PDA

View Full Version : Help.Which Mobile Lights to buy???????

scoopd
23-07-2006, 09:39 PM
Guys,
I'm starting out with my own gear as instead of hiring in. I'm looking to spend around £400 on lights .It has been suggested I go for 250w Barrel moving heads on a bar but that's a s much as I know about lights. I did fancy the light boxes but have been told that they are so 1970's
I also want a couple of lights to sit on left and right of a table for Weddings etc and possibly fancy the Acme fiesta for that?I would very much appreciate what you feel I could get for around the £400/500 budget all in with controller if req? I would ,ideally,like something that you could control the brightness if you have an older crowd
Bottom line is there's too much choice and not enough time
Thanks

Scoopd

Candybeatdiscos
23-07-2006, 10:06 PM
centre boxes are best m8...may be 70's but still heavilly used

dj_ags
23-07-2006, 10:08 PM
Firstly, welcome to the forum! :beer: :teeth:

Why not set up a thread in the "Newbies" area of the forum, in order to tell other members a little bit more about yourself :)

In answer to your question, i am just going to give you a few ideas about what you could buy.

Firstly, you could opt to go for a pair of moonflower effects that you can sit on the table. The two most popular moonflowers on the market at the moment are the EVL Spins and the NJD Datamoons, although there are more out there that are equally as good. I think the cheapest you can get a pair of EVLs for is around £300 a pair, and i think its around £210 a pair for a pair of NJD Datamoons.

EVL Spins (http://www.prosound-dj.com/spin-moonflower-pair-p-1182.html)

NJD Datamoons (http://www.djkit.co.uk/acatalog/NJD_Datamoon_from__109.html)

There are quite a few scanning effects on the market at the moment, and the most cost effective ones, in my opinion, is the Acme Dynamo scanners, which you can pick up for around £360 in a package consisting of 4 heads, a T-Bar stand, DMX leads and a CA-8 controller.

Acme Dynamo Scanner Package (http://www.djanddiscostuff.com/prodpage.asp?prodid=1527)

Hope this information helps :)

Have a disco
23-07-2006, 10:15 PM
Right I will say there is nothing wrong with light boxes but stick to 2' x 3' pair for the retro feel, then If your looking for barrel lights I have absolutetly no complaints for chauvet pizzazz or the DMX equivilant. they have maximum gobos and no dmx capabilities, but the sound to light show are brilliant and cover any sports hall you could think of locally. Worst comes to the worst turn the light boxes around and paint your name on the back in UV paint, use them in reverse so light hits you, you get the effect instead when plugged in.... It does look effective trust me... you could if you haggle get a pair for £300 and a pair of light boxes with controller for £200

If customers are complaining the just tell them would they like to take shares in your show to pay for more up to date lighting show, they will soon back down you are whom your show is after all trust me nothing wrong looking retro

Shaun
23-07-2006, 10:48 PM
I disagree about getting light boxes, DMX lighting is cheap enough now to have a nice modern show

Have a disco
23-07-2006, 11:01 PM
yeah but decent DMX lighting with a decent controller will cost at least £1000 for a decent set up not a BUDGET set up with minimal gobos

Shaun
23-07-2006, 11:33 PM
A budget dmx set-up is still better than light boxes in my opinion

Have a disco
23-07-2006, 11:38 PM
as soon as you buy a budget job your wanting to upgrade asap,,, might as well have saved for the better option in the first place than wasted your money on it hiding behing sa black screen is just pure lazyness. (and yes That is MY opinion) time it takes to set up the booth I would have been up & running

Alex - Cream Ents
23-07-2006, 11:39 PM
You can pick up a pair of NJD Datamoons, controller and flight case for £215 - fantastic units for the money.

Pair these up with perhaps the Acme Dynamo scanner (See DJ Ags post) and you've got a cost effective impressive looking show. The Datamoons are pretty indestructable and the Acme's offer excellent value for money.

