PDA

View Full Version : Weddings - Do you think B&G's worry too much about their first dance(s)?

Shakermaker Promotions
30-08-2010, 12:14 PM
The title probably doesn't make too much sense but I have noticed over the past year or so that I have had a few Brides and Grooms that have decided against having certain songs for their first dance(s) because of the lyrics or title etc...

Now, that probably doesn't make sense again....

What should a first dance song be about?
Should it be a song that means something special to the Bride & Groom?
It could be that it's the track that got them together?
It could be the lyrics that mean something special to them?
Or it could be that it's just a song that they both like?

My own wedding 6 years ago - My first dance(s) were:
Green Day - (Good Riddance) Time of My Life
The Verve - Lucky Man

The Green Day track is subtitled 'Good Riddance' but that didn't bother us at all. It was the fact that we both love the song. I picked 'Lucky Man' because that's what I was/am....a lucky man!

I have had 2 weddings over the past 3 years where the Bride & Groom have NOT had any idea at all about a first dance and asked for suggestions. When I have gone through the ways of picking it (as stated above), the songs that they have come up with (for example..when they met), they have felt that they haven't been appropriate for a first dance so in the end they have gone with something that they don't really like (like 'Wonderful tonight') and to me, it doesn't / didn't seem that special. It was just like going through the motions.

To me, the whole atmosphere was gone on those occasions. I'm a big lump but I get all goose bumply when a couple are doing their first dance to a song that is special to them. Hopefully that moment is remembered and won't happen again so it has to be right.

I had a meeting last night with a couple who are both very nervous about doing their first dance. They had 2 song choices for their first dance and couldn't make up their minds as to which one to have. The tracks were Joe Cocker - You are so beautiful and Elvis Presley - The Wonder of you. I asked which they preferred and they both said the Elvis track but worried that it wasn't a slow one. I told them to have exactly what THEY wanted and not to worry about anyone else. I also advised them that it wasn't written in stone that they HAD to slow dance. If it made them feel more at ease to have something a bit more upbeat then they should go for it. Their first dance is now confirmed as The Wonder of You with the other track being played later on in the evening.

I've also noticed a few couples say "We want to get it out of the way as soon as possible"...Well, I was the same at my wedding BUT...you have to take into account that the evening guests arriving late may miss out on seeing it if it is done too early. I always advise the couples not to worry about a thing and think of me as a safety blanket. I am there to look after them and make them feel at ease. Some will want me to announce to everyone to join them on the dancefloor after around a minute but I don't feel this is long enough for (example) the photographer to get photos of them on their own on the dancefloor. Talking of photographers, in the meeting last night, I was told by the Bride and Groom that their photographer was leaving before the first dance!!!:eek: When I asked why, they told me that he was booked up until a certain time and if they wanted him to take photos of the first dance, it would cost extra and they would also have to feed him too.

I personally think that Brides and Grooms do worry far too much about the first dance(s). I do understand why as it's a big moment and obviously nerve wrecking for some. I also think that not having what you want as your first dance is a bit silly. On saturday at the wedding I did, I had a lady in her 50's come up to me and say that the song I was playing wasn't that great to be playing at a wedding. The song was 'Bad Romance' by Lady Gaga and it was requested by the Bride's daughter!

I think people should just enjoy their day, enjoy the party and music and have a good time and not delve too deep into the lyrics or titles of songs.

What do you think?

funksoulbrother
30-08-2010, 04:24 PM
Gary,
I think I would agree with what you have said, at the wedding I did on Saturday, they had chosen as their first dance's The Ramones - Baby I love You & Andy Williams - Can't Take My Eyes Off of You.

The bride was worried that the first track was too fast for a first dance. But they were special to them as they were also the first dances that they had had together when they first met. I had advised them not to worry, as they would be special to them, and it was "their wedding" and that I would introduce them as that on the evening.

On the night, I saw a few people exchanging looks with the first tune, but I announced part way through for the rest of the bridal party to join them on the floor. The second song has always been a crowd pleaser, so the B&G were happy bunnies.

2 weeks previous, at a wedding I was asked to play 3 first dance tracks, first 2 were standards, the 3rd being Tears of a Clown - Smokey Robinson(great track), with the B&G dancing with her mother. The track had been her father's favorite tune, but he had sadly passed away 2 years ago. Probably not the usual type of track, but special to the bride and her family.

James
31-08-2010, 11:58 PM
Over the last few years, i've had about 5/6 couples who never wanted a first dance at all

The best one was this irish couple a few years ago, it was about 10pm at night and they still hadn't had the first dance, so i went over to remind them, and the guy was like" arhhh forget it, just play on"

my type of people

yourdj
01-09-2010, 09:25 PM
Most of the time it's

"lets get it out of the way"

I guess most of them are nervous at being in the spot light. They all enjoy it when they are up there and everyone starts to join in however.

Depends on the track selection. I have had some terrible ones this year and you can see the guests dancing because they feel obliged too LOL.

The best is the oldies who get up for you and me song - when it goes in to the rock bit :)

Vectis
02-09-2010, 09:38 AM
The best is the oldies who get up for you and me song - when it goes in to the rock bit :)

Nah - the best is when the oldies get up to shuffle along to 'Diamonds are Forever' by Shirley Bassey and then at about 1:20 in it cuts to 'Diamonds from Sierra Leone' by Kanye and they're obliged to stay on the floor :D :D

Or 'Nothing else matters' by Lucie Silvas which similarly cuts to 'Nothing else matters' by Metallica :D :D :D :D

Both hilarious and will sit in my treasured video clips folder forever.

yourdj
02-09-2010, 09:48 AM
Nah - the best is when the oldies get up to shuffle along to 'Diamonds are Forever' by Shirley Bassey and then at about 1:20 in it cuts to 'Diamonds from Sierra Leone' by Kanye and they're obliged to stay on the floor :D :D

Or 'Nothing else matters' by Lucie Silvas which similarly cuts to 'Nothing else matters' by Metallica :D :D :D :D

Both hilarious and will sit in my treasured video clips folder forever.

I might try that with an unedited version :p

Hes the greatest dancer and gettin jiggy with it would be a good one too. :)