2006, 10:33 AM
I love it, will not be reverting back to cd. Make sure you rip your cd,s at 192 Kb or above and always back up your main HDD. Good luck.

Candybeatdiscos
23-07-2006, 10:34 AM
hey mate - for past year or two i have used ATOMIX software - very easy ti use and great for automixing / track selection etc, etc. Also i do recommend that you grab yourself an exteral soundcard in order to better your quality - i always thought mines was ok till the guys hear suggested getting one, the quality blew me away

BeerFunk
23-07-2006, 11:46 AM
hey mate - for past year or two i have used ATOMIX software - very easy ti use and great for automixing / track selection etc, etc. Also i do recommend that you grab yourself an exteral soundcard in order to better your quality - i always thought mines was ok till the guys hear suggested getting one, the quality blew me away
Not heard of many DJs using ATOMIX? Or is that AUTOMIX :teeth: (only kidding, I've never used so can't comment)

I also hear a lot about how external soundcards raise the quality so much - if that's the case, how does the sound quality compare to a decent CD setup? Answer = the quality must again be significantly higher

Solitaire Events Ltd
23-07-2006, 12:18 PM
Not heard of many DJs using ATOMIX? Or is that AUTOMIX :teeth: (only kidding, I've never used so can't comment)

I also hear a lot about how external soundcards raise the quality so much - if that's the case, how does the sound quality compare to a decent CD setup? Answer = the quality must again be significantly higher

Not really, because don't forget the Mp3 is compressed and you still lose certain bits of it, therefore affording lower quality.

I personally think it's quite hard for anyone to notice the difference, but if you did a side by side comparison, cd and mp3, then you would.

jwpentgroup
23-07-2006, 12:28 PM
All my mp3s are ripped at 320kbps and using an extenal Soundblaster Soundcard. When playing out it actually sounds far superior to when i played out using CD's on a Numark.

BeerFunk
23-07-2006, 12:46 PM
Not really, because don't forget the Mp3 is compressed and you still lose certain bits of it, therefore affording lower quality.

I personally think it's quite hard for anyone to notice the difference, but if you did a side by side comparison, cd and mp3, then you would.
Sorry, I worded it wrong, I meant that technically a CD setup is gonna have the best sound. Although, I agree that there would be little difference to the average listener

dj andy allwood
23-07-2006, 12:57 PM
what if the pc crashes????

Solitaire Events Ltd
23-07-2006, 01:03 PM
what if the pc crashes????

You carry backup.

I have 2 laptops and an Ipod just in case!

Sapphire Disco
23-07-2006, 01:17 PM
You carry backup.

I have 2 laptops and an Ipod just in case!

I think 2 laptops a must, unless you keep your CD decks and are ready to go with them straight away, if there is a problem.
Must admit I found it much more boring loading the music to my second laptop, but I wanted to do it at a higher quality and make sure there were no tracks I didn't own on the second one.
I am not in favour of an external hard drive, had one but one day it just decided not to work with my laptop, but still works with my old desktop.

Thames Valley Discos
23-07-2006, 03:22 PM
According to stats, ripping above 192, the human ear hears very little difference. Converting to MP3 removes the sounds normally not required, hence the file is very much smaller. Having said that, i rip at 224Kb.
I now carry main desk top for disco, laptop as backup with external ESI card. Main MP3,s on internal laptop HDD, with all MP3,s on external. So i think i cover crashes. Also carry selection of MP3 discs and spare mixer with inbuilt cd drives.(just incase). However, i,ve just started leaving cd,s at home, so was still a little nervous at first gig. Not sure why though?

poptart
23-07-2006, 07:38 PM
I have been using my trusty Apple iBook for the past few years with no crashes at all, I have started taking my iPod just in case, but the Mac seem to be very stable and I have never had one crash on me in fifteen years.

I only DJ for filling in sets between live band sets so I just use iTunes and for domestic gigs (weddings/parties etc) it works fine.