As for frontage I'd say initially on a smaller budget just go for a cloth, looks very smart neatly boxed on a table. You can always get light boxes later if you wish but I would think the light boxes are a secondary concern to effects lighting.

Shaun
23-07-2006, 11:43 PM
as soon as you buy a budget job your wanting to upgrade asap,,, might as well have saved for the better option in the first place

Better to buy a budget DMX package and save for an upgrade than to buy lightboxes and feel like a throwback from the seventies.

*comments said tongue in cheek*

Have a disco
23-07-2006, 11:54 PM
Cant see anything wrong with this lookks effective using 24 channel light controoler

http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=793&stc=1

and yes this is my silver show the rest is turned on

hence retro lighting starts the night ie

UV
Lightboxes
Ropelights

the rest follows as the night goes on ie

PSL gobostars x 2
chauvet Pizzazz x 2
Laser EU pro4

adding to a modern but retro show that kicks

and yes older stuff gets turned off later till the end when all is on

star sting lights were wedded couples addition to night????

Shaun
23-07-2006, 11:58 PM
The whole light box thang just doesn't do it for me. Fair play to those of you that like and use them. It's just a preferance thing.

You have a nice looking clean set-up though Badger..

Have a disco
24-07-2006, 12:11 AM
Hence why I am a success in what I do

and yes eventually I would lve a dmx set up but with LED system lightboxes

Corabar Entertainment
24-07-2006, 12:12 AM
Each to their own.... people have different views, and the world would be very boring if we all thought and liked the same. However, if it was for my party, your set up would be my worst nightmare - I personally do not light like rope lights or screens, and I don't like lights at that level - they always seem to hit someone in the eyes. I prefer them hung on a bar. (and that's without the H&S issue, which I know has been mentioned before and you have assured everyone that your lights are imovable objects! :omg: )

Corabar Entertainment
24-07-2006, 12:15 AM
PS to the last post.... isn't the ropelight trailing on the floor a PLI claim waiting to happen?

Have a disco
24-07-2006, 12:18 AM
PS to the last post.... isn't the ropelight trailing on the floor a PLI claim waiting to happen?

No I think its better than having UV tape all around the disco marking where the disco area ends a rope light is the next best thing to an airport landing light system and it flashes as well but everyone to there own

Corabar Entertainment
24-07-2006, 12:20 AM
...But it's loose and easy to trip over.

Shaun
24-07-2006, 12:23 AM
Is that a tv I see behind the set-up? Whatcha watching?

Have a disco
24-07-2006, 12:31 AM
in the afternoon of that wedding it was the FA cup the groom asked me to bring the TV for that then I was watching Dr Who whilst awating the evening guests

Have a disco
24-07-2006, 12:35 AM
...But it's loose and easy to trip over.

You'll next expect me to put scaffolding around the disco with netting the way your talking ropelight was tightly tucked around everything liable to trip.

Dont be silly ropelights are ideal warning for letting people know there is a disco there. You getting all too PC about rope lights and stop baiting me

refer to this again hers your answer

Corabar Entertainment
24-07-2006, 12:37 AM
and stop baiting meI was asking a perfectly valid and civil question

Solitaire Events Ltd
24-07-2006, 12:48 AM
Hence why I am a success in what I do

I thought work was quiet for you? :teeth:

Have a disco
24-07-2006, 12:51 AM
It is compared to what Im used to it went quiet after this week end now hunting bookings again, for some strange reason england are not worldcup winners all have gone on holiday abroad etc etc

Solitaire Events Ltd
24-07-2006, 12:55 AM
Not being funny, but you're always moaning about lack of work up your way, and then you put a statement like that - it just doesn't add up?

Have a disco
24-07-2006, 01:09 AM
had a good 3 saturdays for once before and after it was quiet I could do want alot more work rather than Just DJ work

Solitaire Events Ltd
24-07-2006, 01:19 AM
had a good 3 saturdays for once before and after it was quiet I could do want alot more work rather than Just DJ work

What else then?

