PDA

View Full Version : Minimal Lighting

DynamoTom
06-09-2010, 01:46 PM
Hello,

I have been booked for a golden wedding party which is being held on saturday. The client has requested no effect lighting.

I was wondering weather there is any alternatives that I could do/use that will allow me to still use lighting but not flashing etc?

I was thinking of using 4 led par cans behind me uplighting the back wall/coloums and then a magic gobo moonflower on a tripod stand with a flame effect machine infront of the tripod either side of the dj booth.

What do you think?

Cheers,

Tom

Shaun
06-09-2010, 01:49 PM
What do you think?

I think a little more care is required to ensure that posts are in the most relevant forum section. I'll move it to the equipment forum on this occasion, but I have been deleting threads where care has not been given at the time of posting. Correct placement aids us in keeping the forum tidy, so we appreciate everyone's help in this matter. Please have a read of the link below. Thanks.

http://www.forum.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7411

Solitaire Events Ltd
06-09-2010, 01:50 PM
2 led pars aimed at the ceiling will be fine.

Shaun
06-09-2010, 01:52 PM
As no effects lighting as required I would imagine the par cans would suffice.

Edit: Darren posted as I was typing.

DynamoTom
06-09-2010, 01:53 PM
2 led pars aimed at the ceiling will be fine.

I was looking to put out a bit more than 2 led par cans if I can.

DynamoTom
06-09-2010, 01:54 PM
As no effects lighting as required I would imagine the par cans would suffice.

Edit: Darren posted as I was typing.

I could still use the Acme Magic Gobo moonflowers that I have got but DMX control them and set them on slow motion onto the dancefloor?

Shaun
06-09-2010, 01:58 PM
Slow motion or not it's still effects lighting aimed at the dancefloor. As the client has specifically mentioned no effects lighting I think you'd be better to listen to your clients and scale back appropriately. Par cans will be absolutely fine in my opinion.

DynamoTom
06-09-2010, 02:04 PM
Slow motion or not it's still effects lighting aimed at the dancefloor. As the client has specifically mentioned no effects lighting I think you'd be better to listen to your clients and scale back appropriately. Par cans will be absolutely fine in my opinion.

Where would I place the led par cans as I am not using the 4 metre truss or 4ft deckstand?

Shaun
06-09-2010, 02:09 PM
On the floor behind you pointing up to the ceiling, or along the walls of the venue. It's hard to be specific without knowing the layout of the room.

DynamoTom
06-09-2010, 02:24 PM
On the floor behind you pointing up to the ceiling, or along the walls of the venue. It's hard to be specific without knowing the layout of the room.

The venue is Harewood Down's Golf Club.

soundtracker
06-09-2010, 02:30 PM
The venue is Harewood Down's Golf Club.

Oh in that case definitely behind you pointing up at the ceiling.

DynamoTom
06-09-2010, 02:33 PM
Oh in that case definitely behind you pointing up at the ceiling.

Ok, I will see what I can do in the 30 minute set up time.

DeckstarDeluxe
06-09-2010, 03:37 PM
I was looking to put out a bit more than 2 led par cans if I can.

Put three out then....

If they requested no effect lighting then whats the issue?

DynamoTom
06-09-2010, 03:42 PM
Put three out then....

If they requested no effect lighting then whats the issue?

There isn't a issue. I think it would look better with some kind of lighting.

Jiggles
06-09-2010, 03:45 PM

What you think and what the client wants are two different things! The client wants NO effect lighting so give them a rig with no effect lighting! They are paying you so do what they want!

Corabar Entertainment
06-09-2010, 03:46 PM
But you seem to think that every gig would look better with more lighting! :lol:

This gig has got to be torture for you with your obsession on lighting!

If the client says they don't want it, why would you even contemplate trying to 'sneak' some in?

Shaun
06-09-2010, 03:48 PM

Despite what the client has specified?

You have a lot to learn young padawan.

