PDA

View Full Version : Van insurance issues

Ricesnaps
23-07-2006, 10:11 AM
As most of you know, I'm in the market for a van to replace the trailer. However, I am fairly certain that it won't fit inside the garage.

Therefore, those of you who have vans, are you covered for leaving the gear in the van overnight. Surely there are times when you get back from a gig (probably shattered because of the heat and becasue your an overweight DJ) and just park up and go to bed?

If so, who covers the gear - is it covered for theft by your gear insurance policy (Musicguard or the like) or by your van insurance? Or isn't it covered at all?

soundtracker
23-07-2006, 10:17 AM
Speak directly to your insurers, don't listen to urban myth and rumour

ian8limelight
23-07-2006, 10:25 AM
As most of you know, I'm in the market for a van to replace the trailer. However, I am fairly certain that it won't fit inside the garage.

Therefore, those of you who have vans, are you covered for leaving the gear in the van overnight. Surely there are times when you get back from a gig (probably shattered because of the heat and becasue your an overweight DJ) and just park up and go to bed?

If so, who covers the gear - is it covered for theft by your gear insurance policy (Musicguard or the like) or by your van insurance? Or isn't it covered at all?

I've got a van and the actual Van Insurance DOES NOT cover the contents. However, there is an optional ad-on to the Musicguard Insurance which does cover the equipment BUT there are various stipulations (e.g. have to have Thatcham 1 Immobilser & Alarm, must not be in view, etc).

http://www.musicguard.co.uk/Flexi%20wording%20view%20only.pdf

Ricesnaps
23-07-2006, 10:25 AM
Ok, but all I really wanted to get a feel for was whether people with vans had cover that allowed them to leave gear in the van overnight not in a locked garage

Shaun
23-07-2006, 11:41 AM
I leave my gear in the van outside at times (when I'm too tired after a gig). I "believe" musicguard covers me. My van is "caged in the back (it's not accesible from the front cabin in the event of a break-in"). It has an imobilisor. I also have a cctv camera (records 24 hours a day) that points to the vehicle with a motion sensitive hallogen light that triggers as soon as anyone goes near it. All this is directly outside my bedroom window and I like to sleep with my bedroom window open at all times anyway. To top it off I park my 4x4 right up tight against the back door of the van. The only way in is through the roof with a tin opener..lol.

I think I'm safe enough.

BeerFunk
23-07-2006, 11:53 AM
Definitely. Also, you have to remember with insurers that they'd do almost anything to get out of paying out! So make sure you read all the small print in your policy ;)

Have a disco
23-07-2006, 07:02 PM
ricey may I suggest going down to colchester auctions they are forever selling Blue Omega Securicor vans there, and they always have inbuilt security system and always have full service history as well. But I believe that Musicguard do cover your gear if on your drive or outside the front

Creature
24-07-2006, 02:31 AM
correct me if i am wrong but i sdeem to remembere reading somewhere that yep musicgaurd covers ya goods in your van,but only if your with it