BeerFunk
24-07-2006, 01:21 AM
I think the 'rope lights around the gear' idea is pretty nifty actually - I believe Wolfie does the same? (don't quote me on that). I have some rope lights which I never use, so I might do that too :)
I also like the light screens, I think the modern ones look good, it's just the older ones which are a bit tacky.

On topic : They are about £200 each, but I highly recommend Twister 4's (either the older ones, or the newer HPs - the newer ones are slightly better, but not by too much)
when linked by DMX - they make an awesome automated show! :thumbs_up

Have a disco
24-07-2006, 01:23 AM
enough to make it affordable to live after expences, Im no better doing 1 disco a weekend than living on income support and I have to declare everything bar £15 to keep legal 4 hours work sometimes does not weigh up right or worth it. Not everyone gets what someof you ot do every weekend from discoing and I have to promote from nothing every week

Sorry off track will talk about living on a disco wage in another thread night all

Corabar Steve
24-07-2006, 01:29 AM
adding to a modern but retro show that kicks

and yes older stuff gets turned off later till the end when all is on

star sting lights were wedded couples addition to night????
Could you say that again, but this time in English please :teeth:

Have a disco
24-07-2006, 01:32 AM
what you need puctuation as well geesus

Corabar Entertainment
24-07-2006, 01:39 AM
and yes older stuff gets turned off later till the end when all is onI don't think any amount of punctuation would help that statement, Badger! :)

Solitaire Events Ltd
24-07-2006, 01:47 AM
what you need puctuation as well geesus

It would be good Badger, as I know you like a debate, but when you can't understand what is being posted, it makes it very difficult!

And it's Jesus...

Corabar Steve
24-07-2006, 01:51 AM
Words in an order that makes sense would help too

Ricesnaps
24-07-2006, 05:58 AM
Back on topic????

The problem we have here is the small budget - £400 for all your lighting is not a huge amount. So the key here I think is to consider what you want or need to achieve with it. The light box debate will run and run, but the easy answer is can you really afford to buy a pair and if you do at what cost to the rest of your show? Nobody will think your show looks bad if you go for a sheet over a table or similar, but some "might" think just light boxes are not a good look!

As for effect lighting, consider how much cover what you buy will give you - it's also worth understanding the venues you are likely to work in. No point buying a pair of barrel scans and only ever doing small pubs - probably overkill.

Generally, at this stage, I would suggest leaving the scans and barrel scans alone - wait until you have more money. Have a look for gobo moonflower lighting - much like the ones already mentioned - Twister 4, Datamoon etc... but see what you fancy, there is a lot of cheaper budget kit which is great, but make sure you always go for a 250 watt effect rather than the 100 watt or 50 watt ones, it'll be a good investment. as for moonflowers, I run a pair or Acme Fascinations and IMHO there great, but cost less.

If you really want a barrel effect, then maybe look at something which projects a gobo moonflower onto the barrel or mirror - something like the Jaguar or panther (Acme again I thing). A good very cheap altertantive to these (if you can find them) are the Acme Lynx - a quad mirror projecting a gobo moonflower.

The other thing to do is keep an eye on ebay. With the limitted budget, you could do worse than to stretch it a little by buying 2nd hand or new from some of the guys on there. Or maybe even ask the others on this forum. People are always selling off bits of kit, you never know, you might get something that way.

Good luck!

Corabar Steve
24-07-2006, 10:02 AM
Back on topic????Thanks Matt, I was trying to, but it helps if you can understand the posts

The problem we have here is the small budget - £400 for all your lighting is not a huge amount. So the key here I think is to consider what you want or need to achieve with it. The light box debate will run and run, but the easy answer is can you really afford to buy a pair and if you do at what cost to the rest of your show? Nobody will think your show looks bad if you go for a sheet over a table or similar, but some "might" think just light boxes are not a good look!Indeed, it's how a lot of us started out. One thing to take into account is that if you buy Light boxes / screens, it will take a fair chunk out of your budget

As for effect lighting, consider how much cover what you buy will give you - it's also worth understanding the venues you are likely to work in. No point buying a pair of barrel scans and only ever doing small pubs - probably overkill.Very true, you can always expand when you get more bookings or bookings in bigger venues. Or even hire extra lighting for bigger jobs if you need to.