Corabar Entertainment
06-09-2010, 03:48 PM
PS: If you REALLY want to do something extra, try talking to the client.... they might appreciate a mirror ball, but not realise that it's feasible for a mobile disco to put on.

DynamoTom
06-09-2010, 03:50 PM
PS: If you REALLY want to do something extra, try talking to the client.... they might appreciate a mirror ball, but not realise that it's feasible for a mobile disco to put on.

I will stick to putting 4 led par cans uplighting the walls behind me and a flame machine effect either side of the booth.

DeckstarDeluxe
06-09-2010, 03:54 PM
I will stick to putting 4 led par cans uplighting the walls behind me and a flame machine effect either side of the booth.

For Christ sake Tom they have told you no effects.

Why cant you get into your head your clients know what they want more than someone with very little experience?

Sorry to say it but with that attitude you will not get very far in this industry.

DynamoTom
06-09-2010, 04:01 PM
For Christ sake Tom they have told you no effects.

Why cant you get into your head your clients know what they want more than someone with very little experience?

Sorry to say it but with that attitude you will not get very far in this industry.

Darren and Shaun suggested using 2 led par cans on the celling ??

That is still using lighting

DeckstarDeluxe
06-09-2010, 04:03 PM
Darren and Shaun suggested using 2 led par cans on the celling ??

That is still using lighting

Which is what you should be using.

They wont want flame effect lighting if they have said "NO EFFECT LIGHTING!

DynamoTom
06-09-2010, 04:06 PM
Which is what you should be using.

They wont want flame effect lighting if they have said "NO EFFECT LIGHTING!

I class effect lighting as moonflowers, led effects etc and also scanners and movers

Solitaire Events Ltd
06-09-2010, 04:19 PM
Yeah, well anyway, just use a few pars either for uplighting or on a bar aimed at the ceiling.

Shaun
06-09-2010, 05:03 PM
[ will to live I've the lost ]

Re-arrange as applicable. :)

funkymook
06-09-2010, 05:29 PM
You'll be fine with a few led pars behind you (and maybe one or two around the room) set to a nice subtle slow fade - don't have them too lively! Anything much more than that and you will be going against your clients instructions (but I agree a mirror ball could look very nice in this case as well). It's a bit of a cliche that sometimes less is more - but in this case it most definitely is!

You'll be thanked and complimented if you keep the lighting subtle and classy - and that's where recomendations and repeat bookings come from.

Booche
06-09-2010, 05:30 PM
Tom LISTEN TO YOUR CLIENT, if you feel 2 pars isn't enough use a couple more, if you look at what Paul(Spirits High) has done on a few occasions were he has not used any over head bar and just used a few pars and his clients were more then happy.

Why are you so determined to use everything or add things is beyond me :(

@ Shaun, ive passed that stage mate lol

Cheers Dave :)

TONYTIGER
06-09-2010, 07:57 PM
I had a 70th birthday last month no lights required ,just took the front cloth and pointed star cluster laser at the very high ceiling they danced all night and send it was the first time they had ever enjoyed a disco.
TOM DO AS YOU ARE TOLD by the client and you wont go far wrong.

DynamoTom
06-09-2010, 10:26 PM
I am now worried about using my starcloth because some of the programs are chases and some of the chases strobe and flicker on and off so I am wondering weather that will effect her illness of lighting effects?

Dynamic Entertainment
06-09-2010, 10:28 PM
I am now worried about using my starcloth because some of the programs are chases and some of the chases strobe and flicker on and off so I am wondering weather that will effect her illness of lighting effects?

Have it on "static on"......

funkymook
06-09-2010, 10:29 PM

Either have it on static or don't turn it on at all :)

Corabar Steve
06-09-2010, 10:30 PM
I am wondering weather that will effect her illness of lighting effects?
WTF? eh?

DynamoTom
06-09-2010, 10:33 PM
WTF? eh?