I am not even sure if there is any DJ pro mixing software available for Macs - anyone know?

Yes - mp3s do not sound exactly the same as CDs, but again in a domestic situation with dodgy room acoustics I don't think that the mainly drunk audience really can tell :beer: :)

leighinstoke
23-07-2006, 08:19 PM
I am not even sure if there is any DJ pro mixing software available for Macs - anyone know?

Megaseg - www.megaseg.com

or

DJ 1800 - www.dj1800.com

- both top of lists on google. I must admit being an ardent Mac user at home (5 Macs versus 2 PCs), I use PCDJ for DJing.

Leigh....

poptart
23-07-2006, 08:48 PM
Cool - thanks Leigh :teeth:

dj_ags
23-07-2006, 09:17 PM
Cheers for the advice guys :)

Looks like the PCDJ will be the system that we will probably go for, as it seems a more "hands on" piece of kit to use due to the controller! Also, the use of an external hard drive is a must for obvious reasons, so we'll opt for two of them as well due to backup purposes. We will almost definately opt to use an external sound card as well.

What i was thinking was how you would go from the laptop to an amp. I was thinking of going through out current mixer setup on channel 3, as it would allow for us to switch to the use of CD if anything was to go wrong with the laptop. Would this be the best way to do it?

Once again, thank you all for the advice you have given..and again sorry if i offended anyone in the other thread, i honestly didn't mean to with my obvious "sweeping statement"

Solitaire Events Ltd
23-07-2006, 09:26 PM
Cheers for the advice guys :)

What i was thinking was how you would go from the laptop to an amp. I was thinking of going through out current mixer setup on channel 3, as it would allow for us to switch to the use of CD if anything was to go wrong with the laptop. Would this be the best way to do it?

If you buy a USB soundcard, they normally have 2 03 3 sets of outputs and you just configure them to go to separate channels on your mixer.

It is quite hard to use the onboard mixer or just using one channel on your external mixer for 2 players.

poptart
23-07-2006, 09:42 PM
Here is s scoop - at NAMM this year (the American pro-music show) I have seen a DJ console that uses an iPod or equivilent mp3 player and a console type desk with screen and faders to mix from. Compact and bijoux - it looks great and I think it's a Numark product, I will do some research as I have a 60gb iPod and that holds alot of music....hmmmm.

Solitaire Events Ltd
23-07-2006, 09:49 PM
Here is s scoop - at NAMM this year (the American pro-music show) I have seen a DJ console that uses an iPod or equivilent mp3 player and a console type desk with screen and faders to mix from. Compact and bijoux - it looks great and I think it's a Numark product, I will do some research as I have a 60gb iPod and that holds alot of music....hmmmm.

Maybe not a scoop...

Are you talking about either the Cortex or the D2 director by any chance? :)

Thames Valley Discos
23-07-2006, 10:14 PM
thats old news.

Corabar Entertainment
23-07-2006, 10:19 PM
Well, I wouldn't quite say that...... it's been mentioned on here a few times recently and quite a few of us would like to know more about them, but 'old news' might be stretching it a bit! :)

Anyway, we don't know that was what poptart was talking about yet..... there may be others dipping their toes in the market as well!

Have a disco
24-07-2006, 12:11 AM
From the news today Microsoft have finalised a MP3 equivilant against IPOD they are about to release on the general market which means bye bye Ipod.... give it a year DJ devices will be about for general usage much in the current vein about to surface

Alex - Cream Ents
24-07-2006, 12:33 AM
Plasa 05 Numark (I think) stand had the Ipod mixer docking station, so technically you could call that old news...!

Solitaire Events Ltd
24-07-2006, 01:38 AM
From the news today Microsoft have finalised a MP3 equivilant against IPOD they are about to release on the general market which means bye bye Ipod....

I'm not quite sure how that works.