Generally, at this stage, I would suggest leaving the scans and barrel scans alone - wait until you have more money. Have a look for gobo moonflower lighting - much like the ones already mentioned - Twister 4, Datamoon etc... but see what you fancy, there is a lot of cheaper budget kit which is great, but make sure you always go for a 250 watt effect rather than the 100 watt or 50 watt ones, it'll be a good investment. as for moonflowers, I run a pair or Acme Fascinations and IMHO there great, but cost less.or anything else in the Acme "Wild Tech" range, very nice budget lighting effects. You could get at least 3 lights from this range if not 4 on you budget

If you really want a barrel effect, then maybe look at something which projects a gobo moonflower onto the barrel or mirror - something like the Jaguar or panther (Acme again I thing). A good very cheap altertantive to these (if you can find them) are the Acme Lynx - a quad mirror projecting a gobo moonflower.Never seen the Lynx so I can't comment. Jaguars (barrel) & Panthers (flat mirror) are both a bit bulky. Acme also do Scimitars (barrel) & Super Leos (flat) both of which take up less room, they're a lot narrower.

The other thing to do is keep an eye on ebay. With the limitted budget, you could do worse than to stretch it a little by buying 2nd hand or new from some of the guys on there. Or maybe even ask the others on this forum. People are always selling off bits of kit, you never know, you might get something that way.there you have 2 other good options

pagan_flame
02-08-2006, 10:43 PM
2 x Datamoons - £209 HERE (http://www.djkit.co.uk/acatalog/NJD_Datamoon.html)

2 x Geni Spinmaster I's - £98 HERE (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2X-Mojo-Spinmaster-I-DJ-Lights-Disco-Equipment-Effect_W0QQitemZ220011054387QQihZ012QQcategoryZ149 84QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Still leaves you with a ton for a couple of other lights, (or more off Ebay)

Ignore the laser and the centre light on the floor - and OK so I have NJD Chaos 2's (not DMX'd like Datamoons) and Spin III's in the video, they are the inner 4 lights on the bar - plus my old faithful Geni Blazes on the outside - the top bar lights minus laser could easily be sourced for £400.

Video HERE (http://www.slingshot.uk.com/fd/photos/lights_mar06/fdr_lights_mar06.wmv) (2.8Meg, WMV file)

BeerFunk
02-08-2006, 11:20 PM
2 x Datamoons - £209 HERE (http://www.djkit.co.uk/acatalog/NJD_Datamoon.html)

2 x Geni Spinmaster I's - £98 HERE (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2X-Mojo-Spinmaster-I-DJ-Lights-Disco-Equipment-Effect_W0QQitemZ220011054387QQihZ012QQcategoryZ149 84QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Still leaves you with a ton for a couple of other lights, (or more off Ebay)

Ignore the laser and the centre light on the floor - and OK so I have NJD Chaos 2's (not DMX'd like Datamoons) and Spin III's in the video, they are the inner 4 lights on the bar - plus my old faithful Geni Blazes on the outside - the top bar lights minus laser could easily be sourced for £400.

Video HERE (http://www.slingshot.uk.com/fd/photos/lights_mar06/fdr_lights_mar06.wmv) (2.8Meg, WMV file)
Which units are creating the 'curve' effects moving about? In other words, the ones which are not just twister type effects (circle of gobos spinning around)

pagan_flame
03-08-2006, 09:39 AM
Which units are creating the 'curve' effects moving about? In other words, the ones which are not just twister type effects (circle of gobos spinning around)That's the Spin III's - good ol' Maplins kit! Not especially bright for a 250w effect, so good for small venues - even in larger venues you still get good patterns on the dancefloor - they sell for peanuts on Ebay, and can be DMX'd together (my two are DMX'd Master - Slave but just STL, not with a controller...)