The reason why she has requested no lighting effects is because she suffers from a illness which makes her go all funny etc when lighting effects are used. Also some of her family suffer with it.

Charlie Brown
06-09-2010, 10:34 PM
WTF? eh?

:lol:

Beat me too it!

I think Tom means epilepsy. ;)

I suffer from a rare condition - illness of hair dryers.

Charlie Brown
06-09-2010, 10:36 PM
The reason why she has requested no lighting effects is because she suffers from a illness which makes her go all funny etc when lighting effects are used. Also some of her family suffer with it.

Ohhh...Martiningitis?

DynamoTom
06-09-2010, 10:37 PM

Beat me too it!

I think Tom means epilepsy. ;)

I suffer from a rare condition - illness of hair dryers.

Yes, that is what I mean't.

Corabar Steve
06-09-2010, 10:42 PM
Yes, that is what I mean't.
I think I may have found my missing comma from earlier. It's masquerading as an apostrophe where an apostrophe ain't supposed to be :sj:

Cowlinn
06-09-2010, 10:52 PM
she suffers from a illness which makes her go all funny etc when lighting effects are used.

:lol: That line is brilliant!!

Tom, having a cousin who is epileptic you really don't want to be taking any chances, i'd stay clear of the MagicGobos, and try to avoid the starcloth, or leave it turned off.

4 Pars behind you should be fine, good luck :approve:

DeckstarDeluxe
06-09-2010, 10:53 PM
Right so static starcloth is ok
Led Par Cans is ok

Job done!

Dynamic Entertainment
06-09-2010, 10:57 PM
Yep, par cans behind. If you desperately have to have lighting on the dancefloor (i know what your like ;) ), have par cans only on very slow colour fade, thats usually ok for epileptics, but check with the client.

DO NOT use flame machines, if she is that sensive the the flickering silk could set her off too

DynamoTom
06-09-2010, 11:34 PM
Yep, par cans behind. If you desperately have to have lighting on the dancefloor (i know what your like ;) ), have par cans only on very slow colour fade, thats usually ok for epileptics, but check with the client.

DO NOT use flame machines, if she is that sensive the the flickering silk could set her off too

I will either set the 4 led par cans to a static colour that the client can choose or use a very slow colour fade.

As for flame machines, I will take them along with me and check with the client to see if they are ok to use.

Dynamic Entertainment
06-09-2010, 11:39 PM
I will either set the 4 led par cans to a static colour that the client can choose or use a very slow colour fade.

As for flame machines, I will take them along with me and check with the client to see if they are ok to use.

And if she says yeah...then has a seizure....

Im guessing that your client wont have had prior experience with flame machines, so wont have a basis to work on. Is it really worth it?

DynamoTom
06-09-2010, 11:41 PM
And if she says yeah...then has a seizure....

Im guessing that your client wont have had prior experience with flame machines, so wont have a basis to work on. Is it really worth it?

I don't know if the client has had prior experience flame machines. I am willing to give it ago and see what the out come is.

Jiggles
06-09-2010, 11:44 PM
I don't know if the client has had prior experience flame machines. I am willing to give it ago and see what the out come is.

I can't believe I'm reading this! :bang: You could be juggling someone's life here if they have sensitive photo-epilepsy. If it all goes wrong its YOUR head on the line!

Gareth
06-09-2010, 11:44 PM

Holly Bejesus (Anyone else watched pinapple express?) Tom take the advice of the people surrounding you. If you cannot do this gig without YOUR desired lighting, then this is probably not the gig for you. They want NO lighting effects so that means no flame machines etc. As already mentioned a couple of cans would be fine. :bang:

DynamoTom
06-09-2010, 11:45 PM
I can't believe I'm reading this! :bang: You could be juggling someone's life here if they have sensitive photo-epilepsy. If it all goes wrong its YOUR head on the line!

I shall not bother with the flame machines for this gig then.