After all the X-box didn't get rid of the PS2 did it?

poptart
24-07-2006, 09:56 AM
http://www.zzounds.com/article/blog/post01.html

This is what I am on about - new to me :teeth:

dj andy allwood
24-07-2006, 10:35 AM
From the news today Microsoft have finalised a MP3 equivilant against IPOD they are about to release on the general market which means bye bye Ipod.... give it a year DJ devices will be about for general usage much in the current vein about to surface

well lets hope their battery lasts longer than 12 months lol :teeth:

Corabar Steve
24-07-2006, 11:15 AM
I think it's more likely that the actual effect (if any) will be a drop in the price of iPods

Shaun
24-07-2006, 11:50 AM
quite a few of us would like to know more about them :)

The noticable contenders are the cortex and the new Numark D2 (D Squared) Director.

The director looks sweet. CLICK (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5549796293151546579&q=d2+director)

Corabar Entertainment
24-07-2006, 12:40 PM
http://www.zzounds.com/article/blog/post01.html

This is what I am on about - new to me :teeth:Ah - you are talking about the ipod based ones - yes they have been around a while.

Personally, I don't think they will take off for mobile DJs (well, they certainly haven't so far :omg: ).

Take a look at the link that Shaun (Elite) has put in the last post for the Numark D2, and also at the
CORTEX (http://www.djsupply.com/proddetail.asp?prod=CortexHDC-1000) . These are the sort of things we thought you were talking about and the 'latest' developments :)

CRAZY K
24-07-2006, 12:40 PM
Mark, you may be thinking as the guys say of the Cortex or the Numark D2,
my Disco shop says the Numark D2 will be on demo at PLASA06 in September this year.

Personally I am waiting to see--wouldnt buy anything yet--also the Cortex is due for release next week in America, although im reluctant to buy anything from America without at least seeing how it works :sad:

CRAZY K

poptart
24-07-2006, 12:55 PM
Sorry

A bit out of the loop here compared with you guys - thanks for the info.

Regards :)

Corabar Entertainment
24-07-2006, 01:04 PM
Don't apologise! That's part of what the forum is all about..... one person finds out something, and then we ALL know about it! :teeth: :teeth:

BeerFunk
24-07-2006, 03:45 PM
I'm not quite sure how that works.

After all the X-box didn't get rid of the PS2 did it?
It's looking like the XB360 will trounce the PS3 though! :teeth:

poptart
24-07-2006, 04:01 PM
Megaseg - www.megaseg.com

or

DJ 1800 - www.dj1800.com

- both top of lists on google. I must admit being an ardent Mac user at home (5 Macs versus 2 PCs), I use PCDJ for DJing.

Leigh....

Leigh - have purchased the DJ 1800 s/w its works really well and is less than £40 - bargain :teeth:

leighinstoke
24-07-2006, 08:47 PM
Leigh - have purchased the DJ 1800 s/w its works really well and is less than £40 - bargain :teeth:

Glad you found the links useful - was talking to one of my former students today about all things Mac and brought up the subject of DJ software on Mac - and he couldn't praise DJ1800 highly enough.

I'd use it but the last iBook I brought into the house was swiped by the wife as she complained she was feeling left out so I stick with my G4 in my office, Linux laptop for around the house browsing (saddo alert!) and other laptop for PCDJ.

Hope the software serves you well!

Leigh....

dj andy allwood
26-07-2006, 08:45 AM
It's looking like the XB360 will trounce the PS3 though! :teeth:

dont the x-box people say that everytime the new consoles are released but then the playstation wins hands down everytime??? :)

BeerFunk
26-07-2006, 08:59 AM
dont the x-box people say that everytime the new consoles are released but then the playstation wins hands down everytime??? :)
Er... what?!

There has been one XBox, and there was no clear winner between the XBox and PS2. However, the unnecessary high cost of the PS3 (because of Sony's refusal to use a normal DVD drive) could very well be it's downfall.