Have a look HERE (http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=spinmaster&doy=3m8&source=15) - at the top left is a video file icon which shows you one on its own.

Creature
03-08-2006, 05:18 PM
i use 3 box lights on small rig and 6 on big rig - 2 are full size the other 4 are small ones. always get good comments on them - occasionally get nice to see the old lights again.

for your top bar can recomment njd datamoons - just brought 2 in a nice wooden box for £249.00

BeerFunk
03-08-2006, 07:57 PM
That's the Spin III's - good ol' Maplins kit! Not especially bright for a 250w effect, so good for small venues - even in larger venues you still get good patterns on the dancefloor - they sell for peanuts on Ebay, and can be DMX'd together (my two are DMX'd Master - Slave but just STL, not with a controller...)

Have a look HERE (http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=spinmaster&doy=3m8&source=15) - at the top left is a video file icon which shows you one on its own.
Well, for that price, they're a bargain! I am looking for some 'moving' effects to compliment my Twister 4 HPs - a couple of them might be just the ticket!

abyssdjhire
04-08-2006, 01:33 PM
no, they wont. the twisters will drown them out and make them look untidy

Solitaire Events Ltd
04-08-2006, 02:39 PM
no, they wont. the twisters will drown them out and make them look untidy

Ah, but that depends whether you are using them all at the same time and where you position them.

BeerFunk
04-08-2006, 04:22 PM
If you look at Pagan's video, he has several Twister type effects alongside them. Looks good.

I know what you're saying though, the newer Twister 4's are particularly bright, and tend to dominate the lightshow

pagan_flame
04-08-2006, 05:14 PM
If you look at Pagan's video, he has several Twister type effects alongside them.

I know what you're saying though, the newer Twister 4's are particularly bright, and tend to dominate the lightshowI have NJD Chaos 2's and Geni Blaze on the video - all 250w halogens... but if you want barrel scanners to compete with ultra-bright twisters then you are heading into discharge light territory - aren't they around 50 quid just for 1 bulb?

spin mobile disco
01-09-2006, 02:15 AM
People forget that the light boxes have a speed controller on them and make very nice background mood lighting for the slower songs , as well as covering up the from of lighting or speaker stands. Modern lighting i.e dmx and projection type is very good for certain venues but if just starting out have a look at lighting like the xtc's they only cost about £50 and they look as good as the expensive stuff. sometime all the punters look at is how much you have on your lighting bar and not what it is. Try looking for gobos projectors as well as they are normally fan cooled and can be left on for long periods. Mini moons or similar are ok but avoid anything at 50 watt as they require the room to be very dark to look half decent. 100 watt is ok for long term use as the bulbs will last longer than a 250 watt. "50 watt effects are the first choice but check it has a bulb saver switch on it. I have 8 lighting effects that have bulb saver switches on and i find the bulbs tend to double or even triple the lifespan of the bulb compared to my other lighting without. Remember also not all venues will be for younger people you may find older people over 40 for example do not like the more modern effects and prefer instead the old lightbox style ighting. I recently made myself a pair of lightboxed using led lighting and they are certainly nothing like the old 70's pigmy bulb lite boxes, for a start i run them with 16 million colours linked to my dmx controller and they only cost me about £150 to build. Hope this helps but remember dmx is only worth it if you can afford enough of it to make a decent showing else you would be better off with sound activated until then.

Corabar Steve
01-09-2006, 09:57 AM
I recently made myself a pair of lightboxed using led lighting and they are certainly nothing like the old 70's pigmy bulb lite boxes, for a start i run them with 16 million colours linked to my dmx controller and they only cost me about £150 to build.Have a word with Badger (Have-A-Disco) He's in the market for something like that, if you're prepared to make some for somebody else.