Dynamic Entertainment
06-09-2010, 11:45 PM

I DJ for a group/charity about 4 times a year who have several epileptics, its a disability (i hate using that word) group, and even the flame machines are a complete no-no.

Corabar Entertainment
06-09-2010, 11:47 PM
I am willing to give it ago and see what the out come is.I really can't believe I've just read that!

I had to read it 3 times to make sure I hadn't mis-understood something! :eek:

DynamoTom
06-09-2010, 11:47 PM
Holly Bejesus (Anyone else watched pinapple express?) Tom take the advice of the people surrounding you. If you cannot do this gig without YOUR desired lighting, then this is probably not the gig for you. They want NO lighting effects so that means no flame machines etc. As already mentioned a couple of cans would be fine. :bang:

I am going to be using 4-6 led par cans behind me and have my led starcloth on static.

I have also got a pair of American DJ Sunray TRI LED Starballs which give out a mirror ball effect, would these be ok if I set them on a slow rotate on static colours?

DynamoTom
06-09-2010, 11:48 PM
I DJ for a group/charity about 4 times a year who have several epileptics, its a disability (i hate using that word) group, and even the flame machines are a complete no-no.

Not even a pair of small flame machines which will sit on top of the subs?

deltaforce
06-09-2010, 11:49 PM
I shall not bother with the flame machines for this gig then.
At last got there in the end
thats just what its like trying to tell my kids something :D

Dynamic Entertainment
06-09-2010, 11:49 PM
Nope. Its the flickering which causes problems. I know one woman who is so sensitive she cant be in a room with flourescent tube lighting

DeckstarDeluxe
06-09-2010, 11:51 PM
Tom,

Clearly you are unable or unwilling to provide what the client needs so why on earth did you take this gig?

DynamoTom
06-09-2010, 11:51 PM
Nope. Its the flickering which causes problems. I know one woman who is so sensitive she cant be in a room with flourescent tube lighting

Ok, I shall not use them for this particular gig then.

DynamoTom
06-09-2010, 11:52 PM
Tom,

Clearly you are unable or unwilling to provide what the client needs so why on earth did you take this gig?

I am not unable or unwilling to provide what the client wants, I was just looking for alternatives which I could use but still use some form of lighting.

Corabar Steve
07-09-2010, 12:02 AM
Why won't you listen to the advice of people with far more experience than you????????????

Charlie Brown
07-09-2010, 12:04 AM
The more I read this thread the more I want to rip up my laptop, burn it and smash the parts to pieces.

Excuse the bluntness but you're being thick.

"No lighting because it could have serious effects on my well being & health." - means NO LIGHTING.

Just forget it. Few pars behind you with a static starcloth. Done.

If anybody else contributes to this thread they're crackers! :sj:

DeckstarDeluxe
07-09-2010, 12:06 AM
I am not unable or unwilling to provide what the client wants, I was just looking for alternatives which I could use but still use some form of lighting.

Re-read the whole thread Tom because it goes against what you have just just said!

Corabar Steve
07-09-2010, 12:13 AM
Neil's crackers

Ooops! So am I :sj:

Charlie Brown
07-09-2010, 12:49 AM
Neil's crackers

Ooops! So am I :sj:

That's Jacobs job. :taxi:

Larry B Entertainment
07-09-2010, 07:32 AM

"A long-lasting convulsive seizure (called "tonic-clonic status epilepticus") is a medical emergency. If not stopped within about 30 minutes, it may cause permanent injury or death. In addition, people with epilepsy can also die from inhaling vomit during or just after a seizure. This can be prevented if someone will turn the person onto one side when the seizure begins and ensures that the vomit completely comes out of the mouth. In general, seizures are hardly ever fatal, even if the person loses consciousness"

This is what the outcome could be.

There is more here - http://www.epilepsy.com/101/ep101_death

Does that extra lighting and flame machines seem worth it now ?

Solitaire Events Ltd
07-09-2010, 08:59 AM
Enough is enough.

Just use led pars.

Thread closed.